Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V escapade Jan 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've read some of the old posts on here and after reading I'm still wondering if this challenge is doable for me. Also a lot of the older posts relate to an older version, with different checkpoints. First of all Ive read in some places that the new 3V map doesnt include the whole of the Orelle area - I have rummaged in my loft and found last seasons crumpled map in my jacket - is the furthest lift for the escapade Bouchet?

I have stayed in Brides les Bains many times now and always ski over into Courcheval, Les Menuires and St Martin - I have skiied all over Meribel and Courcheval and I have done almost all of the checkpoint lifts in those two valleys already. last year I made it to VT too. I am happy on blues, and reds, although I try to stick to 'easy' reds as I'm not great on narrow stretches... I did finally conquer my fear of steepness 2 years ago, so I dont have much of an issue if its not too mogully.

I prefer skiing in Courcheval if I have the choice, and I also enjoyed VT last year, so I hope to have the time to also do some of my favourite runs too, which I think is possible if I take the 3 days...

3 questions:

1) I have 3 days - is it achievable for me to ski the escapade challenge without having to loose the enjoyment of a ski break!? I plan to get the first lift up every morning, and need to be on the gondola down to Brides by 5pm (I think thats the last time - maybe 5.30?) I do like to enjoy the view, and do take pictures on the way, so I dont rush eveywhere at full speed, but eat packed lunch on the go, so no long lunch breaks. Not super confident, but gaining more each season - I probably think Im not as good as I could be if I had the confidence. Should I head to Orelle first, to get that done, and be on my way back the rest of the day?

2) I have spent the last 5/6 years avoiding drag lifts due to bad experiences in the past - I find it hard to keep my balance and skis parallel (dodgy knees) - they had a mind of their own. I have no idea, therefore, if my improved skiing ability (the last time I did a drag lift I was scared of blue runs) will mean I can cope with drag lifts. I can see the Roc de Tounge, one of the checkpoints, is a difficult drag - am I likely to struggle? How steep is it? And how long? Will I be able to hang on to the top? And, more importantly, if I do fall off, how difficult am I going to find it to get somewhere I can ski down (bearing in mind I almost certainly wont be able to ski 'bartvelle' alongside it)

3)If I do all the other checkpoints but whimp out on Roc de Tounge, is there a way to 'cheat' (I know, I'm only cheating myself...) and tap my lift pass through, but not actually take the lift? Can I go through and then chicken out? I presume they arent going to force me on if I change my mind? - Going when queues shouldnt be too bad, so hopefully wont cause a scene/ hold up!

I really want to take on the challenge - I have been to the 3V so many times I ski the same runs, in the same order every time, and I sort of just ski from here to there and back, without a purpose... I'd like to have somewhere to head, with a goal - and I'm a sucker for a free certificate!!! Not super confident, or stylish, but certainly capable....

I would really appreciate comments/ feedback on my 'issues' - just keeping everything crossed the weather and lifts are good for me so I can cross over valleys without having to change game plans, as I dont have the luxary of having a down day....

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

It is possible to do it in a day, so I'm sure you can do it in 3 days.. check out the follwong link for some route ideas..
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I asked about a circuit the other day on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94419

Hoping to nail it in a day but not sure where to start from in Val Thorens as this is where we are staying.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piece of cake to do it in 3 days!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skrabble, I've answered this in the other thread.

SnoMonkey, 3 days is certainly enough - split them VT/Orelle, W Meribel/Les Menuires/La Masse/St Martin, E Meribel/La Tania/Courchevel.

The Roc de Tougne is the toughest drag in the 3V's so maybe you should practice on an easier one first? Cherferie in Meribel is a similar length with bends but not as steep.

On the plus side Roc de Tougne is a pisted double drag so if you do fall off you can ski short turns straight back down. There's only off piste or bumpy black either side. You could easily register the gate and back away without going through but it's not really the point is it? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The Roc de Tougne is the toughest drag in the 3V's

That was horrible! I thought "can't possible that drag I'm heading for and snowboarded right past it, had to jump/hike back up about 30m of slope to get to it. Then it knackers you out and you can;t even check the map as too busy concentrating! Nightmare when you're trying to get round in a day.

I didn't actually think the drag was too difficult tho? Just annoying for the rest/ map reasons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

The Roc de Tougne is the toughest drag in the 3V's

I didn't actually think the drag was too difficult tho? Just annoying for the rest/ map reasons.

It's not difficult in terms of being bumpy, narrow or twisty but the length and the steepness is intimidating to some people.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting...! Was in La Tania last year and never quite got round to doing the Escapade but heading to Meribel on the 2nd Feb so hopefully give it a try then. Hoping that's the week the lift times get extended so give us a little insurance. Looking at the La Tania route, thinking that by starting on Plan de l'Homme and heading to the VT valley first will hopefully give us the insurance of finishing off in the Coucheval Valley with the opportunity to bail out back into the Meribel valley late on if we're behind schedule. Guess a lot of it is down to missing lift queues and having good conditions.

The beer will be well earned at the end of that day!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have skied the 3V for over 20 years so have covered all the Escapade lifts many times but never bothered to collect the certificate. One day last winter we were using the circuit as a way of deciding where to ski. We needed to go up Col but by the time we got there the wind had got up and it was shut. We went to the entrance and put our passes near the covered check in machine and it 'clicked' so had registered us. I then realised it would be possible to claim amazingly fast Escapade circuits by just skiing up to the check in, clicking in and then going off to another lift. I wonder if some people have done this as I have heard claims of 4 hours to do it - can't imagine that is possible. My top speed is 104kph and last Easter we did over 70 km one day in 3V so we can move.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I then realised it would be possible to claim amazingly fast Escapade circuits by just skiing up to the check in, clicking in and then going off to another lift.

I know and thought the same, but what's the point in that? The only person you're cheating is yourself wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy