Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Anton accom. Location, location, location

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all! Been a while.

This winter, it seems I'm going to St. Anton with a couple of friends. Will most probably fly to Zürich and transfer either by train or hired car.

My question is about location, location, location. Both my friends would rather pay a little bit more for accommodation near the piste+lift than save and ride the bus or walk. It seems that all the budget accom. is in St. Jakob or further, which seems too much of a hike. What about the other regions? Looking at the maps, it seems anything near Galzig should be fairly ok location-wise. Near Nasserein seems ok as well. I'm also looking at rooms at Sonnenwiese, which seems smack in the middle.

Any thoughts on regions to avoid or to die for? Apart from location, we are not fussy. WC+shower/bath in the room, breakfast. A sauna would be a big plus.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be better posting on "Resort Reviews and Trip Reports" and/or do some searching on there for threads about St Anton. Here is one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29593&highlight=nasserein
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I want to go to St Anton for New Year, but finding it hard to get reasonably priced accommodation i.e. <€50 per person per night, don't really fancy St Jakob as a pain getting back there, a long walk! Only problem is everyone under the sun is away at New Year. Thinking of going somewhere else now like Vorarlberg for same snow but less money.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross, St Jakob is fine, free ski bus. You're dreaming at less than 50€ btw.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiingDad, Nasserein covers a large area and can be a long walk to the lifts, I avoid it and stay in Galzig area or St Jakob.........suggest an email to Haus Angelika, right next to Galzigbahn, thats super central and it has a sauna and great breakfast. Staying there in early Feb 13, top place 67€pppn b&b in a shared double. I recommend the train, car is OK but train so easy and cheap, why wouldnt you? Hope this helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Galzig or Nasserein not in no man's land between IMV. If you can get something which opens out to the snow in Nasserein it isn't so bad although some palces represent a fair trek up the hill at the end of the day. Advantage of Nasserein is you can get a few fast laps in up Kappl before the masses arrive every morning then move on.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One time we struggled to find anywhere In St Anton and ended up staying "way out" in Pettneu.
It was not an inconvenience at all as they have 2 mini buses running backwards and forwards to the lifts all day. We did half board and the food was brilliant, and the wine.
When we over indulged in apres we just jumped into a cab which worked out more convenient than staying in the village with a hike to the accommodation.

Would actually do this again.

http://www.gridlon.com/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29, unfortunately Haus Angelika seems to be full during our stay (first full week in March). But thanks for the tip. Seems like a nice place. Galzig seems a good area with a fairly good selection of places to stay.

fatbob, care to elaborate a bit on the no man's land? There seems to be a couple of decent chairs nearby, such as Gampen and Fang.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiingDad, Try Haus Roman Falch (via www.arlberg.com), 50m fron skislopes at start/ end of the day, and right next to Galzigbahn also, has sauna too and back gate opens onto new Rendlbahn, perfect place to stay and very clean/ tidy. Re the no-mans land, I assume Fatbob means that its a fair walk to either Nasserienbahn or Galzigbahn (5-10 mins), yes Gampen is a good chair but its right next to GB, to get real height you need to be near NB or GB, which are about 1/2 mile apart. No an issue at the end of the day, just the start IMO, I agree with him.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was about to suggest looking at the Hotel Tannenhof which is the last hotel up the hill in Nasserein (and therefore the first ski bus stop)
But then I checked their website. Crikey ShockedShockedShocked
We stayed there over Christmas many years ago - it was a nice middle of the range family run hotel. Now it seems they knocked that down last year and built a whole new boutique hotel with only suites - can't find any pricing - I suspect if you have to ask you can't afford it. When I win the lottery we'll go back...

http://hoteltannenhof.net/winter/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No man's land? I guess the area around the church is a bit of a walk to either lift station (Rendl/Galzig/Gampen or Nasserein), and annoyingly it's just as far to the bus stops too. It's not that bad, in fact I tend to stay there (Rendlhof for a nice 3* hotel, Haus Gamberg for a nice B&B), and I'm staying in that area later this week (Skiers Lodge). It's a flat 10-15 minute walk in ski boots to the lift.

If you leave your skis and boots in a locker at the base (e.g. at Jennewein) then it's not a big deal at all (in fact the walk in normal shoes is a nice stroll and a change to get the legs moving), just factor in the cost of the locker as part of your accommodation costs (that's how I justify it:) ). If you are renting gear you should get storage forfree, and some hotels may have deals too - it's certainly worth asking.

Never stayed in St Jakob, but I think the bus service is good. There are night buses too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What sah said, store your equipment at Galzig or Nasserein and thereby widen your accommodation search area...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sonnenwiese is perfect IMO. We stayed there in Feb with Crystal. It's 5 mins walk down into the town, but very quiet if you want to be off the noisy main street and a short ski to the Nasserein lift. You can ski back to it as well if you want to.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh... Overwhelmed with responses! This is much appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

To be honest, I was asking more asking about the areas in general, rather than specific hotels, but suggestions are indeed very welcome. Happy I suppose a lot of SnowHeads are bound to have experience from St. Anton. From the maps, I could figure out that anything around Galzig should be very convenient. Sonnenwiese just seems to be among the closest to real ski in/ski out, which one of us is heavily rooting for. I don't mind a short walk, but then I suppose his snowboard shoes are much less comfortable to walk in than my ski boots... Toofy Grin

The Roman Falch actually seems very good for us and not expensive at all. Inquiry sent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
Peter Ross, St Jakob is fine, free ski bus. You're dreaming at less than 50€ btw.

I stayed up the hill in Nasserrein last New Year, 7 nights, could ski down to the lifts, €40 a night! Bit of a pain this year getting anything in Western Austria, wish I'd book flights to Italy now! I'd rather spend my money on more ski days than accommodation.
snow conditions
Peter Ross, I think you were very lucky to find something that cheap last year for New Year rather than unlucky not to find something this price this year.

SkiingDad, definitely worth thinking about leaving your kit in one of the ski shops, many places now include this as part of the deal. And do keep in mind the ski bus as it can open up a bigger choice.

One of my faves is

http://www.altes-thoenihaus.at/
latest report
nozawaonsen, Yes that's true I was lucky. I think I'll bring my tent this year.
snow conditions
The bottom of Alte Arlbergstrasse has a lot of B&Bs and is as close to ski in/ski out as you can get in St Anton, right next to Galzig and Rendlbahn....and everything else.
snow conditions
Hahaha...DidierCouch....best username I've seen here for awhile Laughing Laughing Laughing

Welcome to sH BTW.
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
Hahaha...DidierCouch....best username I've seen here for awhile Laughing Laughing Laughing

Welcome to sH BTW.

Thanks Chasseur!

*Cue DCouch attempting to do cool ski flicky thing and falling over in a heap cursing*
snow report
Must be a soft landing, though.....one of these you? wink

snow report
SkiingDad wrote:
Sonnenwiese just seems to be among the closest to real ski in/ski out, which one of us is heavily rooting for. I don't mind a short walk, but then I suppose his snowboard shoes are much less comfortable to walk in than my ski boots... Toofy Grin

There isn't a ton of ski-in-ski-out accommodation in St Anton. It exists for sure, but if you really must have that you are narrowing your options a lot. Some ski in/out will be up the hill and less convenient for the town in the evening, might not be a big deal but something to consider.

I would have thought snowboard boots a lot more comfortable than ski boots??
latest report
sah,

Quote:

I would have thought snowboard boots a lot more comfortable than ski boots??

So would I, but I'm neither the snowboarder nor the one going on about skin in/ski out. Very Happy

But anyway... That's not really the requirement, close to lifts will do. But I think all three of us are agreed that we don't want to catch a bus in the morning, in any case.

Personally, I definitely don't mind using a ski depot, as I have done so in the past. It makes for a care-free apres and frees your hand to carry that beer that you so desire just before the shower but are too bloody tired to go get if you've carried your skis back to the hotel.
latest report
Roman Falch was full, but there is obviously a lot more fish in the sea.

I think I know a whole lot more about the area now. There's only so much info you can get from looking at the maps. The are around Galzig seems indeed full of options, esp. Alte Arlbergstrasse and neighbours, so that's probably where we're headed. That or Sonnenwiese.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy