Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official unofficial 2012-2013 Thread....As requested );o)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

Off to Saalbach 26th Jan snowHead

Does anyone know exactly where the cattle road is above Hinterglem on the piste map?.......I skied it a good few years ago and was trying to find it on the map.

It was definitely on the Goabstall side of mountain think it may have been just off run 28? The road is also used by the piste bashers to service the runs if that helps.

Also does anyone know of best/cheapest hire shop in Saalbach area or any discount codes? (Staying in Saalbach but have car if needed)

Cheers

Scouse snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-12-12 20:56; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must say we used check in at bottom of schatberg xpress and they were very good.booked through alpinresorts.com (discount code "snowball" i think) Does it come out at the side of the goabstall?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For ski hire, go through topcashback and receive 8% cashback if you book with Skimium. Discount will apply depending on dates and location.
Also if you get a free Decathlon card, just email registration, you get another 5% off. 4 or more packs another 5% off.
Not sure about that run but will follow this thread and check it out in early Jan.
Tatmans tours on here highly recommends Hansi for ski hire, have a search for his details.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCOUSE, Do you mean the fairly level track that is marked "loipe" on the piste map, leading from the bottom of the Rosswald T-bar (and thus avoiding the need to take that T-bar when travelling from Hochalm back to the Reiterkogel) and ending at the Wieseralm? If not, I'm not sure what you're referring to (but may well know it if you can describe it further).

Regarding equipment hire, I would recommend you you to Hansi ('Hansis Best-Preis') whose shop is next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom end of the village street. If you decide to go to him, tell him I sent you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Tatman......The road is a series of about 15 or so light gradient stretches of roadway each with a hairpin bend at the end and is I think pretty much around your area......many thanks should be able to find it again

Thanks for the heads up on Hansi....I think i know exactly where it is opposite Hotel Central (stayed there last time out). What are his prices like as we normally per book with discount?

Many thanks

Carl
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SCOUSE, Were you happy with Hotel Central? I know its location but not much else usually stay higher up the main walkway.
The discount on ski hire is irrelevant, its what you end up paying in total. And sometimes a little extra is a small price to pay for service.

Here is a link to last seasons prices. However i am sure if you mention TT you will get his best price.
http://www.hansis-skiverleih.at/en/rentalprices.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ianbradders, looking at that link, Hansi charges extra for ski poles! €14/6 days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HutToHut, Never used them personally as i have my own gear, its just that TT is the oracle on Saalbach.
Alternatively just grab a pair from outside Bauers, there are loads there and every one is that drunk they wont even notice. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just found it surprising. Never seen them hired separately, maybe makes the ski hire prices look good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suppose it does offer more choice and if not required why pay the same but i have also never seen that.
I would have thought you could buy a set for as much as a weeks rental.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
central is ok. certainly nothing more but if you want a room basic breakfast will do. we dedcided to gor for diy this time. stayed in central last time with neilson.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

i am sure if you mention TT you will get his best price

That's the general idea! He's running his own business, rather than just an employee of one of the big chains, so able and willing to be flexible. He also has a bar in his shop which helps him keep his customers well-lubricated.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mattiwilkin, Good to hear, thats all we are after, clean and basic.
We have stayed in the Panther with wellness suite and outdoor pool but never used them (so bit of a waste of money).
Three 40 y/o,s. Me on a budget as i have an expensive family trip in March.
We only paid £320 with Neilson, flights, transfer and B&B. One of my mates will live on beer and pizza for the week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TT, i saw the bar on the shop website, Also noticed Paul Scharners shirt. Bit different from Wigan.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cleanish. but yes will be fine for a lads week away and that price pretty good i should say. We have managed to do 4 nights for £250 this year but for end of feb. Cant wait for the Hinterhag
ski holidays
Quote:

bit of a waste of money

Not what I've heard, Ian wink Toofy Grin

Quote:

Cant wait for the Hinterhag

You can say that again! 'Aaaaallo!
snow conditions
TT, Shocked and indeed, "Aaaaallllooooo".
snow report
aaaaaallo

Only got 3 nights of apres this trip . was thinking Hinterhag, Goabstall Hinterhag!! or should i explore more?
ski holidays
Quote:

Hinterhag, Goabstall Hinterhag

Sounds ideal, but suggest a pit stop at the Bergeralm for happy hour before you ski down to the Hinterhag - sets you up nicely!
snow report
Hi all........Central Hotel was no frills but was clean & cheap (c.£255 for week b&b last week in Jan inc flights & transfers with Neilson.....got cash back too rolling eyes ). Fairly decent location especially for Shattberg lift......Oh brekkie not too bad if not a bit repetitive.

A bit of noise from the Underbar but not too evasive (think my Après induced snoring was louder Embarassed)....But I can sleep on a chairlift.....Those lift operators can be quite rude waking you up rolling eyes.....ok it wasn't the first time Confused

Am staying a bit further out this time - Apartment Hayden (Alpine Apartments) c.10 mins walk....Anyone stayed there/know it?

Anyone know if blue run 68 to Viehhofen is worth a go?.....left it last time as we didn't know bus times (still don't know)....going last week in Jan so should have good cover.

Also price of taxi back to Saalbach from Goabstall? (About 12-15€?)

Happy hour at Berger Hochalm Twisted Evil .....I can still feel the bruises now from last time......but I kept going back NehNeh
ski holidays
SCOUSE, Cashback? With Neilson? which one was that through? I am all about the cashback Laughing
I only tend to have yoghurt for breakfast anyway.
Have you really fallen asleep on alift? Razz
Never had snow cover on 68 but previously only been in March in the sun.
Also never been to Berger Hochalm but will defo do this time as the novelty had worn off Hinterhagalm last visit.
snow report
SCOUSE, The run to Viehofen is definately worth doing. Few people find it and it doesn't get groomed to death, so it's a great dash through a wood, across some fields, into Hecherhutte for a snifter or an excellent goulash suppe, along a road, through a farmyard, across some more fields ... Some days you won't see another person for the entire 7 km.

The skibus back to the Schonleiten runs every 20 minutes - when you do the final steep bit, carry straight on behind all of the houses until you come the the little path by the supermarket. The bus stops in front of the shop.
ski holidays
7KM blue, sounds like a nice gentle run to try.
latest report
Quote:

The run to Viehofen is definately worth doing

+1 - this is one of our favourite runs. You can really get some speed up on the long piste leading down to the Hecherhuette (which is reckoned to do the best steaks and gulasch soup in the valley!) It should be okay until early to mid-March, maybe even later if we get an exceptional season like last one. As Quinton says, it's usually gloriously uncrowded and unspoilt (at least it was before we started going on about it!) and therefore confidence-building for cautious skiers. On one occasion last February, in fresh, untracked powder, my wife suddenly became positively turbo-charged, and it was all I could do to keep up with her.

ianbradders, The Bergeralm (or, as it's sometimes called the Bergerhochalm) is to the Hinterhag Alm what an aperitif is to the main meal (Bauers Schi-Alm being the pudding if you still have room). However going to the Hinterhag every evening is like having your favourite meal every night, so you have to refresh the palate by alternating it with the Goassstall.

SCOUSE, I think the taxi price is about right. We reckon on around 3-4 euros per person, although it may work out slightly dearer for only 2 passengers. However, well worth it for the Goassstall party, and the ride back takes only a few minutes.
snow conditions
I think we need an "official Saalbach Hinterglem 12/13 thread" I think its only right that TT start it off though??
latest report
mattiwilkin, Hmm...
snow conditions
I'll be out there for Christmas and New Year snowHead but not skiing though. Sad
However good the spa is in the hotel I'm going to struggle mightily with saying goodbye to my boys each morning. Still, better than being at home, and I will have some excellent lunches! Very Happy
ski holidays
RachelQ, Sorry to hear that; I guess you'll just have to console yourself with sunny (hopefully!) lunches at the Asteralm, high jinks at the Hinterhag Alm, the Goassstall and Bauers, and hob-nobbing with people like us in Bobby's...oh, and the riverside walk towards Hinterglemm is very nice when it's sunny.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mattiwilkin,
Quote:

I think we need an "official Saalbach Hinterglem 12/13 thread"

Maybe SCOUSE, could edit the thread title for this purpose. Tatman's Tours wouldn't feel obligated to update it religiously then.
latest report
HutToHut, ...and what else am I supposed to do while I'm counting the days till I can go skiing (next Sunday)? Oh, I know, Christmas cards!
snow conditions
You'd best start a new thread for it then. We'll be expecting daily updates, weather reports, snow reports, stories of epic nights apres, hangovers marked out of ten and tales of amusing guests Very Happy Seriously though interesting to hear reports from the Saalbach. I must go back some time as we had +10c and rain when we went years ago.
snow report
SCOUSE, Suggest that you add the final 'm' to Hinterglemm, in case our neighbours up the valley feel slighted!
snow conditions
Our own thread at last, will save us hi-jacking other peoples thread. Felt like this site was becoming Saalbachheads!
Cheers SCOUSE,
latest report
Last message never posted?

No problems all......happy to oblige Blush Hinterglemm also spelt correct now Embarassed

Ian.....Cashback was through Quidco a few years ago however I think they have stopped offering via site now

PS thanks all for heads up on the Viehofen run deffo worth a try......Need a few good blues as we have a beginner with us this year (apart from over 20 years ago when he used 2m straight planks).....trying to remember a few of the other good open blues for confidence building.......Runs 88-90 down to Leogang were pretty decent if I remember rightly and fairly quiet too?
latest report
Quote:

good open blues for confidence building

62, 63, 64, 46 and 19
87, 88 and 90 are also good but you have to negotiate reds 81/82/83 to get there and back (but they're not very difficult for anyone who's sufficiently advanced to at least get that far from base, provided you allow plenty of time to get back from Leogang).
snow report
I've just booked me and my brother a reasonably priced deal for a TO HB week at Hinterglemm from 22nd Dec, an area that I've not skied before but which he says is quite 'jolly'. Fingers crossed for decent snow. Cool

Is there a snow conditions thread on the forums for the resorts with some pix for perusing over the coming week ?
snow report
Moffatross.....Early season snow looks decent so far this season 45/70/90 with more on way

Good ski area of over 200k....ski area not as extreme as the likes of 3v but for all round ski/après/atmosphere it is hard to beat IMHO.....by far my fav resort snowHead

For up to date reports probably one best bet would be to follow posts made by Tatman's Tours who is apparently off to the slopes tonight (posts on here & Facebook).....do keep us updated when you are there as I have to wait till end of Jan till I am back there Sad .......enjoy mate
latest report
moffatross, Up to the minute webcams and weather forecast available at http://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/wetterschnee/wetter-aktuell.html

Last 3 days have been very cold, frosty and sunny, with excellent skiing on empty pistes. 60cm of new snow fell at the start of the week. Today (Sat 15th) the temperature has climbed to +2 in the valley and there has been rain all afternoon - which was falling as snow above 1500m. You can see from the forecast that the cold weather is due to return on Wednesday, just in time for the Christmas week. Cool
latest report
SCOUSE, quinton, much appreciated. Very Happy
snow conditions
Moffatross:- your welcome mate.....also Tatman's Tours has just sent me an itinerary......very good & comprehensive details of Saalbach including ski routes, après places ect....you will probably find quite a few on your visit but always good to have a few plans beforehand. All I did was sent him a PM with email, alternatively I could send copy he sent me. Also if you search the other forums there are other detailed ski circuits of Saalbach

Festive regards

Scouse

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 15-12-12 23:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy