Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Oisans' resorts linked to L'Alpe d'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me what they think of the following linked resorts to the Alpe d'Huez ski area, accommodation options (weekend)? Transfer times from Chambery and Grenoble (car), links into the main area?

Additionally does anyone know if the slopes are South facing and if they suffer late in the season or even if the southerly aspect has any impact on late season conditions.

Many Thanks

Auris
Oz
Vaujany
Villard Reculas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NorthWestFace, I've stayed in Vaujany a few times, very quiet resort, a few bars one of which is (was) a Belgian Bar, great access into ADH ski area via a huge gondola. IMO a much nicer place to stay than ADH which is IMO Basildon with snow. Not a problem with late skiing because you get direct access to ADH pistes at high level and ADH has enough height to be snow sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would discount Auris straightaway. It's the furthest from the airport and, although it has some quite nice skiing in its own right, it is a bit cut off from the rest of the area and it degrades first.

I'd probably aim for Oz or Vaujany if I were you. A bit over an hour from Grenoble airport (if you drive quite fast). Couple of hours from Chambery? Less transfer time than ADH itself. Both have good fast lifts into the main area. You're more likely to be able to ski all the way back to Oz late in the season but getting the lift back down to either isn't too much of a chore. In fact you have to take a lift to get back to Vaujany even if it's just the little bucket lift up from the very bottom of the resort to the main lift station.

I think you'll find more options for accommodation in Vaujany. Check out www.vaujany.com . Another option would be to stay in Allemont right at the bottom of the valley. There's a nice hotel called Hotel Ginies there - v friendly and good food. You can drive up to Vaujany or Oz in about 15mins and you can usually park your car within about 50 yards of the lift station door. The nice thing about Allemont is that late in the season it'll be very spring-like - warm and green so it'll be a bit like descending into a different season at the end of the day.]

I went there at the very end of April last year. You could ski all the way back to Oz certainly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Norhtwestface - can only speak for Oz Station (Oz 1350) - although the others are obviously pretty close - altjough I`m pretty sure that, with the exception of Vaujany, none of the others link directly into the main ski area. I may be wrong about that. Vaujany is linked by a huge cable car to the main pistes but I seem to recall you can`t ski back down to Vaujany.

Closest airport: Grenoble: 1 - 1.5 hours away. Grenoble is a great airport i.e. you can get through it in 15 mins.

Easyjet & Ryanair fly there.

Easy route - good road to Oz.

Don`t know what the situation as regards Chambery.

Access from Oz to main ADH ski area is better than from ADH itself. Two fast gondolas rise from Oz - one goes to the main ski area just above ADH; the other heads to L`Alpette (way above Vaujany).

Can ski back down into Oz via a number of slopes. They were building a new one when we out in August.

Weekend accommod in Oz is limited. There is only one hotel - Hors Piste - but it`s very nice. It`s Dutch run, very clean and friendly. I suspect it will be busy after Xmas. Nick Dawes who posts quite frequently will know more about this.

I have only skied in the area early season. Altho ADH is known for its sunshine and south facing runs (potentially problematic late in season) I think the runs above Oz & Vaujany are north or north west facing.

See if you can get hold of Sarah@alpedhuez - its her stamping ground - she will know all the answers to your questions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NorthWestFace, another thing to think about is how good a skier you are. if you are confident on reds, you could stay anywhere. if you aren't vaujany may not be a great idea because it would become a bit of a chore getting back from the area around ADH

not sure what beetle means about none linking directly to the "main ski" area. if (s)he's talking about the bowl surrounding ADH itself, (s)he's right, but that's not much of a disadvantage unless you want to ski green runs all day. in good conditions the area around Auris is much preferable (remember - conditions can be a bit of an issue here tho). the Alpette/Montfrais area above Vaujany/Oz is also a much nicer area to ski.

villard reculas connects by a chairlift to the top of Signal directly above town. the area above VR is actually very nice in good conditions. again, it gets hit quite quickly by warm weather. OTOH i have had some lovely days in powder just doing laps there
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are just going for a weekend I'm not sure why you wouldn't just head straight for ADH? By car it is easy from Grenoble or Chambery and you would have a far wider choice of flexible accommodation. From ADH you can easily access all of the different ski areas you have mentioned giving you much more choice than being out on a limb in one of them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the feedback, one of the reasons we are going is to consider buying a property in one of these satelite resorts - for investment more than to use ourselves. Anyone any experience of this?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NorthWestFace, you can PM if you like for more info on the area here. Villard is one of my favs and for investment sees a little more action in the summer too.

David@traxvax, BASILDON??????? Not sure I'd agree with you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NorthWestFace, Agree with all the positives mentioned regarding Oz, Vaujany and Villard (but I would as I'm buying a place in Oz!). I'd forget Auris, Its the least convenient to get to (a little way the wrong side of Bourg) and although there are some wonderful and often quiet runs there its altitude and beautiful sunny aspect mean conditions can get very slushy at any time of year in my experience.

I think you will struggle to find weekend accomodation in Vaujany and indeed property rarely becomes available for sale there. Agree with Katski that it may be easiest to get accomodation in ADH itself for a weekend trip during the winter season, disagree that you can access the areas more easily from there however, Oz & Vaujany certainly have more direct uplift with minimal queueing.

Don't know about rental yields and these satellite areas are less well known than ADH itself but definitely on the up!. You could try and speak to Corinne at http://www.immo-oisans.com/ an estate agent in Bourg who have been incredibly helpful to us and who also have some rental properties on their books.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NorthWestFace,

I liked Oz when we went there last year. Relatively easy to get to by car, and two good gondolas to get you up the mountain, and as beetle, mentioned one drops you direct into the top of ADH. The gondolas out of Oz were relatively quiet and we were there over English schools February bank holiday. However you have to be carefull getting back - we had a problem one day when we left it a bit late (we got lost in poor viz and it took us a while to work out which piste connected back to a lift that would get us high enough to ski back to Oz). The main godola had broken and they were turning people away from the only drag that went high enough. Fortunately they were running it for anyone who needed to get to Oz or Vaujany. So although the lifts from Oz are nice and quiet the lifts out of ADH to get back to Oz can be busy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah@alpedhuez, yes, AdH was originally built as the Olympic village for the Grenoble '68 Olympics, consequently masses of apartment blocks built with all the charm that architects of the '60s could manage as quickly and cheaply as possible. Aside from Les Manures I'm hard pressed to think of any Alpine resort that looks less comfortable in its location.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick Dawes,

You say Auris can get poor conditions due to altitude - looking on the piste map the resort sits at 1600m while Oz is 1350, Vaujany 1250 and Villard 1500 is this all down to direction of the slopes? Also are the links from Auris into the main ski area a bit poor?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, You are very wrong David- ADH has been around for much longer than that with the first lifts in 1936, in fact there have been settlers here since 500AD!!, and Huez has been well established since the 18th Centuary. The resort was ADDED to for the Olympics in the 60's but to the contrary, the little Chalet deltas which were built for the teams are very pretty and much sought after, changing hands for about 400,000 euros which for 80m2 isn't bad.

I fully admit that there are areas of the resort which are not terrifically pleasing to the eye but these over the past couple of years have all been redone and furnished in wood with pitched roofs to disguise (rather well) the sqaureness of them - the 'masses' that you refer to are probably no more than 8, each no higher than 4/5 etages. There were plenty more built in the 80's but of course David this is not the same architecture as the 60's - perhaps you had the 2 eras muddled.

As I'm sure you have realised from my address Alpe d'Huez is my home - not one for 6 months of the year I hasten to add. I find your coments directed to me about where I live fairly insulting and whilst I appreciate everyones 'right to speak' I feel that there are other more intellegent means of putting your opinion across. As the remark was made out to me I can only assume that for some reason you have an axe to grind which is a pity as up until now I had held you in high regard of Alpine knowledge...I suggest you tear yourself away from La Ros and see what ADH is about - as I'm fairly sure this is not a pleasurable option I suggest having a look at my website and see that there is a good percentage of good looking property.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One other thing here - i am assming ADH is a better option to LDA, can anyone tell me if his a reasonable assumption and if LDA has some fantastic satelite village resorts that beat those mentioned hands down???

ALSO HOW MUCH OF A PROBLEM ARE THE SOUTH FACING SLOPES OF ADH AS MENTIONED ABOVE?????????

THANKS
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah@alpedhuez,

I come from Basildon originally and can't understand why you should take such offence when your home is compared to my birthplace and spritual home!

ho ho ho
latest report
Depends what time of the year you are looking at coming and if you are a beginner group. If its April and all first-timers then yes it could and probably would be a problem. We have plenty of runs on the glacier and about 2500m which hold out very nicely and for those who like Spring snow its paradise!

please note you can ski down to Vaujany ski area (not village which happens only very rarely and by a black) until the end of the season. I had a great last day over there this past season as about 10am the conditions are fabulous.

The thing to remember, by the nature of coming at the end of the season you wil be here to appreciate all the other facilities the resort has to offer and it is unreasonable that you can ski from 9 - 5 for 7 days anywhere in April in the Alpes - though it can be done 99 I think was a crazy April.

If you're coming in the season please don't worry about the snow conditions here.

As an aside if you do have beginners and it is the end of the season go for LDA - the glacier is bigger and better for beginner skiers than ours which will give you more scope. I think Charlotte would agree with me.
snow report
NorthWestFace, There's a principle thing going on:

A) The resort is not Les Meniuers, its not Switzerland but not ugly
B) It was NOT built FOR the Olympics
and C) I wouldn't dream of making a statement such as "Aside from Les Manures I'm hard pressed to think of any Alpine resort that looks less comfortable in its location" to someone who I knew lived there.

A question of tact and 'politesse' - call me old fashioned. wink
snow conditions
sarah@alpedhuez,

just coming on a property recyy really, been skiing for about 10 years and doing about 25 days a season. Usually ski the Grand Massif (have small chalet) but am considering selling and trying to get something nearer a glacier and more for my money. After looking on the web Oisians look good value and with the flights to Grenoble starting I think it could be a good move - More going on in Summer would also be good!

Thanks
ski holidays
Property in ADH has rocketed in price in the past 18 months - now around 4000/5000euros Per m2 in resort. Both Villard and Oz are better price wise though obviously less interesting on the letting front. Easy Jet flew into Grenoble last year and now this year Ryan Air will be too. I know of chalets for sale here but the prices are from 1.25 million euros (nice though!! on the slopes, 6 bedrooms, sauna, jacuzzi etc etc...)

I have noticed plots of land for sale in Villard though.

If you do get over this way give me a shout!!

I know of several apartments from about 30M2 to 150M2 if that appeals?
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez, if you're happy in Adh that's fine, it's not where I would choose to live but each to his or her own. I still think it looks like Basildon with snow but I suppose I could have said Pitsea.
latest report
I will let you know when I get it booked. 4000 / 5000 is lots but if I do buy I probably won't rent out - use myself and extended family who cover costs. Also probably prefer smaller place than ADH.

Found 'new build' quoted from 2750m2 in Oz but that looks like Leaseback which wouldn't really suit me. Chalet Des Neiges, have at their places in ValT and Arcs200 and they seemed okay.
snow report
I thought the old part of Alpey D was lovely, little windy roads & alleyways. There are parts that are a bit of an eyesore - Bergers? - but not half so bad as, for example, parts of La Plagne. I think of ADH with fondness. You can tell it's a proper town/village that has grown, rather than being purpose built blocks of apartments. You're very lucky to live there sarah@alpedhuez.
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, aren't Chalet des Neiges leaseback as well?

There will be a new MGM building at Arc 1800 which I think they will start selling shortly; it won't be leasebackand I guess will be in a similar price range to Chalet des Neige, but it's in a good location and is close enough to Tignes to take advantage of the summer/autumn skiing if you don't mind a bit of a drive at the start and end of the day.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,

Yes they are - I said won't really suit, but if the price / m2 is anything to go by then looks interesting. I will check out the MGM site - cheers.
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
I will check out the MGM site - cheers.

It won't be on the MGM site yet (I think they are still finalising plans and permits, for construction starting next summer). It will be the the final building in the development that I have a small apartment in, and will be ski in/out, swimming pool, underground garage, nicely finished, etc and available for outright purchase. Check the link in my signature for details of the development (Alpage du Chantel). Unfortunately I have no idea what the price will be.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,

This looks of interest, it's leaseback but simply on price comparisons m/2

http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/uk/vente.htm

Oz Oisans is 2736 m2 while arcs1600 is 5180 m2
latest report
NorthWestFace wrote:
arcs1600

Do you mean Arc 2000, or is this a new development? I wasn't sure that Chalet des Neige had a development in Arc 1600.

For comparision we paid approx 3,300 per sq metre for our place (outright purchase not leaseback, and we took possesion last Christmas).
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk,

dunno? says 1600, plans available soon on the web site? probably will be 2000 given the price in comparison to what you paid.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NorthWestFace, perhaps I've not heard of Chalet des Neige's plans in 1600. The only large new development I've heard of in that 'village' ( Wink ) is this one.
snow report
NorthWestFace,

Chalets des Neige in Oz had sold out by August 2005. They anticipated that some apartments might come back onto the market if/when would-be purchasers were unable to obtain mortgages.

Although most CdN apartments are being sold on a leaseback basis- not all of them are. We (briefly) looked at both a 2 bed and 3 bed with a a view to an outright purchase. When I last checked - both had been sold.

I seem to recall that they have or are planning a dvelopment in Les Coches. Malpen Investments and Assetz International will have more info.
snow report
NorthWestFace,

Chalets des Neige in Oz had sold out by August 2005. They anticipated that some apartments might come back onto the market if/when would-be purchasers were unable to obtain mortgages.

Although most CdN apartments are being sold on a leaseback basis- not all of them are. We (briefly) looked at both a 2 bed and 3 bed with a a view to an outright purchase. When I last checked - both had been sold.

I seem to recall that they have or are planning a dvelopment in Les Coches. Malpen Investments and Assetz International will have more info.
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, I think so too Cathy!! Bergers IS an eyesore (but an 80's one!!) We live in the old part of the resort and wouldn't swap my view with anyone in the Alpes (Tahiti and my arm might be twisted!!) but we are so high and open here you truely feel like you're on top of the world.

Quite nice too that there are only about a dozen Brits that live here full time!

Anyway thanks for the support Cathy xxxxx
snow conditions
NorthWestFace, Would you not consider Allemont? As you are not looking for a return - just below OZ and Vaujany on a lake. Property tends to be MUCH cheaper here and there are still some very reasonable chalets around (10 mins in the car to Vaujany) and lovely in the summer.
ski holidays
sarah@alpedhuez,

Yes I have this on my list of places - would always have a car anyway and it looks like it's on the Ski Bus route if we did go for the coach transfer.
latest report
Def worthwhile looking in to then!

I'll keep my ear open - did you have an idea of chat you're looking for or your budget. PM me if you prefer!
snow report
Depends on the valuation I get, being done next week by a couple of agents but probably only around 150k (euros).
ski holidays
You could get something very nice in Allemont for that.
I spent a season in an apartment which was on the market for EUR 19,000!
Allemont also has its very own tiger which not many French mountain villages can claim.
ski holidays
Been to ADH a few times and don't consider it an eyesore at all. Anyone been to Flaine? It's not picture postcard like some Austrian or Swiss resorts but to call it Basildon on snow is way off the Mark. That would be Pas de la Casa.
ski holidays
Philip Prior, Gor - love you too!!
ski holidays
Flaine getting a bad press again - it's a great place, best snow record in the alps for it's altitude, north facing runs, 1hr from Geneva. plenty of pretty villages near by. The view of Mt Blanc from the top station has got to be one of the best in the Alps and make up for the strange taste in architecture.

If it was financilly viable they would level the lot and start again. I read on another forum that they might be cladding it all in wood! Still not sure how that would look!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy