Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne- Val Cenis / Valloire

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone out there with some feedback ? Love to hear from you. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good, no replies; this must mean more empty pistes, and no lift queues again. The secret valley.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be following this thread after putting it on my to-visit list.

Let's throw in some webcams:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It means no lifts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What means no lifts?

Also I think Val Cenis and Valloire are separate enough resorts to possibly deserve their own snow report threads.

I tried to start a Valloire/Valmeinier one previously - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2136241
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In fact, cstreat you even posted in the other one!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a trip report somewhere. From memory it was ok , nice and quiet but not loads of runs, and a car would help getting from one to the other.
Peak retreats make it look very nice in their brochure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will be in Val Cenis at Half term and pondering a New Year trip as conditions look ready to open now on the webcam. 30 odd lifts and plenty of runs with all over the mountain skiing uto 3000M. Don't need much more unless all you wnat to do is clock up mileage. Returned here after a 15 year break about 3 years ago, having done all the mega resorts in between and it is a refreshing surprise. lift queues at half term are 10 mins max for the main gondola and there is plenty untracked off piste to go at well after a fresh fall. Prices are very good as it is a village rather than a resort. If you do have a car you can do Bonneval, ValFrejus, Valloire etc but also get into the 3 Valleys via Orelle which is only 30 mins away. We go with MGS who only do Val Cenis and offer a great service.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs A and I are back at half term too. We're probably going to stay in St Jean de Maurienne and skoot about between resorts - the same as earlier this year:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912

Not sure we'll get up the valley as far as Val Cenis but, if we do, I'll look out for someone with a frozen nose!

Then we'll be back to Termignon at Easter for a spot of touring. Will almost certainly visit Val Cenis then.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Piehole, Sorry, terrible memory, and over excitement from anticipation. MGS ski in Lanslevillard do a weekly weather report on their website for Val Cenis, but I am not sure if they have started yet. Looks like it will all be good; I`ll be in Valloire for New Year with the family, and Val Cenis on the 19th Jan -hardly worth coming home inbetween. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a free bus that runs between bonneval and valfrejus, so loads of options and loads of skiing cheap!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val cenis 50cm base at bottom, 150 cm at top. Looking good
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Valloire has had sunny days so far this week, although overcast this arvo, and now snowing lightly. Lower slopes are hard packed but good coverage with lots of artificial snow. Upper slopes good at tops, but a bit icy in places lower down due to freeze thaw. It has been around -3C at top, 4C at bottom. Hopefully it will snow a bit more tonight; really needs a good dump to be perfect
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will try to post some Val Cenis snow reports with pictures this week; it`s going to be snowy and overcast until mid week, but I will let you know each day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Cenis; good amount of snow at valley floor, nice and squeaky. Temperature hovering around zero. Very windy in valley last night. Light snow forecast today and tomorrow with grey skies; good tree skiing weather. La Grande Odyssee dog sled race on til the 23rd.
snow conditions
Good snow today, some first tracks, weather much better than predicted; mostly sunny. Some hard pack lower down, and strong winds coming off the Italian side, shutting Ramasse lift.
ski holidays
Today is low cloud to resort level, dropping temp to -2/-4, light dusting of snow, just heading out, yellow goggles on !
snow report
Yesterday turned out a mixture, of cloud, sunshine, and snow, showing the Haute Maurienne at its best. The pistes were in great condition everywhere, except near the col Mont Cenis, which the wind had swept and made icy. Today sees a further slight drop in temp, cloudy this morning, sun breaking through. There has been 3cm snow overnight to freshen pistes.
ski holidays
cstreat- Much appreciated reports, glad the visibility is improving, is night skiing available this year, and is there a chance you can find out if it's still open 1st week in April?? Thanks Smile
snow conditions
Bartezki, Our contacts tel us that night Skiing is on Thursdays this year. cstreat, thanks for the updates. counting down the days to half term and sitting looking at a snowscape out of the office window here in Macclesfield is making things worse. Have a good day.
latest report
Yesterday was sun, sun, sun. The slopes were busier as a result, but snow quality on piste was excellent in the morning. We went to Termingnon, until lunch, and then I had my first lesson since I began skiing; it`s hard to teach an old dog new tricks. All due to weak muscles on the left side, and over developed ones on the right from 25 years of manual labour ! Snow remained good on upper slopes in the afternoon, but got skied out lower down in the trees on the busier runs. Forecast today overcast and light snow, so hopefully no crowds ( when I say crowds, I have not had to queue anywhere this week) Had`nt thought of night skiing, as staying between villages at MGM, and too knackered after ski and gym at spa. Will ask today. frozennose, Thanks, thinking of you there !!
snow conditions
Another great sunny day today, spent between pistes at the upper end of the valley under the plan Cardinal lift, and the Met lift at the top. The lanslevillard forest slopes have a lot of artefical snow on them which makes them a bit unpleasant, but all of Termingnon has been great snow all week, probably because it has much less traffic on it. This evening it is snowing again, setting up a great end to the week with a sunny cold day tomorrow. Sorry, but I have been far too tired at the end of the day to even think about night skiing. At lunch all slopes are deserted.
ski holidays
Maurienne valley magic today - not Val Cenis but not a million miles away... barely a soul off piste, and this:

Happy team!

snow conditions
More Maurienne magic today:

snow report
offpisteskiing, Just got back late Saturday from our regular half term in Val Cenis. Our experience was the same as yours - blissfully quiet slopes and untracked powder to be found days after the last fall. Some friends who were vsisting for the first time couldn't believe how quite it was over half term compared to their experience last year in Morzine of 15-30 minute lift queues. The most we had all week was 5 minutes I think and that was only the gondola at lunchtime. Conditions look well set for teh rest of the season and seriously looking at an easter trip. Shouldn't eulogise too much though otherwise the masses will make this just like the usual suspects and we'll have to find another hidden gem!
snow conditions
Here's a separate trip report from last week in the Maurienne:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98466
snow report
Two more good days in the Haute Maurienne. Good powder yesterday despite a strong wind at altitude:

Today we headed for a run that I had to turn back from last year on account of hot temperatures. Today was perfect!
A short skin from the top of the lift system, and a fly past from a Lammergeier (always too quick for the camera!) and we dropped in to this:

With nearly 1700m of vertical descent, in good conditions that means a lot of powder turns!

Much lower down we avoided the start of a rubble filled gully with some quality combat skiing on spring snow:

But eventually dropped back into this:

The exit was actually not as bad as it looked, with smooth snow on the right bank of the gully. A moment of perfect timing saw us walk up to the bus stop as the last bus for 3 hours pulled in, and we went back up into the Aussois lift system for some more turns...

For a bit more info on location, http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com may provide enlightenment...
snow report
Another top day in the Maurienne - a foehn system was clagging up the higher peaks & lifts, but had also put down up to 40cm of fluffy snow!!

Plan A was shelved due to weather, as were plans B, C, D and E. We moved on to Plan F.

Plan F turned out to be skiing 500m vertical laps of 35-45 degree thigh deep powder.

I like Plan F!

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wondered if it is snowing in the Maurienne in particular in Val Cenis now? Snow forecast says rain at village level but I'm hoping this is wrong and that it is snowing snowHead snowHead
latest report
snowymum,
A few years ago we were sking Val Cenis Easter Saturday and although it looked a bit clagged in the skiing was great I have never had so much on piste powder to ourselves for so many hours ever.
It said it was raining in the village then as well. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy