Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Augmented Reality ski/snowboarding phone application

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

I'm in the process of making a phone app for skiers and snowboarders, I'm a university student and as part of my market research I've produced a questionnaire. This app will actually be going on the market completely free of charge. Therefore if you wouldn't mind filling in this short questionnaire I'd greatly appreciate it! This uses a new technology but all is explained in the link.

http://obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id=9A5D0CC2-D56B-4F67-83D2-979A29A6659E

Thanks, sorry if this is in the wrong place mods/admins.[/url]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't finish the survey. I getto where it says thanks for filling it out, any comments.

I try clicking the next page button and it won't go further.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same problem here. For info this is on an android tablet using the stock browser.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same problem here - clicking on the next button to finish but nothing happens? Using an iPad.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ what skidoodle, said.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting concept, like it. Particularly if you can overlay the pisted runs over a remote view as well as from an 'in-map' perspective.

Again had problems with the questionnaire.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for the feedback all, as it's a free project, I have no funding to pay for an online Questionnaire that has unlimited questions and saves you guys the adverts and another click just to say thanks, I've made a little adjustment now.

As for progress, I'll keep an update on here, as it stands by Easter 2013 I should have something on the market, but by next winter season there should be a full blown application out there!

Thanks again all those who have responded.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I actually forgot to mention, that is the end of the survey itself, but it automatically adds in the "Next page" link..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so if we have clicked next 20 times because it looks like we are supposed to is that going to skew your results?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fortunately no, they have a validation that if the same two set of results are entered at similar times it automatically cancels out one of them. Best of a bad bunch of free online surveys I'm afraid Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
olliesmith, Good idea, good luck with it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
olliesmith, one point to remember though, most of us who do take smartphones to the mountain turn off Data once we're abroad - using Wifi for data when in range as roaming data charges are prohibitivly expensive. Don't know how this would affect the functionality you'd intended...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
olliesmith, there's another smartphone OS. It runs on Nokia phones - Symbian.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike, nope.. Nokia phones now run primarily run window mobile OS. The last Symbian phone was released in June '12. No point supporting a dead platform that few people use.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I did prior to this project research into how it would work as it can be extremely costly to use data abroad on mobiles. However users would essentially have to download the map beforehand; then once on the resort use GPS to locate where they are which is completely free of charge and numerous Smartphones have GPS capabilities built in.

That's as detailed as research has taken me this far anyway!
ski holidays
It'd be good if it could carry either your personal and/or community shared notes like "Gets flat, carry your speed", "Caution: Gets scoured" or "Mogul field Ahoy!"

Able to pull up stats on a particular run, distance, vertical drop etc and what runs it leads to (ie following this red will lead to either a blue (bear left) or a black (straight on))

Find mountain services a quickest route to them, or any waypoint you set on the map ie a meeting point with friends, and it'll plot a route satnav style.
ski holidays
Timmaah wrote:
telford_mike, nope.. Nokia phones now run primarily run window mobile OS. The last Symbian phone was released in June '12. No point supporting a dead platform that few people use.

Correct, but not the point. The online survey asks what OS your smartphone uses. There's no option that a Symbian user can choose as an answer. It's an issue with the survey, not a comment on the state of the nation regarding mobile operating systems Smile
snow conditions
any chance of posting the youtube link in here? the survey uses javascript that doesn't let you click URLs or cut+paste.
snow conditions
An app that overlaid the piste map on top of what you were seeing on the screen would be awesome. Also a route planner would be cool (current location to a certian lift, or bar, or home!) and then it calcs the best route for you would be good.
latest report
Quote:

Also a route planner would be cool (current location to a certian lift, or bar, or home!) and then it calcs the best route for you would be good.

Dolomiti Superski app does this (A to B, and iirc some key itineraries too). Maybe there are similar apps for other areas.
latest report
Friend of mine used a similar app in Scotland. It was meant to identify every mountain she pointed it at. Apparently they were all called The Matterhorn Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy