Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ST Johann or Kaprun?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am looking to go skiing on 19th of january for 1 week with hubby. Im so excited but cant make my mind up where to go.

we have been to Niederau, Skiwelt and Mayrhofen in the past and liked all of these areas. We are both intermediate skiers. I've looked at TO's websites for deals and Kaprun and St Johann came up but I just cant make my mind up. We are not bothered about apres ski and just want a good week skiing and enjoying the austrian food. lol Very Happy

Any tips and advise most welcome to help me decide please.

Thank you

moonshine Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Johan Salzburg (Ski Amäde) or Tirol?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier at Kaprun, turn left just outside the top lift and you have a around wooden restaurant - th emost wonderful traditional austrian food - i had a a deer stew with redcurrants to die for up there and my wife had something just as great

In fact there are (at least) 2 great restuarants (one half self service) in the MaiseKogel hill in Kaprun too. And then you have Hotel Orgler in the centre of Kaprun, amongst other places

Dont know about St Johann, but we have been to Kaprun 3 times and had good holidays
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB,

St Johann in Tirol. The skipass is the Schneewinkel Area Skipass. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112,

Hi, thanks for that. Is the Kitzsteinhorn glacier skiarea included in the Kaprun-Zell am See Skipass? I can't make it out on the website. lol
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i'll chip in with a response to that last question - yes. the first year i lived in munich, it snowed a lot early on and then didn't snow for about 2 months really, so we 'lived' on the kaprun glacier (and in the irish pub in the village!).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St. Johann in Tirol is a pleasant area but, on its own, relatively small (not as big as the Skiwelt or Zillertal area, for example, but a little bigger than Niederau alone). But if you are happy to bus around to the other Schneewinkel resorts, Fieberbrunn, Steinplatte/Waidring, etc., there would be more than enough to keep you happy for a week.

If you're staying in Kaprun, there is the small Maiskogel area at the end of the village. For more skiing you would have to take a bus to the Kitzsteinhorn lifts or into Zell (the one ticket covers all these areas). The Kitzsteinhorn (at around 3000m) could be cold in January. I have posted quite a few photos from the Kitzsteinhorn in the Austria Snow Report 12/13 and more recently a few from the upper slopes at Zell in this thread.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
* Long answer
Think as intermediates (if) wanting skiing from town then St. Johann would be better than Kaprun, as it's local skiing area is tiny. Zell am See is on the Kaprun lift pass but a bus ride away as is the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. If bussing it is not a problem then all well and good, but St. Johann has a bigger local area and the Schneewinkl pass (I think) covers more piste than the Zell/Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn one.
* Short answer
Go to St. Johann. Kaprun to small as it's area pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy