Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar Baggage Changes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our good friends at Eurostar have "moved the goal-posts" regarding baggage from Monday Last.

The MAXIMUM size of any baggage is now not to exceed 89cm in any direction.

This only applies to the domestic services and NOT to the "direct Ski-Trains" (where they have a dedicated carriage for equipment).

If baggage does exceed the limits, then staff are apparantly been told that it must be refused and items to be sent by the Registered Baggage service.

So be forewarned, especially if you have tight connections if transferring in Paris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey, I really hope that this is not the case!!!!

This is what their website says at the moment:

Sports equipment
Skis and ski equipment can travel on board as part of your individual baggage allowance . However all other sports equipment (including golf clubs and surf boards) can only travel on board as long as it’s less than 85cm at its longest length. Don’t worry though, if this isn't the case, you can always use our convenient registered baggage service to make sure it reaches your destination safe and sound.

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/baggage.jsp#sports
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chaps,

I've taken ordinary Eurostar's to/from Paris, on the way to ski resorts by train, many many times.

I've also investigated (for my site, www.snowcarbon.co.uk) the truth about luggage, and written a section about the fact Eurostar's information does seem to be incorrect on its own site.

http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/luggage-trains-ski-resorts

As far as I am aware, 85/89cm limit does not count for skis.

But I will be travelling, via Paris, to Verbier with a huge snowboard next week, and clarifying this with Eurostar too. I'll report back,

Daniel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the good old days of the overnight sleeper Snowtrain, everyone used the baggage compartment in coach 9, which was usually crammed full of skis and boards. On subsequent non-Snowtrain Eurostar ski trips I've been amazed that it's usually been empty and the train conductor or platform staff will get it opened. It might be worth checking if this is still available and if the restrictions only apply within the passenger coach areas. As long as you remind the train conductor close to your destination that you've got gear in the baggage compartment then it should get opened up upon arrival.

Or are they just doing a Ryan Air/EasyJet job and trying to screw every last extra pound they can get out of you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is the latest from Rail Europe regarding Eurostar

Sports equipment:
New Allowance: All sports equipment over 85cm at its longest length has to travel as registered baggage.

Exception: Skis and snowboards can still be carried on Eurostar services as part of the luggage allowance. This applies to the Eurostar Ski-Train only, not "inter-capitals. So if you are changing in Paris for onward travel to the snow, then you WILL be affected.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What does "registered baggage" mean? Do you pay extra for it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eurostar's own information conflicts:

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/baggage.jsp#sports

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/destinations/direct_services/ski_train/before_you_travel_alps.jsp

Just print out the first one and, if anyone complains, say you based your purchase on this information.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, registered baggage:

http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/baggage.jsp#registered_bagage

Probably £18 and only available between capitals.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blinder, how about a link for this info? rolling eyes

rob@rar, we used registered luggage last year - I presume it is the same. We checked the luggage in at Paris, spent the day in Paris and then collected it from London on arrival. Quite expensive.
Quote:

Registered baggage with EuroDespatch

If you're travelling with extra, oversized or restricted luggage, you'll need to use our registered baggage service, EuroDespatch. We'll put your bags in a designated part of the train, so you'll know it's well taken care of and it won't take up space in your carriage.

Or, if you fancy travelling completely luggage-free (movie star style) and relaxing on your journey without lifting a finger, EuroDespatch is the perfect solution for you.

EuroDespatch is only available on our routes between London and Paris and London and Brussels.

We'll send your baggage on the next available train, as long as there's space. No matter what, we guarantee that your baggage will be ready to collect at your Eurostar destination station within 24 hours of registering it.

You can even send your baggage ahead of you before you travel, so you can collect it when you arrive at your destination. You can even register your baggage on the day you travel – just remember to leave 30 minutes to check in before your train departs.

Quote:
Items accepted as registered baggage

Luggage, suitcases, bags, etc (maximum weight 30kg each) £18

Sporting and collectors’ weapons £30

Bicycles £25

Large, unwieldy items (e.g. large musical instruments) £30

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
traveled back from Paris on the ordinary euro* yesterday with a large double ski bag (190cm) filled to bursting with skis and kit. I was asked what was in the bag and responded with skis and kit. I was waved happily through. 3 other snowHeads were traveling with me and none were prevented from taking their skis onboard.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eurostar Q&A....

'Can I take my skis on board?
On our ski services, you are entitled to one extra piece of luggage on board, which you can use for your skis.

On our non-ski services, skis and ski equipment are permitted on board, but count as one item of your individual baggage allowance
'

Baggage allowance 2 bags + 1 hand baggage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I travelled to France on Eurostar with skis on 15dec and returned on 22dec. no problems or questions asked even.

it was good to find this thread before travelling after receiving an email from eurostar about the new policy (apparently 'new and improved baggage allowance') just 3! days before travelling - which sent me into a bit of a panic! as it seemed to outlaw skis - but based on experience and the fine print of the policies this doesn't seem to be so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy