Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help Me Choose A Resort

Poster: A snowHead
As many of you know we got married back in September, but due to my dads Cancer illness we couldnt go away anywhere. We are looking at doing a short break Wednesday - Sunday in January. Easyjet flights from Liverpool to Geneva are coming out at £170 for the 2 of us, so probably want to head not to far from Geneva to maximise ski time, if possible even ski the Wednesday afternoon and Sunday Morning.

So, where would you go to for the following criteria

*Maximum 2 Hours from Geneva
*Preferably not the PDS, done it 4 times
*Large ski resort
*Must be non skier friendly (OH doesnt ski, so easy to meet for lunch a must)
*Preferably a luxury apartment so OH can chill out for the few days
*Possibility of meeting up with some Snowheads as i will be on my own

Open to suggestions guys. Never been to Austria/Switzerland so i would even go there and fly to another airport if it came out cheap enough.

Thanks for your help!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, I've never been to Ski Amade myself, but from everything I've read on this forum, I think that, in your position, I'd try and see whether flangesax had any space available - http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ It sounds like such a lovely place and there are loads of friendly snowHeads in the vicinity. I'm not sure, though, whether it's easy or difficult to get from Liverpool to Salzburg.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Found something in Samoens. Thought on the place? Sounds ideal, anyone skied there and know it well?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, might suit you well... great ski area, nice town, 10 mins walk from GVA
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be very interested in replys to this thread. I'm in a similar position, OH doesn't ski, so meeting up for lunch most days is important. She also enjoys sitting in the sun at the bottom of the slopes watching the skiing and drinking coffee/lamumba/beer/G&T, as her fancy takes her. Laughing

Fixed for this year, Livigno for Christmas. The ski area is a little small, but we havn't been for a few years, and with a day trip to St Moritz it'll be OK for me, I don't ski very fast. Suits Mrs C, duty free shops, easy access to the slopes and lots of cafes at the bottom of the slopes.

Then I'm off to Arabba for the BB. Some promising dumps so far, hopefully the snow Gods will continue to look down on us favourable. Laughing

Looking forward to what the collective snowhead experience comes up with.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, 10 minute walk from Geneva???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder,
Samoens is a lovely spot an attractive village close to the airport. The main down side is that it is not well positioned for lunch time meetings with skiers. One of you will need a bus journey to meet up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megeve, just take a credit card.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, contact Ben and Ange, aka flangesax at http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ They will see you have a mega weekend. Flights from Liverpool to Salzburg are OK I think. I know Geepee and Scapa, amongst many others have used the link to get there. Radstadt is perfect and you will also have a good balance of skiing and Apres to enjoy, especially as they now have a brand-spanking new bar to enjoy.

Plus it is incredibly good value for money if you take the catered option. Loads for the missus to do in the village and dead easy to meet up with each other no matter where you decide to ski. Biggest bonus, you can leave the credit card with her as there are few "luxury shops" à la Megeve and the like for her to do any serious damage to it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, I've been to Sameons a few times, lovely place. It is only at 700m so you have to catch a bubble up to the skiing ( but that is not a problem) it has more of a proper french village feel than purpose build Ski resort , although there are plenty of ski shops and bars other shopping opportunities to keep you busy! As said above its location might make meeting for lunch a bit tricky. There is cross country skiing and nice walking in Samoens for those not wanting to hit the slopes but still wanting a bit of activity, Morzine and the PDS are short drive away if you want to "get out"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure what to do. Think we are going to just book the flights, then get accommodation sorted nearer the time last minute so it's cheaper. Does anyone else think that £379 is expensive for 5 nights in a catered chalet, middle of January?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Does anyone else think that £379 is expensive for 5 nights in a catered chalet, middle of January?

No. £75 a night dinner, bed and breakfast? Sounds OK to me if it's a decent chalet (shouldn't be rubbish, but definitely not top end, at that price) You were talking about a "luxury apartment". You'd pay at least that for an apartment anywhere approaching "luxury"! You won't get bargain basement when you're looking for accommodation that cuts into two normal letting weeks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamonix? Loads to do for a non-skier, fairly easy to meet up with a little planning. Close to GVA, skiing is great apres excellent. What more do you want?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder, Hi buddy... With respect to you going to Samoens, it is a lovely village but the accommodation can be spread out a bit, so if you decide to go there, ensure you are close to the village centre... The bubble is about 10 minute walk out of the village centre... I have a good friend who runs a chalet out there, and dishes up 'the most amazing food'... The only issue is the place is a decent walk form the village. It is actually closer to Vercland and its left there... Poss not the best location if your OH wants to meet for lunch every day... Could be a pain coming back to 1600 all the time...

http://www.chaletmariestuart.com/

If you still fancy the Grand Massif, and I cannot speak highly enough of this place.. I love it there... Then I would recommend Les Carroz as the preferred village... It is more centrally located in the GM, you can ski right down and the lift is not far from the village centre (bus system is very good here) The village is lovely and has a lot of good places to eat/drink...

Again I have a very good friend who runs a French B&B here. The accommodation is very nice indeed and you might be able to the days you are after...

http://www.labergerie-lescarroz.com/index_en.php

Claude is a very genuine host and very welcoming Smile

Hope this helps buddy...
latest report
Megeve is your best bet to keep teh non skier happy
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
... and broke Wink
snow conditions
AlpineAddict wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
... and broke Wink

Can't argue with that.
ski holidays
Megeve is a no no as its far to expensive! Thought we had found a chalet in La Clusaz but they wont take a part week booking. Still looking. Ski in/out would be great!
ski holidays
Quote:

Ski in/out would be great!

maybe not so great for your wife, though. Have you looked at St Gervais? It's an attractive town with lots going on. Not ski in/out but as long as you're within striking distance of the gondola, that wouldn't be a problem. Links into the same ski area as Megeve but I would much prefer to spend time there, as a non-skier, than in Megeve. (Though I'd be OK in Megeve with someone else's credit card....).

You will probably struggle with accommodation for your dates though, till nearer the time.
latest report
pam w, she is more than happy to sit in the chalet and read, tv, laptop, do some Uni work etc. Also meeting up for lunch etc. I will look at St Gervaisand see what comes up. Cheers.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, would she be interested in getting warmly dressed and coming up a mountain to meet you somewhere spectacular, or would you be going back to your accommodation? You can't (normally) ski down in St G so that would be a bit of a schlep.

Don't rely on getting British TV!

If your wife is very self sufficient and will just enjoy the peace and quiet and getting together for lunch and is not bothered about "activities" and "shopping" you might be better in a much smaller place where accommodation (and those lunches) will be cheaper. If you have to rendezvous centrally for lunch you won't be able to explore a large area anyway, so that would be a bit of a waste.

One of the other owners of apartments in my place sometimes rents his out for odd lengths of time. Nice 2 bed apartment, beautiful views, piste-side, but absolutely nothing in the way of "activities" or "entertainment" other than a nice restaurant and bar. Very easy to meet for lunch in that restaurant, or in the apartment, and there's a reliable (though not very frequent) bus service into the main resort, with all the usual facilities. If I'm around then, depending on what other visitors I have in tow, I'd be happy to show you around a bit.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gordon.bodiesmith/prices.html

BUT - I wouldn't normally recommend it for non-skiers who sometimes say they'll be happy with their books and then begin to moan on day 2. Only you know whether it would suit your wife!!
snow conditions
pam w, thanks. I will look into that and mention it to her when I pick her up later from work. I think she has her heart set on a catered chalet, but if not then the apartment looks lovely. Thanks for the link.
snow report
We did La Clusaz a couple of years' ago. Very French. not too many Brits -which was nice.
latest report
Flims; go and see dwarf the ski.

Klosters; bit dearer.

Les Carroz; cheaper, frencher there's an apartment owning slushnut in these parts.

But, if you want her in doors to stay happy; you need a fairly big town like Chamonix. And you can give SZK a prod.
snow report
Quote:

But, if you want her in doors to stay happy; you need a fairly big town like Chamonix

well, not necessarily; depends what she wants. I would much prefer to spend a week in my apartment, not skiing, than in the middle of Chamonix, not skiing.

I do think a catered chalet is a good idea - would be more company around, and possibly other non skiers. A non-skiing mother, in one chalet I stayed in, quite enjoyed pottering around helping the very nice woman who was running the chalet and who had broken her wrist, so was struggling a bit. It was just that self-catering was mentioned at the outset. But obviously a nice chalet will be more expensive. I'm sure something will crop up.
snow conditions
You can get up to Samoens 1600 by car, or on the bubble as a pedestrian, so you wouldn't necessarily have to go down to meet for lunch (although there are some fantastic restaurants!). I'm not sure if they do it during the day, but I know that the restaurant at the Gouilles/Dahu cross happily collect people on their skidoo for evening meals - and the food is fantastic. (OK, I'm drooling now, and I'm not back there for 5 weeks!)

We'll be out there 19-27th Jan if you want some company, and someone who knows the area (in-laws live out there all season).
ski holidays
Chamonix for Geneva

Mayrhofen for Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
As many of you know we got married back in September, but due to my dads Cancer illness we couldnt go away anywhere. We are looking at doing a short break Wednesday - Sunday in January. Easyjet flights from Liverpool to Geneva are coming out at £170 for the 2 of us, so probably want to head not to far from Geneva to maximise ski time, if possible even ski the Wednesday afternoon and Sunday Morning.

So, where would you go to for the following criteria

*Maximum 2 Hours from Geneva
*Preferably not the PDS, done it 4 times
*Large ski resort
*Must be non skier friendly (OH doesnt ski, so easy to meet for lunch a must)
*Preferably a luxury apartment so OH can chill out for the few days
*Possibility of meeting up with some Snowheads as i will be on my own

Open to suggestions guys. Never been to Austria/Switzerland so i would even go there and fly to another airport if it came out cheap enough.

Thanks for your help!!!

Verbier.

Europe's second best ski resort.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
Skrabble, I don't know Mayrhofen, but I know from experience that it's not very easy for skier and non-skier to meet up for lunch in/around Chamonix unless the non-skier has a car.
ski holidays
Non Skier could always get the bus to meet up and see a bit more of the valley rather than just the town (for Chamonix). Mayrhofen centre is easily reached from the Penkenbahn or via ski bus for the other areas. Tignes/Val'D would be a good shout but it is over 2 hours from GVA which proves a bit limiting if you want a large area to board/ski.
latest report
Chamonix is a big no no. Never wanted to go there, probably never will go there. Skiing is all I've the place and its to big really. Found a lovely family fun chalet in Samoens. Just sent an email explaining our circumstances so I will see what they say and hopefully they can sort something out for us. Very good website offering help with absolutely everything. They even Offer to ski with you every day if you wish so that's good! Just hope they have room!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy