Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The perfect layering combo?

Poster: A snowHead
Curious what people's 'perfect layering combo's' are, for all weather conditions. I already have my shell jacket and I'm investing in midlayers this season. I want to get it right.

I thinking:

Thermal base layer (Under Armour cold gear)
Polatec thermal pro high loft fleece (The North Face)
Wind proof Soft Shell Jacket or Gilet (The North Face)
Shell Ski Jacket (unknown make, 10,000 waterproof and wind proof rated)

Thermal leggings and ski pants on the lower half.

Wasn't sure whether to ditch either the fleece or soft shell and replace with a down gilet.

What are your thoughts and personal combos?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thin baselayer
Midweight fleece (Patagonia R1 or similar)
Shell

Carry lightweight puffy in case it turns cold. If I'm expecting it to be really cold will pack a proper down gilet

Of your combo, not a fan of softshell/windproof under a shell - reduces breathability too much
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Way too many layers man. Only needed for coldest days below -10 IMV. I rarely wear anything more than a baselayer, a football shirt. and my jacket/ pants.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thermals, ski shirt, gillet, jacket and trousers XTL, Coaches coat. All Spyder; enough to go to the supermarket in Tignes in January and walk down the broadwalk in the Palafour "shopping centre" Oh I forgot the crampons for the bit by the pharmacy if it has snowed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Base layer, thin fleece pullover and jacket on the top, baselayer and skis pats bottom half.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Warm = Fleece (elasticated wrists and waist) and wicking layer

Normal = Ski Jacket (vents open) and polo neck wicking layer

Cold = Ski Jacket (vents closed) and polo neck wicking layer

Very Cold = woolly hat, Jacket (vents closed) and polo neck wicking layer

Very Cold with snow/wind = Neoprene face mask, woolly hat, Jacket (vents closed) and polo neck wicking layer

(Ski Jacket = thinsulate 'over the head' jobby with a big chest pocket and a permanently attached hood - really cheap)

anything else is a breach of one of feef's 'Rules' - probably.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RattytheSnowRat, This for touring?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichTraff, I wore an Under Armour Extreme Cold base layer this morning under my wind proof cycling jacket. I thought I was going to die from the heat. Those things are dangerous, wear with caution. Shocked

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichTraff, a mate swears by Icebreaker.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Base layers, check. That's all I need under my ski jacket and salopettes. I also wear my base layers to work whilst everyone else sits shivering in their coats and scarves... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I should of explained things better.

I'm not considering wearing all these layers at once. This is more a list of layers that I would purchase, pack in my case, and mix and match depending on the weather conditions.

I was unsure about the soft shell, I guess a small reason why I'm considering it is because it'd be good for mountain biking.

Would people agree it'd be best buying a light down jacket or gilet rather than a soft shell?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RichTraff, my mileage is,

Base wicking layer of minimal thermal effect (because they double up in summer as running kit and are very minimal thickness)

Thermal base layer (both this and the above cheap as chips from Quechua/Decathlon)

Mid weight fleece, typically Patagonia R2 but Mountain Hardwear Monkeyman for very cold weather.

Shell.

Shell and R2 swapped for softshell and R1 in early spring, R1 discarded late spring.

Down gilet in rucksack for helicopter pickup waits in shade.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I usually go with something like;

Base layer

Fleece Shirt

Shell Jacket

Gillet in pack in case of cold day/lunch outside etc (when did body warmers become Gillets?)

Anything else is far too warm for me unless the temp is seriously cold Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Again, I'm in hte light camp. If it's below -10C I'll wear base layer on the bottom half, but anything down to that it's just ski pants, long sleeved base on top and a goretex shell. Decent gloves, a buff for the neck and a lid and I'm good to go. Sometimes I've put on an extra t shirt base on top but have always had to take it off after the first few runs. I do ski hot though and carry a synthetic thin duvet in the pack in case of having to stop, or for the bars afterwards.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
long sleeve baselayer, short sleeve base layer, shell jacket.
Short sleeve usually ends up in the jacket pocket.

The first day of every trip i can never decide what to wear, usualy end up with one baselayer, thin fleece and shell only to feel like i'm in a sauna
snow conditions
Thanks to Sport Pursuit, I have a lot fo new thermals to 'dial in' for this winter. So far, the Sweet Saviour top and bottoms have been great as a single layer (pretty thick for a baselayer = little need to layer over it) underneath a shell (top and bottom too). Fine for skinning with the jacket off in around -8ºC too.

In the past I've happily used cotton tshirt (yeah I know it's not the most efficient, but works 'acceptably' most of the time) plus single fleece (thin or heavy) under shell to be fine for pretty much all conditions. Smelly Hellys are great as a single layer under shell in Spring, but man they stink after a days skiing. Hoping my new merino will be as good minus the stink.
latest report
clarky999, cotton'll kill ya!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

So I've heard Laughing
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

The Canucks don't call it 'death cloth' for nothing! Very Happy
ski holidays
Ok, seems a popular combo ready for all weather conditions is:

Base layer

Thermal base layer

Fleece

Gilet

Shell
snow report
Okay. Now I'm looking into fleeces. I was pretty sold on the North Face Super Siula Jacket. But a lot of people seem to mention this Mountain Hardwear Monkey thing...

People talk about a 'mid-weight' fleece. Will either of those be too 'heavy-weight'?
latest report
RichTraff, I have this one: http://www.norrona.com/Products/0466-10/narvik-warm3-zip-hood-m

Very very happy with it - there was another thread on this recently where someone else bought it, and was also very happy. With a base layer and a shell, will keep you toasty down to v cold temps, great jsut on it's own too, and very well built.

Obviously that price is ridiculous, think I got mine for £70-80 from Craigdon Mountain Sports, but you're buying at the wrong time for good prices.
latest report
My God anybody would think you lot are cold blooded! With the exception of the coldest days I'd never wear more than a base layer top, jacket, ski pants and helmet.

REALLY cold days have a balaclava, mid layer on top and maybe, maybe, maybe base layer 3/4 leggings.

How on earth you can ski/board/move/stand still in heavier combos is utterly beyond me. You must risk heat exhaustion getting dressed!

Only must is really good gloves/mitts dependant on temperature. If people invested the money in this rather than oodles of unnecessary layers there'd be far fewer cases of pensioners-to-be with dodgy digits from rubbish gloves.
snow report
Gmd, insulated jacket, or shell? Once it's approaching -10 (or below) you need to add some insulation to your base layer.
snow report
RichTraff, I wear an Icebreaker 180 weight tee shirt under a 200 Icebreaker crew long sleeve, under a 320 Icebreaker zip neck, under a Mammut or Arcteryx shell, and lose one of the layers if warm day forecast, but always have it in my rucksack. Legs are icebreaker 3/4 200 leggings under Arcteryx shell or Haglofs pants. Gloves Hestra Army gloves or 3 finger mitts, with Haglofs liners if super chilly. Falke race socks. Smith helmet, Oakley A Frame goggles. Icebreaker merino neck doofer.

Some 1/2 price Icebreakers on Cotswold Outdoors Outlet online at the moment, can't go wrong with their gear, top stuff.
snow conditions
RichTraff, As clarky999, says shop about for deals, best time is summer but some online deals you can find, like you did with the goggles. Have a look at Sport Conrad, Bittl, Boarderstuff in Germany for example.
latest report
Gmd wrote:
My God anybody would think you lot are cold blooded!

The suggestions above generally involve thin base, thin shell and a mid. Is that really so over the top?

I do see a couple of suggestions for gilets to throw over the top when not moving, to be fair.

Gmd wrote:
jacket, ski pants

Any insulation in those?

Gmd wrote:
oodles of unnecessary layers

I do not think that word means what you think it means.
snow conditions
Base layer - arcteryx phasic ar or sv if freezing. I'm usually good then with just my Arc'teryx sabre pants and jacket, but depending on how cold it is I may add a polartec power stretch fleece or an atom ar or sv hoody. I usually have one of the atoms in the bag which I can use if we are stopping for a while. Or eating/drinking outdoors.

I think people often overlook the importance of a good pair of gloves. If my hands are cold the rest of me tends to cool down quickly. Hestra's rock.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was bl**dy freezing in Tignes last week, almost -30 with wind chill. I got by with Top HH Merino base/HH Polartec 200 fleece/ ME Goretex shell, Bottom Icebreaker 260 3/4 leggings/Microfllece bottoms/Marmot goretex shell salopettes. I was warm enough.
ski holidays
clarky999,

I also have a Narvik warm3, I can't imagine it getting cold enough to wear it. Putting it on is like going indoors with the heating on full belt. Very Happy
latest report
Claude B,

I've experienced -24/26 in Bulgaria without wind, it was no fun. Confused Even with good kit, well layered, my hands and face suffered.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-12-12 11:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'd boil in any down layer when skiing. I've seen lots of people wear them though. Same with a Narvik 3. They are just too warm for the effort I'm putting in / heat I'm generating.

My Normal combo is :

base (icebreaker 200 merino)
mid micro fleece. (haglofs)
shell (either Norrona lofoten or a Narvik). The latter is a bit heavier but warmer).

Of all those the shell is the easiest thing to get right. Any wind and water resistant / proof shell will do.
I've used softshells and mountaineering jackets and all worked. Vents / pitzips add some weight bit its worth it.

I'm not a fan of jackets with insulation, because they limit the options you have, or if the weather warms up.

It's what you wear under them that makes the biggest difference .

I like a full zip on a midlayer so you can open it rather than remove it. Base layer needs to wick.
I've used the above down to -23 before wind chill and been warm. Only began to feel the cold when stopped for any long period. I did feel it this year though in -17 with a biting 25 mph wind.

In these temps decent gloves and a balaclava are a must (or a helmet and a buff that'll stay up).

On the flip side, I just use the base and shell if its warmer but always have a emergency layer for me and the kids in the bag.

I generally only use thermal leggings when its well below 0 now I'm using softshell rather than goretex. They 'feel' warmer.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Thin baselayer
Midweight fleece (Patagonia R1 or similar)
Shell

Carry lightweight puffy in case it turns cold.

This is my layering system too.

If it's really cold I leave the shell jacket at home, and take a synthetic insulated jacket instead (climbers belay jacket).

I find that a Pertex windproof is a useful addition when I'm touring.
latest report
Here's my set-up for what it's worth. wink

Long sleeved merino base.
A technical T shirt, mostly 1/4 zip.
A lightweight 1/4 zip fleece.
Buff snood (grey with skulls, very Alexander McQueen my girls have told me.)
Hardshell. (This year, I'll be mostly wearing a Norrona Troll' pro shell in "eye searing" green.) Laughing

If it's mildish, the fleece goes in the backpack.

When it gets cold (after 3pm Bomardino stop), I have a Scott USA thermal jacket which I've had for years, it goes on and it's heaven. Very Happy

I have Icebreaker longjohns, but it has to be biting cold with wind before they go on, otherwise I boil. However, I'll be running ME Changabang salos next week, which might bring the longjohns out to play a little more often. Confused
ski holidays
I really feel the cold, so I wear a Merino wool base layer, a super-lightweight Rab goosedown jacket and a normal ski jacket. On my legs I wear Icebreaker leggings, fleecy pyjama bottoms (yes really) and 15k/15k fleece-lined ski trousers.

Plus a neckwarmer and a Mammut windstopper hat under my helmet.

When it's warm (March/April) I just wear a thin baselayer and a windproof softshell- and carry a spare layer in case.
snow conditions
I get really hot when I'm skiing. I generally have to ski with my jacket unzipped and vents open. I only wear one baselayer underneath, either a thin T-shirt type if it's hot or a long-sleeved one if it's cold. Last February in Cervinia we had 18º temperatures. I would quite happily have skied in jeans and a T-shirt. All this technical gear is lost on me... Confused
ski holidays
Mankini

Arc-tr-ky-x legwarmers

V-for-Vendetta facemask

fluro-wig hat
snow report
I'm another one who doesn't feel the cold.

Thermal top - helly hansen mid weight merino wool thingies. Breathable rugby shirt or similar over the top. Ski jacket over that; in spring I'll take the lining out. There's no need to have another fleece or thermal layer in that mix at all. Ski harder!
Thermal bottoms - salopettes.

I carry a snood sort of neckwarmer in a pocket for the odd cold lift and for when the weather changes.
snow report
I am thinking that some of the posters do not know what layering is...
snow conditions
Crell wrote:
I'd boil in any down layer when skiing. I've seen lots of people wear them though. Same with a Narvik 3. They are just too warm for the effort I'm putting in / heat I'm generating.

My Normal combo is :

Was -15ºC with a poo-poo-tonne of wind in Ischgl today, lightweight Helly merino and Sweet Saviour under the shell was just about ok, in more exposed places found myself wishing for the Narvik though - particularly when getting strafed with spindrift. Much colder and I'd definitely have swapped it for the Sweet top.

Agree it'd be way too hot a lot of the time though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy