Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes v La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide between the above, I've been to Val D'Isere, Morzine, Chourcheval and Alpe D'Huez in the past so know what to expect from a french resort. La Plagne would win on Km's of piste but I've read on other sites that it is very spread out and disjointed and can be fairly quite at night, not to say that I'm looking for an Ibiza in the snow. Anyway we're a group of 4 intermediate skiers with 12 years of 1 week per year skiing and would be interested in getting some snowheads views on the above.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been too all the resorts you've mentioned and the only one I wouldn't go back to is LDA. Having said that the night life is better than in La Plagne. But LP would win every time IMO.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not been to La Plagne, but have skied it staying in Les Arcs, also been to L2A (same year as going to Les Arcs). For the skiing I'd choose La Plagne and get the lift pass so you can ski both LP and LA, there's we found it a lot more interesting and varied than L2A (although if you are wanting to go off piste this may change things - I don't ski off piste so can't say for certain!).

If you want the better night life though L2A is livelier.

We enjoyed both trips though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did la Plagne as my first two boarding trips - loved it for obvious reasons but looking back on it, it's a resort I'd love to go back to now I'm a better standard. Really good links around the whole area and there's a really good selection of runs. We stayed in Belle Plagne the first time - not amazing nightlife but we made our own fun - and in Plagne Soleil the second trip it was much of the same; a few beers out in Plagne Centre but lots of fun at the chalet. Never went over to Les Acs so can't comment on that front, but Champagny over the back of La Plagne is a dream when there's powder and is very quit so great for just larking around. Didn't spent much tim,e down at the lower villages but when we did board down there, the tree cover made things nice and intimate.

Went to L2A last January as a late-deal - big resort, lots of terrain and loads of places to drink and eat. They claim 250kms but it feel smaller for some reason. Like La Plagne there are some flat areas but not loads. We suffered the wrath of the lift company - a gust of wind and they shut the main bubbles up the mountain. There are also some vicious black runs back down into town that can really sap the strength, especially when they're icy and scraped at the end of the day. You always feel high though wherever you are and there's loads of off-piste. On your lift pass there's the option to visit ADH and serre chevalier - apparently, the helicopter to ADH is well worth it.

Out of the two, I'd go to La Plagne because L2A just feels like you use a lot of runs a lot of the time, over and over.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There are also some vicious black runs back down into town that can really sap the strength

vicious perhaps, but also completely avoidable.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glengooly-Guy, been to L2A and wouldnt go back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is almost nothing to choose between L2A and LP.

Better nitelife and prettier town in L2A just edges it, overall.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There are also some vicious black runs back down into town that can really sap the strength

Only avoidable by getting lift down or using a tortuous winding green run.

I've been to both. L2A is one resort I wouldn't go back to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, ....... or the new blue run constructed over last summer.

Anyway, what's everyone's big problem with dowloading? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

what's everyone's big problem with dowloading?

to hear some people, you'd think nobody would ever go to Courmayeur, or Mayrhofen, or Cortina, or St Gervais, or ............
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, is the blue run home complete? Easiski said that they were prepping it in the summer. Not shown on this year's piste map, afaik.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is the age old 'drowning or burn-to-death' debate - which is less awful.

The thing about La Plagne is that for all it's breathtaking ghastliness you have got the ability to naff off out of it and ski its pleasant satellites and - even better - cross the valley the to lovely wooded slopes of Les Arcs.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 10-12-12 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I first went to La Plagne in 97 where I first donned a pair of skis - thought it was an excellent resort then, but virtually all of our nightlife was in the chalet. Went back last year as a pretty competent skiier now and was disappointed to say the least.

Far too many easy blue runs. Not enough trees, apart from the icy runs down to L2A. Not enough reds. Dull nightlife. Found one reasonable pub (Scotts) which was ok most of the time, but used to get ridiculously busy and then it was shite. The ice cavern bar inside the shopping centre part of Plagne central was ok, but lacked atmosphere.

My missus loved the place - she's quite happy just carving along well groomed pistes at 30mph, so all those blues were perfect for her.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, it's complete. I'd be very surprised if it isn't on the piste map, though this year's map may not be available online.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
dobby, it's complete. I'd be very surprised if it isn't on the piste map, though this year's map may not be available online.

There is a 'new' run home shown on the online piste map but it's marked as a red run - Vallon 4. Looks very convenient for our holiday at Les Melezes snowHead
snow report
yeah, that La Plagne place, flat and ugly, no off piste, no good for skiing no good for boarders, so no theres no reason it's the most visited ski resort in the Alps.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, are you channelling my thoughts about La Plagne? Not my favourite for those reasons. And icy was missing.
snow report
snowlamb, let us know what it's like when you've done it.
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Only avoidable by getting lift down or using a tortuous winding green run.

I've been to both. L2A is one resort I wouldn't go back to.

There's the Vallons red run I suppose, but that really only serves you if you're on that side of the mountain as you return - if you're anywhere in the 'Cretes' sector then it's black or green, or catch a bubble down. To be fair, I used the green a lot because me and the missus were liking the easy nature but we always had to cut onto valentin (a black) to make our way over to the Venosc side of town where our base was. On a board, that green run is a toe-murderer, if you don't get taken out by a ski school Wink

Wonder where this new blue run is - can't see it on the map o the website Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Anyway, what's everyone's big problem with dowloading?

All my friends LOVED downloading at L2A after happy hour at the techno bar Very Happy
latest report
The Blacks down into L2A are really nice runs. My favourites are what were L'Y and Diable (now renamed) which are far quieter than Valentin.
latest report
Any reason why you're restricting yourself to just those 2? I wouldn't personally rush back to la P although les arcs was better - but there's a lot of resorts you haven't been too - not to mention countries - Austria, italy, Switzerland - if you fancied a change!
snow conditions
lib-banana wrote:
Any reason why you're restricting yourself to just those 2? I wouldn't personally rush back to la P although les arcs was better - but there's a lot of resorts you haven't been too - not to mention countries - Austria, italy, Switzerland - if you fancied a change!

I've been to all those countries you mention and more, (Kitzbuhel, Saalback, St Anton, Sauze D'Oulx, Cervinia, Zermatt, Val D'Isere, Alpe D'Huez, Courcheval, Soldeau), would like to try switzerland again but dosh won't allow these days, Davos, Verbier, Kloisters (to join the royals).
ski holidays
Specialman, I don't think there is a blue back home. The red vallons run is a new one this season according to the piste map. Easiski looked at the new he run during the summer and said it looked like a tough blue so maybe they have graded it red instead of blue.
ski holidays
Sorry not connected to the subject, but you made me look at the piste map and I wonder:

What happened to the chair and red run on the very bottom right corner of the piste map (down form Pied Moutet)? - Les Deux Alpes
I am pretty sure it was there 6 or 7 years ago (when I was there). Did they removed this chair?

http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/upload/images/all/DBMBYEJJ.jpg

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 11-12-12 9:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Tom W, different side of the mountain I think. The problem is getting down from the cretes/vallons side.
snow conditions
If you like Blackpool for a night out go to L2A. I think the better ski ing is in LP
snow report
dobby, Thanks. I did not made myself clear enough. I edited my post now. I just noticed this chair disappeared so I thought I would ask why.
Question not really connected to the main subject or runs to the resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The run to Bons is no longer open
snow conditions
Claude B, Thanks.
Can't remember now if the run was any good.
But seems strange to close it completely, specially for LDA where the claimed 225km appears so exaggerated.
ski holidays
Tom W, I've never skied it, I think it closed about 5 years ago. Creaky old chair needing investment perhaps. The run to Mont de Lans is still there.
snow report
Quote:

The run to Mont de Lans is still there.

Now THAT is a scary leg-smasher chair lift
snow report
kat.ryb, Ha ha, last summer we walked down and back up, on footpaths not the road. My daughter was disgusted to see, having hiked back, that the lift was running and free (I knew but hadn't told her Toofy Grin )
snow report
La Plagne has more piste on offer but it's not really a resort, more like about ten all joined up. L2A gives you teh option of going over to La Grave if you fancy something exciting. La Plagne is big but rather cliched motorway skiing. I've never done Les Arcs but there is, of course, always the link over. It's along treck though unless you're over teh Bellecote end of the mountain. La Pagne is a very family orientated resort. Not really much nightlife
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy