Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Up till now I have put my reports about the Kitzsteinhorn in the general Austria Snow Report 12/13 thread. But now that the winter is starting properly, I thought it might be more useful to have a resort specific thread for this area.

And today the lifts in Zell am See opened. Things didn't seem too promising when I arrived at the TrassXpress lift, with apparently more people coming down than going up and one skier commmenting "Schlechte Sicht oben ... bad visibility up the top". He couldn't have been more wrong! By the time I had had two runs the sun came out and it was beautiful. As well as the access gondola, the Breiteck, Kapelle and Ketting lifts were running at the top of the Schmittenhöhe. Apart from a few school classes, the slopes were pretty quiet. I did hear some Brits (who were finding the Schmitten more congenial than the wild weather on the Kitzsteinhorn). Here's a view to the bottom station of the Breiteck lift...

The snow was good, though mainly without any great depth yet. Skiing away from the piste would quickly scrape down to grass in many places. The most challenging piste, with some deeper snow but pretty chopped up, was at the Ketting lift, shown in the photo below...

The sun didn't stay out too long. After lunch (in the Ketting Alm) it snowed lightly for a good part of the afternoon but at the end of the afternoon it cleared again, allowing me to look down to the lake at Zell. Magic.

All in all, it was a great day's skiing. And I must have had value from my lift ticket - skiline claims I travelled 24556 km on lifts Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-12-12 22:28; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice pics.

Might be good to put snow or weather report in thread title though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Esprit that is great news ..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely, espri, coming to Kaprun on 22 Dec so would REALLY
appreciate any updates! Thanks very much!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I coming down on Sunday morning for 3 days. Living in Vienna past 5 years and started snowboarding 2 seasons ago. Looking forward to the start of the season. This is my second vacation in Kaprun. Last time was fantastic snow so i hope this time i wont be disappointed.

Good luck all. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tractionmanuk,

Welcome to Snowheads. Bit nippy here in Vienna this morning though in'it? (-5 deg C)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2nd weekend trip of the season: Was in Scheffau on Thu 6th and Kitzsteinhorn Fri and Sat. Cold enough for snow to last but also cold enough to feel it. Great snow. Not a lot of people. Fresh mid-shin powder slightly off piste on a lot of runs, though no great depths so had to be careful esp as on newish 165cm slaloms, cut-up powder on some pistes. Vis was on and off Thu and Fri but excellent on Sat (predicted all day snow and cloud didn't arrive till after lifts closed Toofy Grin ).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB,

Thanks for the welcome. It was a bit cold but i was dressed for it so it was not a problem.

Are you English or is that a silly assumption to make on this forum? snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tractionmanuk,
Yes I'm a Brit and we are not all English but mainly (someone even let a Dutchman in). Benn living in Vienna for over 12 years now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well i am just relaxing after a really epic day on the Kitzsteinhorn. The sun shone for most of the day and the snow was not in bad condition also. Considering it was my first session of the season and that i am a long way from being a seasoned pro, i am very happy with the progress i made today.
The resort was quiet which is as i expected and another reason for coming this week before Christmas. I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for a ride up the slopes at any of the lifts, and the ride down was also really nice with room enough not to worry about anyone cutting you up or visa versa.
I think today was probably my most enjoyable day on the snow since starting snowboarding 2.5 yrs ago. I only recall falling over twice all day and i really thought about what i was doing regarding technique and improved a lot which has also boosted my confidence. I am no pensioner don't get me wrong, but i am 45 with a fair bit of metal work in my foot and ankle so cant be too adventurous. Having said that i am also looking forward to trying the snowboard with my kites this winter as i am also a kitesurfer when the the lakes here in Austria are not frozen. Kitzsteinhorn incidentally is not the place for snowkiting.
I will try and post some pictures when i arrive back in Vienna this week as for now i have no way of getting them onto my laptop.

This is my first report on this site so go easy on me Blush

Mark
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

we are not all English but mainly (someone even let a Dutchman in)

other foreigners too - some of us are Scottish or even Welsh. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds good, tractionmanuk - though being a pensioner is best for skiing: you can do it when you fancy Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tractionmanuk, Thank you for the update, and welcome!
Don't suppose you know how the snow was in Kaprun and Zell?
Me and better half arriving next Sat, for her first ever trip, and
would really like good snow lower down for her first ever slides
on skis! Would really appreciate your updates. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm in Zell am see from the 22nd so will keep my eyes on this and other sites.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi folks
Just back from Kaprun tonight - skied Maiskogel, Kitzsteinhorn
and Zell am See in the last week. Pretty quiet - no queues!
LOTS of powder on the glacier yesterday, but couldn't see a thing
Very heavy snow at Zell on Wednesday - really hard work!
Maiskogel beautiful on Thursday - blue skies, smooth slopes, a bit of chopped
up ice, but good fun!
Will post pics when I work out how to do it - maybe tomorrow when I have some energy back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy