Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back protectors - comparison

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I've been wearing a back protector for the last few ski trips following a nasty crash and the opportunity to buy a Tog24 hard shell one for around £25 shortly afterwards. I thought for that money nothing to lose and I now feel that skiing without one would feel a bit naked, like skiing without a helmet - but let's not go there!

Although, it's diffficult to quantify I do think it has been of benefit in a few fairly big wipeouts including doing a comedy, cartoon style feet skidding from underneath me for what felt like several minutes, then landing on my coccyx on a slippery restaurant terrace! Embarassed

I've been thinking about upgrading to something a bit more comfortable (although mine is pretty good tbh), better quality and less obtrusive (I do look a bit hunchbacked with it under my ski jacket!).

EB have just emailed me their w'end £10 off offers including these two:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/back-protector-soft/5738

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/back-protector-sport-lite/5749

Just wondered if anyone had any strong feelings/ experiences on either of them, good or bad before I take the plunge on one?

Thanks. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a Sport Lite a week ago and used it at Hemel for around 6 hours and to be honest I forgot I was wearing it. Good piece of kit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I often use my motorcycle jacket which has one integrated into it. Probably not as good as a some separate ones, but the whole jacket cost less than some of those you mention.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can see the advantage of a back protector if your boarding, as you can fall directly backwards, but can someone explain the advantages of wearing them when skiing (genuine question - I'm not trolling!). Do they protect against twisting / torsional injuries or are they more designed for impact? Also I can see why you might wear one racing, but for average general resort skiing what are the benefits.

I'm interested as the wife asked me if she should wear one, and I am interested to understand their use and limitations, i'm happy to be convinced, I have decided to go for a helment this year for the first time- so I'm not totally stuck in my ways..

To be fair the falling on slippery surface is probably good enough reason to wear one - I have seen too many people stack it when crossing roads, terraces etc...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Tyke, I have an Atomic one for racing thats FIS approved and looks similar to the "lite" one in your post but just with kidney belt and no shoulder straps, fits snug and not too "hunchy" looking but works ( really well) that would be my choice Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BenAS wrote:
Do they protect against twisting / torsional injuries

Not at all.

BenAS wrote:
I can see the advantage of a back protector if your boarding, as you can fall directly backwards, but can someone explain the advantages of wearing them when skiing (genuine question - I'm not trolling!).

All bits of you are at potentially risk in a crash; its just a matter of how hard you crashed and what sort of things are going to meet you on the way. Also, out of control idiots are more dangerous when they come from up-slope, which usually means they're behind you. You'll get more mileage out of a helmet and a pair of impact shorts if you're a skiier or a boarder, but if you've already got those bits covered there's no reason why you shoudln't get a back protector if you felt like it.

I've met more skiiers and boarders with facial injuries than back injuries, and yet I know more people who have back protectors than full-face helmets or even mouthguards. At least with a back protector you don't have to compromise your "not looking a bit funny" principles Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If its too hunchbacked, then aren't you wearing it too long?

Its very important for it not to be too long at the top otherwise it can give you a neck injury. I would make sure you get it fitted in the shop and that would be my decider in choosing it. If its too long at he neck, I wouldn't be buying it
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy