Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to mount a camera to skis or boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi i have a veho mini muvi camera and just had an idea for when i next go skiing about mounting my camera to my skis or boots . I was going to buy just a normal suction mount for a mini camera and stick it on the skis . Anybody have any advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Because i thought it would be cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look on Dogcam, they have loads of mounts, you need the surfboard mount.......I agree with stewart woodward, but each to their own, don't know how long it'd last though without trashing your camera. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not an expensive piece of kit but i might buy one of them cheap chineese cameras just to test it . Thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can also get something like a QuiverKiller put into the ski, much safer than having a stick on or suction mount!

On the boot you just need to get a strap that goes around it. GoPro's come with one as part of the standard pack.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, Do QK do a standard camera screw mount size? Interesting idea that, could epoxy one into my skiing helmet (notice how I put "skiing" in there to avoid all the jokers' comments!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless you go for a mount that physically attaches to the ski you will struggle as it is difficult to get a suction cup to stay on a ski, I have tried. Part of the problem is that most skis are not flat, and they don't just have wind blowing across but snow. I have made it work on very light snow on piste, but this was with an older head ski which have a very plat based and top sheet.

the adhesive mounts do work but make sure you fit them well and let them cure properely.

Mounting to the boot is a lot easier, you can use a strap or adhesive mount and this position does give an interesting viewpoint.

Whichever you go for use a tether to make sure if the mount does fail you don't lose the camera.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaffa tape. Never fails. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, I wouldn't put one in the helmet on the grounds its a lump of metal in a now weak spot. I've not actually tried this mounting strategy for skis myself but know it's widely used.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Won`t the lense get guffed up rather quickly at that level?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
depends.

if the camera is pointing forward from the tip of the ski and you are on freshly groomed piste, you can actually get some good shots, but this can depend on the camera and the profile of the lens and housing.

a nice shot is actually to mount the camera from the ski tip, facing back towards the skier.

The boot shots can work really well and suffer less with snow clogging than the lower shots, but like all shots they need to be used to effect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stuck my gopro onto my ski with a standard adhesive mount with no problems, just make sure you secure the camera with a leash just incase, walking 100 yards up a steel slope isn't going to be fun.

Bear in mind that the adhesive mounts work on nice smooth surfaces, some ski's (mine included) have a textured top sheet.

I got fairly decent front and skiier shots but the footage does tend to suffer from ski chatter.

My mount did eventualy come off the ski, when I chucked them in the bag to bring home.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The problem is they will be rented skis so i didnt think putting adhesive on would be a good idea . Might go with the boot shoot or if i can get some velcro or a good suction then i might try it . My camera come with a clip on tag and some a neck lace so i dont loose it . Good ideas
latest report
suction wont work on a boot shot as there is not enough space for one.

the adhesive mounts (usually 3m based) are easily removed (gentle use of a hair dryer is the best way) and if you are basically careful you wont damage the top sheet in any way.
snow conditions
Benefc123, I just bought a stainless steel leash off Ebay for a few quid that will be a safety rope for my delkin. Useful item. That and Duct Tape!

ansta1, Either that or some white spirit to remove the tacky residues.
ski holidays
skimastaaah, good shout, and you can also use a cheap steel fishing tracer as a tether, though I generally use thin cord or cable ties depending on the position.

Also, it's sometime advised to use a cable tie around the gopro cases as the clips have been known to fail on occasions. Though usually in one of 3 circumstances.

1. severe crash which happens to rip the locking clip.
2. if the clip has been damaged through poor closure technique ( you should hold the case closed tightly rather than using the clip to close the case)
3. If going down deep. The pressure forces the case closed (good as it keeps the seal tight), but has the effect of taking the pressure of the locking latch and as you ascend the clip pops open and the camera housing is flooded.
snow conditions
Ive done some boot strap video shooting with a kodak playsport and this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tune-Belt-Armband-iPhone-Blackberry/dp/B006J5T7HC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1355244210&sr=8-8&tag=amz07b-21

It should suit your camera too. and if you add another velcro strap or the tune belt extender they sell, you can have a chest strap. That's what I did, it works well.
snow conditions
If you have a GoPro, this seams like a good idea ... although it looks easy when you've got your boot off indoors. Much more of a faff outdoors when you've got your boot on.

http://youtube.com/v/CrdhflsrxHk

Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy