Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain skis for the mrs

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all. I am looking for some advice on skis for Mrs C. She currently has an old pair of Rossi's that were great for learning on but are now too short, too soft and too piste orientated. I'm the research monkey in this equation so trying to come up with some good suggestions, hopefully then she can demo some.

Vital stats, she is 60kg at a push, 5'3", solid intermediate skier, looking for a fun pair of skis that will predominantly be used on piste but can venture off to the trees and deeper stuff. I'm guessing 80mm+ waist, around 160cm long but I could be totally out. The little advice we have had from the ski shop at the local feezer are suggestion both longer and wider skis which I would have thought would detract from the fun on piste requirement.....

So, what should we be looking at? As an FYI, I have some atomic blackeye ti's that get used for everything unless it is proper deep then I'll be on my snowboard.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl Kenja, Blizzard Black pearls?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stockli Rotors?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blizzard black pearls are a great ski a lot of the ladies on theskidiva forum rave about them. I've tried the mens version (bushwacker) and I like a lot, gotta chat up Santa now.
The volkl kenja is a great ski but your wife might find it over stiff coming off the rossi. I know she wants stiffer but that could possibly be described as challenging in comparison.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
K2 Lotta Luv seem to be pretty popular with Mrs M. Just about wide enough, and no loss of performance on piste that I can see from skiing behind Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ac505, a friend has just purchased some Salomon Rockettes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dynastar Exclusive Eden? I've not tried them, but they sound ideal - I would like to try a pair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ac505, when are you looking to get these? If you can wait until mid January I will be able to give you a report on some Rossi Attraxion 6s that I bought with almost exactly the same criteria. (I went for the 152cm length, though.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What length are her current skis? I'm 5ft2" and ski on 152cm skis which I find fine. I've tried longer skis in the past but preferred the shorter length.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
she is presently skiing 150cm skis, just seem a little short..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Line Celebrity??
Just bought some of last years for the daughter's Xmas, I've skied the Prophets (the mens version of the celebrity) and it rocked!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have Line Celebrity skis, a few years old now. 165cms. They're not fantastic on hard pack, that's for sure, and I would have thought quite a different animal from the Rossi Attraxions (I have those, too). They're far wider.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am the same height but 51kg and ski the 150 Fischer Koa 78. I have been in boot top powder on these and they still rock as well as work the piste well. 160cm would probabaly be fine with you ladies, er hem, weight as they have a freindly flex - not soft, but just seem to flex when and where they need to. I adore mine. But its the usual advice I am afraid - test them, even in a fridge you get the "feel" and I leanrned from my first ski buy that was a mistake.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ac505, another vote for Dynastar Edens. I tried a pair last week, in variable conditions, and they performed as well as my crap skiing allowed. Didn't have the opportunity to test carved turns on a well-groomed piste, but I would doubt much loss of performance. My dimensions are fairly similar to your OH's and I tried the 158s, which were fine. (My current skis are Dynastar Exclusive Legends, at 152, but they are not rockered.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Icelantic Oracles.
Womans spacific lightweight core.
100mm at the waiste
http://www.icelanticskis.co.uk/sale/
Just bought my Mrs some 175's for xmas she's 5'8" with an early rise tip should ski similar to her old Salomon 165's.
Just got to find some bindings now.
ski holidays
My OH runs 156cm Volkl Auras and has some new 168 WD Directors with F10's, she'll be ripping this season with the greater flotation I reckon, Auras great but maybe a tad short but she still likes them and she now too has a quiver! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Armada TSTw in 156 or 165, if they are half as good as the TST 183s I have Mrs ac505 won't be dissapointed!
ski holidays
thanks all, interesting that the general concensus is on a ski that has quite a large waist, certainly more than my "skinny" Atomic Blackeye Ti's! Hopefully we can get to a fridge over the next few weeks to try some out.
ski holidays
ac505, I ski a 78mm waisted ski that claims a 80:20 on:off piste bias - Elan Magfire 78 Ti. It's dimensions are 168 cm, r = 15.4 m, Sidecut: 123-78-105. It also came as small as 152cm. I don't got off of the piste much, but when I've done so it has been adequate for what I've needed. I don't know if I could ski something much wider - as well as trying the above wider skis perhaps don't discount trying something narrower, as mine are.
snow report
Certainly the TST didn't feel anything like as wide as their 102mm when I tried them at Tamworth and Castleford
snow conditions
just getting back to this. THe old skis are only 146cm, no wonder they seemed small..... The old Saphir 300's are very much frontside, only a 70mm waist and pretty flexy. The general consensus is not to stray too far away so thinking more frontside all mountain, no greater than 85mm, prob nearer 80mm, around 150-154cm. So based on this spec, anything else to add to the mix?
ski holidays
My Missus has a pair of zag lady gold skis which are all mountain. Waist is about 82mm I think - they're in being waxed at the mo, so I'm not able to measure them. They carve beautifully too.
snow report
ac505, at the end of the day def. let her demo what she fancies and make sure the final choice is hers alone otherwise you'll never live it down!
snow conditions
Quote:

My Missus has a pair of zag lady gold skis which are all mountain. Waist is about 82mm I think - they're in being waxed at the mo, so I'm not able to measure them. They carve beautifully too.

+ 1

Bought my wife a pair last season , fantastic skis , she skis so well on them that I fancy her even more than I did before !! wink wink

Recommended by the guide I use who got them for his wife , they came in three different sizes .
snow conditions
ac505, Daughter similar and just got some Line Sir Francis Shorty skis. Having tried them they seem to meet all her needs off and on piste. They are "kids" skis but them being small and light - like your wife - they seem to be a good option. http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/LINE_SIR_FRANCIS_BACON_SHORTY_Kids_All_Mountain_Skis_145cm_2012-%2848965%29
ski holidays
I lost count of the number of skis Mrs A tried just before Christmas and she eventually settled on Volkl Kenja. She was looking for something that would perform better off piste, but not compromise performance on piste too much, as that is where she spends most of her time. I was very surprised with the choice given they are 87mm underfoot, but she loves them and says they performed on piste as well as others with a narrower waist. Oh, and she says "the colours are bonny"!

Bob
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy