Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please take part in this undergraduate study.

Poster: A snowHead
Have you ever wondered why certain people just don’t enjoy thrills the same as you? We are conducting an experiment to try and figure out what causes people to take risks in high risk sports. This survey will only take 10mins and will help me to do my 3rd year project at uni. Also there is a prize draw at the end if you need further incentive. Please click the link below to take part, if you cannot click on the link simply open a new tab on your browser and enter the link into the search bar. Thank you.

https://survey.psychology.bangor.ac.uk/mediation
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, that was a weird one! Best of luck with it anyhow Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh no not another one...lamb to the slaughter Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmilton.05saa, one of the better ones I've seen. Done.

For me I do MTBing and Skiing, now which is my primary risk sport? I'd define myself as a skier not an MTBer, yet my CT scan records would say otherwise...

To address your hypothesis, I believe one can like risk and deliberately seeking it and exhilaration, and still like talking about feelings, the smell of fresh bread and puppies.... Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

one of the better ones I've seen. Done.

You only said that cos its short!

The reason most of the surveys are redic boring and long is because you end up with a much more reliable data set for people's ten a penny 'attitude to risk' projects with the repetitive surveys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mmilton.05saa, slightly dodgy questions on the first page but not as bad as some will make out. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OFFS! is this knobcheese regurgitating this old survey AGAIN!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mmilton.05saa, Why no mention of polo? Looking at the stats it, and other eqestrian sports are te highest risk things I get up to! Dogtag cover me for pretty much anything ski, racing yachts way offshore but draw the line at polo, go figure!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How many near misses? In 22 years? no idea. gave up
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, About where I gave up as well after finding a couple of questions I couldn't give an answer to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A guesstimate of "near misses" is sufficient presumably - say I have x many a year and I've doing it for y years - if the study is looking at your perception of risk and danger, rather than an attempt to objectively measure risk and danger, or even what "near miss" actually means.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiing and MTB dangerous sport? Road cycling is far more dangerous
Where is technical diving on mixed gas rebreathers, now that has some real risk
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
these are the same responses that the last fookwit to post this crap received rolling eyes don't fed the troll
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But the question is not about how dangerous skiing and MTB are. The question is about how dangerous you think they are - and obviously they are a piece of wee wee in comparison to polo and technical diving on mixed gas rebreathers, so you feel you've had very few "near misses" whilst participating in skiing or MTB.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
miranda, thank you, you define the paucity of the poster's thougt . . . I get the feeling that we are being used by Bangor Uni to bolster their creds
ski holidays
Done - good luck.

I know a company who paid ALOT of money for a client survey - 96 questions..... 12 responses..... god knows how many clients lost....
ski holidays
mmilton.05saa, Check your spelling.

Is this based on an Aspergers Perspective of the relative importance of Perceived Self in relation to Risk Participation?

Better to investigate Perceived Risk in Self Participatory sports.

"Near" is an intangible portion of "risk".

"Dead" is a tangible element of "risk".
ski holidays
I love it when the real world intrude into academia . . . I do wonder if mmilton.05saa has the ability to swim in the shark tank he/she/it has jumped (been pushed?) into?
ski holidays
Masque, Jumped surely, no one gets pushed into posting here do they?
But since they have only posted 5 times they have jumped with their eyes closed and not seen the rocks they were about to land on.
Maybe there should be a special section for surveys Madeye-Smiley
snow report
robapplegate, I doubt thatmmilton.05saa understands anything that's been written here . . . and that is the saddest thing of all Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
mmilton.05saa, you might like to try posting over here as well http://www.Snivel.com/forum/ or here http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forum.php

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-12-12 1:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just been on the snow reports section, it's feeling left out and wants a survey too Laughing
snow report
robapplegate, Very Happy
snow report
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=530685
ski holidays
On the rocks, Laughing Hmm.. near identical critical comments on the survey from two seperate web forums might indicate to the survey creator (if he or his institution aspires to any academic rigour) that his survey is badly flawed....
snow report
Quote:

if he or his institution aspires to any academic rigour

Highly doubtful. This will just be some crappy project for 10% of a 10 credit module or something. There is NO WAY that survey would have been let loose for a dissertation.
snow report
kat.ryb, you never know...
ski holidays
Amazingly it has been posted on TGR and they haven't torn him to shreds! Are they mellowing as time passes? http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/255550-Please-take-part-in-this-undergraduate-study
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, at least someone is still up to standard
Quote:
I took it, but what a horrible survey good thing I am not your prof. I would fail you before you even started.
snow report
Well sort if achilles, but think that is pretty tame by TGR standards!
ski holidays
davkt, Juvenile Angst is a bright but short lived flame . . . Alzheimer Anger is a slow burning log that can be used to beat the crap out of Bangor's puerile methodology (sp?) . . . I've not had a reply to either on my emails.
snow report
Masque, could you share the emails you sent with us, please?
snow report
miranda, I'll give Bangor Uni a bit more time as I think this is quite serious and not something that should be lightheartedly tossed around. For all my ability to perform as a sphincter I value education above all things and seeing the same regurgitated poop turn up year on year is not just an insult to our intelligence but also a bell weather warning as to the standard of student. We have a collective responsibility to push these contributors to a higher level . . . well at least a level that is a couple of steps up from GCSE rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, ok, looking forward to seeing the email you sent to the supervisor at some point; either when he has replied, or when you think he's had enough time and is not going to reply.
ski holidays
Most high risk sports are ignored in that survey. Skiing, MTB and kayaking don't attract any rating for life insurance. There are about 20 others that do. More people from the UK become permanently disabled from zorbing than from skiing each year according to the actuaries and underwriters
ski holidays
Thornyhill, Yes, fortunately none of skiing friends have been killed or permanently disabled in some way by their chosen sport, unfortunately some of my horse riding friends have.
ski holidays
ahh...the joy of research ethics...If I had a spare hour I'd have a rant about the fact that the survey was even posted here, but hey ho - if the study is poorly designed and received then the student will have plenty to write about in their Limitations. So, goes around, comes around.

EDIT - oh and if you want a quicker response, you may wish to contact the Chair of the Ethics committee in the department the study came from.
snow conditions
Done, although as other have mentioned you are missing horse riding which is certainly my true main high risk sport. I rarely leave the mountain thankful I'm still in one piece, getting back from a ride on a new horse is another matter entirely! aj xx
snow report
Interesting that I have never taken up any high risk sports - but I now discover that I have done them for over 30 years! What is this fetish that people have with describing perfectly ordinary sports - rock climbing, skiing, mountainbiking, mountaineering etc as "high risk" or "dangerous". During those years friends have been injured skiing (mainly racing on dendix!), injured or killed mountaineering, but also friends have died of heart attacks or cancer. I don't see these sports as any more high risk than just living.
ski holidays
Maybe it was an error to label the sports "high risk" on the questionnaire but I don't this study says it is investigating all high risk sports, or the highest risk sports. The study focuses on sports that are presumably of a fairly similar risk level. It of course would not make sense to include sports that a) will make it difficult for a student in Bangor to find a large enough sample size and b) are significantly higher or lower in risk than the rest of the sports in the list - perhaps this is why Polo is not on there.

I'm sure there are studies out there looking at smokers and excessive drinkers and those who are engaging in behaviour that might raise their chances of developing cancer or heart disease.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy