Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Circuit

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Im off to the 3 Valleys in mid January and can't wait, but I have a question..... Is there a circuit or specific route for covering the 3 Valleys in a day. Having been to Tignes and doing the Killy Dash and also some of the set routes in Mayrhoffen I find these a good way of covering a lot of miles and vertical in a day, also a good way of getting your bearings in a new resort/area and take in a lot of the scenery.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ps - we are staying in Val Thorens!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skrabble, not aware of a particular "circuit," but you'll head down into Meribel then up to Saulire (or Col de la Loze) then down into 1850 and across to 1650.

You can pick different routes depending on the sort of slopes you want to ski.

Maybe lunch above 1650 at the Bel Air on the terrace (having booked ahead).

Very doable in a day, but best to start early to give yourself time (you don't want to get stuck in the wrong valley). Also pick good weather to enjoy views and avoid getting lost.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a set of lifts marked on the map that if you take them all during a week you can get a certificate saying you've doing the 3 Valleys Escapade (or something similar). A few people take the challenge of trying to do this in one day, which given the number of lifts and length of day is quite tricky.

If you look at the S3V website they also (or at least used to) have some suggested itineraries.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skrabble, I've got an iPhone app for the 3V that seems to be able to tailor an itinerary for you - might be worth you downloading. You input level of skiing, start time, how long you want to take and kind of pistes and it...well at the moment it gives a load of '?' but the rest of the app is useful to have I guess. What nozawaonsen, says is how to get over to Courchevel. Creux is good run before it gets too crowded and there are also some flattering blacks there too [imo].
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at www.latania.co.uk - They talk about the 3V Escapade on there with lots of details.
Lots of miles to cover so please make sure you post back how you got on. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skrabble, there is something called "The 3 V Escapade". Google it and it will give you directions. People do it usually over a weeks skiing, but people try and do it in a whole day. It can be done but you have to be up for the first lift, practically skii all day then get on one of the last lifts back. We were going to do it back in january, but it was just to much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok,

Cheers for the info, the Escapade looks spot on, will be trying that in a day i reckon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skrabble group of us based in La Tania successfully completed the 3V Escapade in a day three years ago, although it did mean we had to trek back through the trees from Courchevel!

Tried it again last January, same route and similar group/standard of skiers (fast) but didn't even get close. Sure the route is important and the standard of skier but the biggest challenge is to avoid lift queues in some of the key places!

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will be 2 of us (boarders) both pretty quick so hope to be able to nail it in a day. Going out 12th of Jan so hope the resorts are fairly quiet and queues are minimal Madeye-Smiley

Can not wait for it now!

Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skrabble - you may find this useful for ideas http://www.courchnet.com/ski/area/itineraries.html. I am there in 5 days. I can't wait!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is there a circuit or specific route for covering the 3 Valleys in a day.

How about:

up: Plein sud, 3V2 (or bouquetin), down: Venturon,up: plan des mains, down: sitelle, martre, truite. (arrive meribel)
up: Rhodos 1+2, down:renardeau, up: Loze, down: dou des lanches or lanches or bouc blanc, down: folyeres (arrive la tania)
up: La Tania, praz juget, down: chenus , up:biollay, down:pralong, pramareul, up:roc mugnier, down: ariondaz, marquis (arrive courchevel 1650)
up: ariondaz, signal, down: bit of grande bosses, up:pyramide, roc merlet, down: chanrossa or jean pachod, up:Marmottes, down: sanglier/niverolle/marcassin, aigle (arrive mottaret)
up: combes down: bit of martre, up: chatelet: down:bouvreuil, up:cote brune, down: whatever you like (arrive VT)

not so difficult was it? Smile

You'll notice there are few cabins in my route - I hate taking my skis off and hate cabins even more. also any queues are usually much less (or non existant). i personally would have missed out ariondaz and taken the drags instead (belvedere and granges) but I don't know how fast you are. You could miss out Chanrossa and bail out of 1650 down roc mugnier then up gravelles+suisse to hop over to mottaret instead.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 10-12-12 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyrew, you do realise they're boarders? You've got a lot of flat sections in that route.

Don't think they'll thank you much for sending them on the uphill walk to Plan des Mains, the Truit (long flat Green) followed by the walk across the Chaudanne to the Rhodos or the Blue path section of Martre that leads to the Chatelet chair.

Don't suppose they'll like the Praz Juget and Pyramide tows much either. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You've got a lot of flat sections in that route.

Truite isn't exactly flat, I always seem to be able to get quite a speed down it and almost make it to Rhodos. Skullie It's not uphill to plan des mains, either, if you come down Venturon, but you have reminded me what lac de la chambre is like so I've editted that bit out!! snowHead

Quote:

you do realise they're boarders?

I hadn't read that bit, but; Natural selection. If the equipment isn't up to the job......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If staying in 1850 or 1650 we always enjoyed the run over to mt vallon and back, whilst not the longest it is good fun.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies!

We are both pretty quick on our boards and don't really get caught out on flat sections very much unless they have long uphill sections . Boards are always waxed before we go and then again half way through the week Razz Drag lifts are no worries either just a little uncomfortable on very long ones Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Quote:

t's not uphill to plan des mains,

IIRC it is not uphill to Plan Des Mains from any of the runs from the VT side if you get a decent enough scoot on.
latest report
I asked about 3V last year from Val T

Quote:

This is the route (lift names) starting in La Tania with approximate times:
9.10 La Tania *
9.25 Dou des Lanches
9.35 Biollay *
9.45 Vizelle *
10.00 Dent de Burgin *
10.10 Golf *
10.25 Roc de Fer
10.35 Olympic *
10.50 St Martin 1 *
11.00 St Martin 2
11.10 Roc de Tougne *
11.30 Granges
11.40 Becca *
11.50 Montaulever *
12.05 Peclet *
12.20 Moraine
12.30 Col *
12.45 Portette
13.00 Grand Fond
13.20 Peyron
13.30 Bouchet *
13.50 Rosael
14.05 Plan de l'Eau *
14.20 La Masse 1
14.30 La Masse 2 *
14.45 Doron
14.55 Mont de la Chambre
15.10 Mures Rouges *
15.15 Plan des Mains
15.25 Pas du Lac 1
15.35 Pas du Lac 2
15.45 Roc Mugnier
15.55 Chapelets *
16.10 Gravelles
16.20 Tovets *
16.30 Plantrey

* = checkpoint

and if you want to start in Val T:

Quote:

Raceplate's route is much the same as we did, from VT I'd be inclined to start with Plan de l'Eau and follow his lifts. That way you have your local lifts at the end to finish off with, don;t know what time Rosael closes at though.
latest report
Cheers Kat.ryb, did you manage it in one day?
latest report
No Sad Nearly. I had one checkpoint left, Bouchete. However I would have needed to do Peyron > Bouchet > Rosae to be able to get home and I couldn't risk it with the time I had left as Peyron and Bouchet are so slow and long.

It was very slushy and super slow around St Martin which sapped a lot of time. Plus I had a big queue on one of the lifts, I can't remember which.

I planned to only consult the map on lifts, but I had to stop several times on the slope to check directions, so if you know your way around you will have a better chance.

There is one lift, I can't remember which which you take, and then ski down the EXACT same bit of slope and past it to the next lift. So you could cheat and just swipe and not actually go through that lift, although that kind of defeats the point!
snow report
Sounds like it could be a good challenge this!, having not been to the 3V's at all i think a day or two of orientation may be required Very Happy
snow report
Skrabble, the route listed above is the one I set last year. You can see it here https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/medium/3V_Escapade_Piste_Map_2012.jpg

I think there's too many flat sections for an unfamiliar boarder to do it in one day BUT if you're going to have a go and I were going from VT I would start with the Peclet above and then follow the circuit.

This leaves you various 'bale-out' options at the end of the day if you're short on time:
From Vizelle, go straight to Platieres and Cote Brune to VT
From St Martin 1/2, miss out Roc de Tougne and go straight to Granges
From Granges, miss out Becca and Montaulever and go straight to Mont de la Chambre back to VT.

Mont de la Chambre shuts later than Cote Brune so always go that way if times are tight - you are then in the correct valley to get the bus back to VT if it goes badly wrong. You don't want to get stuck in either the Meribel or Orelle valleys as that's a very expensive taxi! You can always fill in the gaps another day and still get your certificate.

All the best and let us know how you get on.
snow report
Raceplate, yes you did post that, thanks Happy

I tried to search the forum and couldn't find the post to link to but did your route copied out into an email.
latest report
kat.ryb, the original thread is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1961884&highlight=escapade#1961884

I've also had a look at the 2013 piste map and it appears that it is the same for this season. Toffa from latania.co.uk is going to update the website soon with the route too. I've sent him the PDF file of the route that I put on my phone so I'm hoping he will make that available for download. It's just a list of lifts with target entry time but is a great tool - put it on your smartphone - it keeps you on schedule and there's no need to ever get a piste map out (assuming you know the area!) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

assuming you know the area

Yeah.... I want to go back to Val T and have another go with someone who knows the way! Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm not expecting to get much skiing in this season but was thinking of VT as a possibility for mid April. If you're there too, guiding is always available in exchange for beer Very Happy
ski holidays
Raceplate, have you got a larger copy of the map you posted?
snow report
Skrabble, yes, but I've nothing to upload it to. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting...! Was in La Tania last year and never quite got round to doing the Escapade but heading to Meribel on the 2nd Feb so hopefully give it a try then. Hoping that's the week the lift times get extended so give us a little insurance. Looking at the La Tania route, thinking that by starting on Plan de l'Homme and heading to the VT valley first will hopefully give us the insurance of finishing off in the Coucheval Valley with the opportunity to bail out back into the Meribel valley late on if we're behind schedule. Guess a lot of it is down to missing lift queues and having good conditions.

The beer will be well earned at the end of that day!!!
snow report
Raceplate, How do you PM on here? Embarassed
snow conditions
Skrabble, top of page send/read messages
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy