Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
2 people got hit by an avalanche in Tignes today. http://alpes.france3.fr/2012/12/05/deux-personnes-retirees-d-une-avalanche-tignes-savoie-158781.html

I know it is tempting to enjoy all this powder but it has snowed a LOT and you really have to be careful...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've heard conflicting reports, one said there had been one killed another that following a 40 min burial the victim was revived.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to this report the skier survived the 40 mins under the snow (miracle!) and was waiting to be taken to Grenoble hospital. They were staying at the UPCA and wanted to train as ski instructors this season.

This just highlights how careful you need to be even near the piste and also always wear the right equipment. It is a miracle they were found alive... Not sure if there is one more skier unaccounted for that got buried but wasn't found... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was within a few metres of an avalanche near the top of the Grattalu lift on Saturday. The avalanche risk was 4/5 following a 30cm snowfall over 24 hours onto warm grass, so we were keeping to the low gradient slopes. As we set off on our powder runs, a few metres away a young French guy dropped in to a steeper spot, resulting in a 30cm deep, 4m wide slab avalanche. When I chatted to him at the bottom, he seemed oblivious to the level of risk that he had been in, and the fact that he had been very lucky to come out without injury, or worse. The rest of his party followed him down through the debris, falling over in the process, obviously never having skied through avalanche debris.

As has been said, be careful, and please don't go offpiste unless you know how to interpret the risk.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a duplicate of SPUDs already posted
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic, We posted it at the same time - sorry...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic,
But this one's in "Off Piste," and therefore far more interesting and relevant (popcorn alert)... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the article linked there is a large black helmeted skier in bright yellow pants that looks from behind suspiciously like Dadmin. Anyone heard from the Pre Season Bash people?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, yep, we checked, all clear - see the other thread here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94247&highlight=
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just had a read, and it does appear there's no accounting for stupidity:

"Les victimes n'étant pas équipées de DVA (détecteur de victimes d'avalanche), "

and

"La présence de ces skieurs sur un secteur hors pistes est relativement étonnante, alors que le risque d'avalanche était de 4 sur 5. Ces dernières 48 heures, il est tombé 1 m de neige sur les hauteurs de Tignes."

I'm not a tremendous OP skier, but if there's lots of snow I even take an ARVA on piste, and wouldn't dream of such behaviour in those conditions; it would be like setting sail into a gale.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy