Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

soll/ski welt advice

Poster: A snowHead
Got our trip booked and need to stave off the excitement by reading all i can about the resort. If any of you helpful souls have recently been to soll, id appreciate any answers to the following assortment of random questions:
Quite fancy the night skiing. Is there a suppliment to pay if i want to use the lifts at night? Would you reccomend?
Can anyone give me the name/location of a pub with table football? Bit of a ski hol tradition this.
Where serves the best currywurst mit pommes?
Staying at the hotel modlinger. Any reports?
General advice on the resort, good bars etc greatly appreciated.
37 days to go!!!!!

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Night skiing in soll is one of, if not the best thing, i've done on a ski hol!

Think we paid a bit extra - but cant quite remember - only two years ago too.

Stayed in scheffau - so cant help with the rest.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is the night skiing avaliable every night?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you just turn up or do you need to book in advance via tour operator?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can see the prices here. Looks like €23 for an evening (adult). There's more information here. It's quite a big skiing area. There's tobogganing too.

P.S. I wouldn't think that you have to book in advance.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-12-12 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mattmulkeen, Never been inclined to try night skiing before so your comment has grabbed my interest, maybe I should give it a go? what is it that was so great for you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redfoxjim, Went to Soll with group of 4 lads last March. From the main gondola station we always walked back into town which is only five mins downhill having stored all our equipment at Erdinger Sport at the main station which was fantastic service. There are a couple of bars on the left as you descend the gentle hill.

At the junction of the main road on the right hand corner you will find Bar Salvenstadl. This was always very popular particularly early evening. They have a nice outside grill and seating area which does all the standard Austrian grill food including currywurst. They also show Six Nations rugby if you are there around that time and interested. I think this is only two minutes if that from your hotel. The Whiskey Mule is also popular but dead early doors and perhaps not as lively as its reputation of old. Hotel Postwirt had quite a good bar too.

I don't recall table football anywhere but wasn't looking.

The night skiing did look enticing but to be honest we never ventured back out after a hard day skiing as either got too much beer on board or were just too tired. In March it was open on wednesday evenings not every night if memory serves me right. I also thought it was free for one evening on your week skiwelt pass but the Skiwelt website says E$ 23 for an adult.

Piste restaurants I would recommend are at the Brandstadl station and the one right at the top of Hohe Salve. The restaurant halfway down from Brandstadl towards Scheffau at the gondola midstation I would not recommend. Brandstadl is quite a good central point to base yourself for a day and it accesses loads of really good pistes.

A couple of days we shared a taxi across to Scheffau to start and it only cost a couple of euros each. Ellmau and Westerndorf well worth doing to. The whole area is very accessible with good links. You will have good time I'm sure!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in the Modlinger 8 (I think) years ago, it was a good hotel but the wrong side of town, I didn't mind the walk to the slopes & back but most of our group either used the bus (stops outside the hotell) or taxis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was in soll in march this year had a great week, stayed in the postwirt and cant recommend it enough

so tips........

put your kit into the ski garage under the main soll gondola at night its a great way to start your day, wander up from town and the kit is all ready and warm boots make a huge difference, think it was 14 Euro for the week, they also do rental if you need it (sport edringer)

the bar / guesthouse on the left as the exit the main gondola is good for beer and people watching but for food head to the one down to the right down by the 4 man and 2 man chairs great roast chicken.
dont bother with the red run back down to soll after 2pm its crap and super busy instead take the blue, which is down under the wee two man chair, its much longer and some nice hairpin bends and best of all a cracking wee bar halfway down that has a deck with a view of the lower valley

you should get table football in the red horse bar next to the supermarket (you will see the sign from the roundabout) the red horse is a "british" bar i.e run by brits and is full of reps etc

for a cracking meal go to the whisky mule, the food bit is up the stairs and its great the steak is fantastic

if heading out of the soll area for the day try to be up and away early as there is only really one way out and as everyone is using it, it gets cut up pretty bad by 10am

the night skiing is only on a wednesday in think and the way it works is they turn the access gondola off at either 5 or 6 and they restart it an hour later, your standard lift pass doesnt cover the night so you just pay the extra at the ticket window at the base, they only light the top half of the hill so you really have to download using the the gondola
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there a ski bus that links the towns along the valley?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redfoxjim wrote:

Yes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
redfoxjim wrote:

Yes.

But not very frequently. You can look at the ÖBB web site to see the times, inputting e.g. Soll and Ellmau.

The ski buses described here only seem to connect the hotels to the lifts within the various villages. But maybe somebody who has stayed there knows more.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri, it's been a while (several years), but getting from Westendorf to Soell and back on the bus was very easy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Night skiing is Wednesday to Saturday, I think. You don't have to book - just buy ticket. You could stay up the mountain after the days skiing, have a meal and then continue skiing after that. It takes about two minutes to get from the modlinger to the town centre and you have a ski bus that stops outside the hotel if I remember correctly. Table football try the Hotel Austria or the Hotel Tenne (not sure of the spelling) not sure if they have it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
espri, it's been a while (several years), but getting from Westendorf to Soell and back on the bus was very easy.

Must be in timetables I haven't found. The only buses I have found in that direction (here) are from Hopfgarten to Itter. I would think that it's easier to ski over from Westendorf to Söll Laughing
latest report
espri wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Must be in timetables I haven't found. The only buses I have found in that direction (here) are from Hopfgarten to Itter. I would think that it's easier to ski over from Westendorf to Söll Laughing

It is now lol, at that time it involved offpiste though (was a great pow stash!), which was/is a no go for a lot of the group I skied with then. It is of course possible the bus timetables have changed now the ski links have been 'improved!'

Edit: That was to Brixen
snow report
SkiWelt buses seem only to serve neighbouring resorts and not the whole area. Further afield you would need to use the Post buses, which may or may not be included on your lift pass. Only thing I can say about Soell (not having stayed there) is store your gear at the base station. That ginormous cow shed of a lift station is a long way from town. Some good skiing at Westendorf and don't overlook Going, small but perfectly formed.
snow conditions
HutToHut wrote:
SkiWelt buses seem only to serve neighbouring resorts and not the whole area. Further afield you would need to use the Post buses, which may or may not be included on your lift pass. Only thing I can say about Soell (not having stayed there) is store your gear at the base station. That ginormous cow shed of a lift station is a long way from town. Some good skiing at Westendorf and don't overlook Going, small but perfectly formed.

It is not a long way from town...I was there in March and its five to ten mins walk tops. But I do agree the storage at the station is excellent. We found the buses did not run between resorts well enough to make use of. They connect towns but do not link to the slopes too well at all. From my recollection of the timetable it was actually more efficient to ski to and from Westerndorf than take a bus.
snow report
jirac18,
Quote:

its five to ten mins walk

I yield to your greater knowledge! 10 mins walk in ski gear would be a pain.
Quote:

timetable it was actually more efficient to ski to and from Westerndorf than take a bus

My impression was that the timetable was designed intentionally to encourage you to ski rather than take the bus.
snow conditions
HutToHut, Regarding the walk, I never walk in ski boots at all these days so thats 5-10 mins amble in my comfy Salomon cross trainers. My First year of skiing we went to St. Johann in Tirol and my mates said "Lets walk up to the lift station." we then promptly took a wrong turn and ended up walking in ski boots for about half an hour. By the time I got on my skis my feet were killing me and I was proper mad! I swore never again so now I either stash boots in a locker such as in Soll or carry them lashed together over my shoulder or strapped to by backpack.

On the days where we took a taxi to Scheffau from Soll we just got our boots and skis from the locker at the main gondola and jumped in a minibus in the car park. It was commonplace for folks to do this to and from the various resorts around the Welt so we never needed to phone a taxi there were generally a few hanging about in the main lift station car parks. Usually cost 2 or 3 euros each fitting 5 or so in the taxi.

Reckon you're right about the timetable for the area bus. The ski bus within the resort of Soll taking you to the Soll main lift is timely and efficient however.
ski holidays
The Hexenalm hotel is on the walk down from the lift station back to town and serves great food in the bar area. The walk is long in ski boots, but I broke it by stopping at 1-2 bars on the way back usually the Hexenalm and Salvenstadl...

We stayed at the Gansleit and it was possible to ski nearly to the door across the fields... but we just usually turned the walk into a mini bar crawl and it made seem a lot easier.
latest report
tangledupinblue,

Its a number of things that makes it special. It was a lovely crisp clear night under the stars. There aren't many people about - and most that are appear to be small groups of locals. They ski fast on lovely empty - well pisted slopes - sweeping carving turns. There are no lift queues at all.

Just a whole different feel to the mountain at night.

There a couple of bars open up top - grab a mulled wine after - amble back down to the base.

Awesome
snowHead
snow report
Mattmulkeen, Cheers! You've convinced me; on my to do list for February at Hinterglemm
snow report
Not sure the link will work ...

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282513_528043793872700_591668206_n.jpg
latest report
Mattmulkeen, link works Very Happy
snow report
Good photo!
ski holidays
Is it possible to comfortably ski from soll to going and back in a day.? Taking a few detours and gluweins in along the way?
ski holidays
redfoxjim, Easily. Have done Westendorf > dinner > Going > Westendorf comfortably in a day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, have finally booked my hol. After swaying back and forth between SkiWelt & Silvretta Montafon, we opted for the Skiwelt (Ellmau> SportHotel Ellmau) We thought it offered more of what we wanted (nice cruisy blue runs, cool mountain huts etc, picturesque) Just booked with Thomas Cook, however, we could only book the hotel (no option to book ski pass/rental)
So, problem now is how do we book Ski Pass - dont want to get ripped off buying in resort. Have googled ski rental and Skiset came up (we used these in Italy) so happy to use again. Any shops recommended though (for Ellmau). Also, please can you advise best way of booking Ski Pass

if need-be, Im sure I can pop into thomas cook shop and book it through them, but if can be done on-line, would be great

thanks
snow conditions
why would you get ripped of in resort. By it direct from Skiwelt.....simples
snow report
Jon Ford, You can buy online and get it sent to you or receive a voucher to collect from the lift office at the bottom of the Hartkaiserbahn (main Ellmau lift offices).

As for getting "ripped off", I find that a sad commentary on how bad things have become in the UK that you would even think that Sad The Austrians in the resort will do everything in their power to ensure you have such a good time that you return again and again. be prepared for a new experience if being "ripped off" has been the norm for you before! Blush Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Didnt mean ripped off, just meant that I thought ski passes are usually more expensive in resort as they know you have to buy it there and then. If same price in resort as tour operator (approx £190 for a week) im happy to buy in resort. We booked ski rental through TO for les arcs and they were a lot chesper than in resort. ?...just presumed same with ski passes. Any help and booking equipment or lift pass ordering would be appreciated. Just dont want to order from "fraud" website...sure there isnt one just over paranoid. Thanks (and sorry for sounding like I have no clue) cantwait now its booked. 6weeks and counting
snow conditions
Jon Ford, been to Austria several times and have always found the prices for lift passes the same in resort as through the TO, in resort though you do sometimes get more options ie half day, family prices etc. off to Ellmau next week, can't wait Very Happy
snow report
Skiset is only available in one shop in Ellmau. You could try alpinresorts they are generally pretty reliable as do some good deals as agents. They will book skis for you at Sport 2000 in Ellmau or try them direct. I used Alpinresorts last year in Soll and got intermediate skis way cheaper than going direct to Erdinger at Gondola Stn.

Been to Austria three times and ski pass always exactly same price in resort as advertised on-line or with the To on the transfer.
ski holidays
The listed price for a 6-day SkiWelt ski pass is €209,50 (+ €2 deposit). You could ask about passes at your hotel, who provide passes with their own packages, tel. 0043 5358 3755 or e-mail info@sporthotel-ellmau.com. They might offer a slightly cheaper price.

The hotel is a short distance from the easier beginners' slope at the east end of the village. To get to the Harschbichl funicular railway you will either have to take the bus or ski from the beginners' area to Going, go up the Astberg chairlift there and then ski back over to Ellmau (a run including some moderately steep sections).

Enjoy your visit.
snow report
Thanks everyone. Will take a look at options. Glad pass is same in resort. Will keep an eye out on line too. Is there some where to store skis near the train (like near the gondala in soll) so we can catch bus in trainers and get changed there, or do we have to bus it kitted up. Dont mind skiing from going. Wilk try it and see what its like. feefee, keep us posted when out there if you can. Have a great time. Looking forward to it now.
snow report
espri, thanks for contacts for hotel. Will email them for details
ski holidays
Anyone know if the bus into soll runs kate when night skiing is on. Want to ski at night and film jump park
snow report
Anyone know if the bus into soll runs kate when night skiing is on. Want to ski at night and film jump park
latest report
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy