Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Pennines 2012/13 - Allenheads, Harwood, Weardale and Yad Moss

Poster: A snowHead
Yad Moss Touring Report - Sat 9th Feb 2013:
- Skinned up before the lift opened.
- Slight covering of fresh.
- Snow thin in parts but nice and soft.
- Weather mild (slight drizzle).
- Hazy/slight fog but no wind.
- Good fun Very Happy .

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report
Yad Moss operational again today. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Yad Moss operational again today
Looking good on today's webcams Peter S! The fresh snow overnight is to be welcomed Smile.... Four of us skinned up yesterday, Sun 10th Feb, in sketchy conditions. The wind was gale force - but at least was blowing down the slope - and the surface was pockets of windblown fresh snow over frozen-solid ruts and ice balls. Still nice to be sliding about though and we enjoyed the trip out Very Happy. From the County Durham side, the roads were snow covered after Langdon Beck, with some drifting. An interesting drive in parts....

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tomorrow looks good for Yad Moss though the report says that conditions are unsuitable for begginers.

More snow on Wednesday though turning milder in the evening. Thrusday Friday and Saturday are looking possible if the wind behaves itself snowHead

Over at Raise its skiing day 32 tomorrow and we are still only half way through winter Little Angel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
from the yad Moss website tonight:

Wednesday 13th February

Fresh snow has fallen today but the forecast for tonight is a rise in temperature and a spell of rain. It is possible that we may open on Thursday but owing to the expected change in conditions overnight we will only be able to make a decision after viewing the webcam pictures in the morning. An updated report will be given before 8 a.m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yad Moss closed tomorrow (Sat 16th Feb) following a thaw Sad but - with any luck - there could be enough left in the morning to skin up.... Smile

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, still plenty on the cheviot if you fancy skinning
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sledger Just saw your post - car loaded & set for Yad Moss....

We've hiked/biked around Cheviot - but not for a few years now - hadn't occurred to us to go touring there! May go tomorrow if snow holds out....

Got the OS Map - so what route would you suggest? (We're not after anything too epic!)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, enjoy yad moss! I may have a look up tomorrow, I normally park at langleeford and take the normal route over scald hill and then up towards the cheviot sometimes skinning around the back (north east shoulder) which is an easier/better gradient for skinning if there is snow in the right places than the direct route. I have been up for the last couple of weekends and have tried a run NNE from the cheviot which was good and had a fair amount of snow. The broad gulley down the south 'face' holds the snow very well and last weekend I could ski from the summit to the harthope Burn at about 450m above sea level. From here I went up Hedgehope as well last saturday and had a good ski down the NW aspect on the way back but I suspect there won't be enough left tomorrow to do this.

Let me know if you need any more info
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sledger: Thanks for that (very detailed) response!Much obliged!
Quote:

Enjoy Yad Moss! I may have a look up tomorrow.
We did! Lovely soft snow and (when skiing down it) cover felt a lot more extensive than it looked on the webcam. Based on today's cover (ie in parts, still very deep against the fences), I'd say it will probably be still okay for a meaningful slide tomorrow.

We got skis on at the bottom and had only a couple of short grassy breaks on the ascent. Combat skiing for the last bit back to the car but a good time had by all Very Happy. Here are some pics:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looks good-in that grassy/snowy pennine skiing type of way!

will try and put some pics up here if I go up the cheviot tomorrow
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, fingers crossed that base hangs around, chance of some colder weather next week....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski We were up at Yad Moss again again today - fantastic bluebird weather, though early doors the snow had frozen overnight into boilerplate. It softened up nicely later though.

In places near the fences, the base is still a couple of feet deep, so it may hold out for a while yet. It's really thin and narrow towards the bottom of the main run (see pic below)- but we still managed to make it back down to the roadside with skis on. On the way home, we finished the day off with a lovely sunset bike ride on the moors above Hamsterly Forest. Legs a bit heavy but a great day out and beer tasted all the sweeter after it....Very Happy

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome. Especially the last skiing pic.

Way to get after it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, good work, I'll have to do that myself sometime. Do you put the skins on at home so your ready to go...............
ski holidays
Quote:
Do you put the skins on at home so your ready to go......
Yes, usually - as it saves faffing in the wind once you get there. It also saves faffing if you remember your ski poles - we were 30 miles from home yesterday when I remembered that we hadn't packed them Mad - what with loading bikes and bike clobber as well....Embarassed. Still, at least the snow was a bit softer by the time we finally got there!

Anyway, still a good cover of snow on today's Yad Moss upper cam - and with frost tonight and the weather set to cool down I'm just beginning to think it may well hold out for another skin and slide this weekend Smile . That would make 9 days in the Pennines for Mrs MA and me this winter (2 at Weardale and 7 at Yad Moss) - and equal our personal best!

I've just compared tonight's upper slopes webcam shot to 3 days ago - and, surprisingly after the sun and mild temperatures of the weekend, there hasn't been much snow loss at all. Looks like tomorrow could be critical in determining whether Saturday is a goer - temperature on the hill will be up to 5C tomorrow then between 1C and minus 4C for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
Mountainaddict,

I think the snow is staying because the humidity is so low.

Today it dropped to below 20% Shocked thats Las Vegas DRY. see here;

http://www.howhill.com/weather/day.php

Just need a tiny bit more (or a snow cannon) and we can fire the tow back up snowHead

BTW spotted you skining up the other day on the webcam !
latest report
Even I've been thinking a snow cannon might be a good idea!
snow report
Quote:

I love your determination in this one and speed!
latest report
Quote:
I love your determination in this one and speed!
It's Mrs MA not me! I told her to make it a good 'un for the photo! That right turn was followed by a swift left - then it opened out onto a wider section of 'piste'(!). The photo above was cropped for effect - I'll post the wider angle original tonight if I get the chance....

Edit - Here's the original photo:

Incidentally, on the previous day (ie last Saturday), so that we could have an unbroken top to bottom run, we'd moved some snow to build a 3 or 4 feet bridge between the snow patches on the photo Toofy Grin . The link (just) lasted into the Sunday afternoon - the remnants are visible connecting the patches in line with the end of the snow fence.

Peter S: Thanks for the climate update - looks like we could be good to go for the weekend skinning eh wink?

Quote:
BTW spotted you skining up the other day on the webcam !
Was that view shown on the website? If so, I missed it. Or are you the man in charge of the cam who sits in front of it 24/7 for surveillance and security purposes Laughing ?
ski holidays
Yad Moss Update: Tuesday 19th Feb - There is a possibility that we may be able to repair the lower broken parts of the main run tomorrow (Wednesday) with the aid of the piste groomer to give some limited skiing on the existing hard and frozen old snow. We hope to run the tow from lunchtime onwards. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
The piste basher snow bucket being pressed into action?
snow report
Quote:
That right turn was followed by a swift left
. Too say the least!. I am in awe of your enthusiasm for making the piste possible yourselves, you guys really do earn your turns.
latest report
From the website Wednesday 20th February pm

A days work by the piste groomer has produced an excellent narrow run of granular spring snow. At present the last 100metres to the base station is via icy narrow drifts which require care to negotiate. The tow track has been reinstated with the aid of wheelbarrow and shovel and is narrow as far as pylon 2.

The cold mainly dry but dull weather is forecast to continue over the weekend.

The tow will operate on Saturday 23rd Feb from 10 30am. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Note that the exceptionally narrow lower tow track is negotiable by experienced skiers but totally unsuitable for beginners.
ski holidays
Quote:
I am in awe of your enthusiasm for making the piste possible yourselves, you guys really do earn your turns
Cheers One glove! Mrs MA & I are regarded by non-mountain-type workmates as a bit mental - but we think it's the other way round! (It's them, not us, who like to spend weekends visiting garden centres, DIY stores...or cleaning the car!)

For us, it's an hour and a bit's drive to ski a Pennines strip of snow every time Very Happy!! (Or previously, a 300 mile drive (each way) one August to hike for an hour and ski a 100m long snow patch in the Highlands.... wink. It was great!)
snow report
Mountainaddict,

Your sound exactly the sort of enthusiatic person we need more of, to help us out at Yad Moss snowHead

BTW Cross fell looks to have good cover on the YM webcam. Touring should be good up there and you can drive up to 2,500'

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report

May try and get up to YM on Sunday if at all possible. Potnetial dusting of new snow over the weekend. Currently only 30% humidity over the North Pennines which is freeze drying everything nicely. Laughing
ski holidays
Heavy snow showers now moving into NE England. hopefully they'll extend as far west as yad Moss and help the skiing there today snowHead

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
snow conditions
One main run complete but good skiing today snowHead

Day tickets available tomorrow £15.
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only one main run properly complete today at Yad Moss but it was skiing really nicely thanks to tye big effort above moving some snow mid week. Very fast and a nice grippy surface. The sun came out in the afternoon and with only about 30 people skiing there was no queue and lots and lots of laps available between 10am and 4pm snowHead snowHead

Pics here

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3342
snow conditions
it,s England it not as we know it, your post help me. Explain to my east end mates that there's a proper life out there to be lived and we convinced the convoy starts tomorrow, see on the .piste, ps we bring shovels
latest report
One Glove, i may be able to help you there. Weardale was far busier 150 skiers including one family that travelled up for the DAY from....Essex Shocked

http://www.facebook.com/groups/49959985138/
snow conditions
Quote:
Weardale was far busier, 150 skiers
Shocked Mrs MA & I were skiing at Weardale from about 12.15 yesterday and would've said there were about 20 slope users max! The car parking wasn't busy at all when we arrived at about 11.45; we were straight onto the lifts every time; and there was barely anyone in sight on the runs. About 6 people there by 4.15 pm finish time. The daylodge was practically deserted on our two visits too.

The top runs and gullies were excellent - especially the steeper pitches, which (in our experience) don't tend to hold the snow too well but were lovely, grippy hardpack. Lower runs were a bit grassy in true Pennines style, except adjacent to the bottom tow snow fence which had better cover. I'll post a few pics tonight.... Very Happy

Quote:
mountainaddict You sound exactly the sort of enthusiatic person we need more of, to help us out at Yad Moss
Mrs MA and I are Weardale members...so might have to start helping out there first Embarassed!!

One glove Do keep us posted on your travel and ski plans! Yad Moss and Weardale both have bulletproof bases near the snow fences at the moment - so hopefully may last through the milder weather that's forecast.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, that was taken from the ski report email. Must admit did find it strange the Yad would be quiet and Weardale so busy. From forum posts on winterhighland - if true - Weardale was nearly as busy as Nevis Range!!! Looking forward to the photos, not sure if I'm going to make any Pennine skiing this year but atleast I have a good excuse.
snow report
oldagedpredator: A few Weardale photos, as promised. Spot the other 148 skiers!

Some pretty decent skiing on the upper runs and in the gullies:

Lower slopes OK near the snow fence:

...But a little bit thinner elsewhere wink:

snow report
Must admit I was surprised they said 150. I wonder if they meant 15 ?

A good day anyway. Looks as though Weardale may have picked up a few more showers than YM though presumeably the top runs are on the old pisted base ?

For information, anyone who isn't familar with Pennine skiing, you'd be surprised how skiable frozen snowy grass is and totally harmless to ski bases snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, it would've been a lot nearer 15 than 150!

Anyway, we're monitoring the Pennine cams from slightly further afield at the moment....en route
to a Perth overnighter for a cheeky midweek dart to Nevis Range & Glencoe. Back to work on Friday
.....Pennines on Sat??
snow report
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/Feb_27_13.JPG

Pennine Corduroy this morning snowHead
latest report
Peter S, looks a bit steep Wink
snow report
tiffin As ever, runs come out on photos looking flatter than they really are. Yad Moss' main run is a very decent 600 m long with a vertical drop of 125m. Better than a snowdome - but not as steep as Berks obviously wink ......
ski holidays
The website says that Yad Moss is open today Very Happy ! (Day visitors welcome.)

Vindicated in our decision not to go up to Scotland Smile (as the forecast was a bit windy - and sure enough, Cairngorm and Nevis are stormbound.....) - so we will be skiing after all wink.

I'm just amazed that I've beaten Peter S to posting this message Toofy Grin!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy