Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Affordable helmet cam. Any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
am wanting to buy someone a helmet cam for Christmas. I know GoPro are the market leaders but are well beyond my budget. Has anyone used a cheaper helmet cam with good results?

(There don't seem to be any recent threads on this topic and as new stuff appears on the market all the time I thought that I'd start a new thread.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sequoiaboard, Check out Ebay. There's several mid-priced to look at. You really need to know what specification you want for your money, there's Gaoki (which is a debadged Delkin Wingman), Ion Air Pro (check out Sport Pursuit as they have them on a deal now), Contour Roam, and infact a real Delkin Wingman on auction. They are possibly the league or two below GoPro, then there are some quite dodgy looking cheapo chinese thingies........ Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use one like this on my motorbike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oregon-Scientific-Bullet-Action-Camera-ATC-2K-/290814640941?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item43b5e7432d

I think you need to tell the board what your budget is, or what quality you are after
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With the new gopro just out you should be able to pick up an older version, either the original or hero 2, relatively cheaply from ebay etc. I 'd check that first since the quality from gopros is pretty good...also enter their daily give away competition, you may have the same odds as winning the lottery but it's free and you never know. How far out of budget would a new gopro be since the majority of cameras i've had a look at aren't significantly cheaper although something like the contour camera you can get for around £130.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends what your version of cheap is, the old GoPro 2 are on amazon for about £215
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, thanks for the replies so far.the boss says the budget is £120 ish.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well that will get you a 2nd hand gopro hd1 for starters and lots' of other options.

Is it going to be used just for the odd skiing holiday, or would you use it for other things, scuba, snorkelling, mtb etc etc?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mainly skiing but possibly surfing as well.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smartphone + helmet + liberal amounts of carefully applied gaffer tape (for surfing - add plastic bag prior to gaffer tape).

Job's a good 'un.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
I've bought an iON Air Pro

Waterproof, shockproof, HD

But no idea if it's any good yet, it is due to be delivered tomorrow...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here you go, well affordable

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Swann_MDV-450_ActionCam_Mini_Video_Camer_924451.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's an Ion 'Air Pro Plus' on sports Pursuit atm, £249 down to £175. No idea how good they are, mind.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sequoiaboard, I use this one http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bullet-hd-camera-WIDE.html and it does everything i want and at 720p. would also fit with surfing as it is also waterproof by using a different end cap which is also supplied - all for under a ton.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmm, My HD3 Blacks turned up today.... time to play..... Now what to do with the HD1's?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, strap one to every available surface and merge all the results into a video you can watch over 360 using the Oculus Rift. Wink
snow conditions
meh wrote:
ansta1, strap one to every available surface and merge all the results into a video you can watch over 360 using the Oculus Rift. Wink

Good idea, but I'd probably need a lot more welly than my current setup offers. I know, I could rig about 10 cams up live to Rift and view the picture through the headset in near live as I ski down the slopes.... wow that would be so cool. It would be like actually being there but not being there but being there. That's going to blow the mind.

I wonder how much power it will need.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-12-12 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bike uk (Bristol branch) have a gopro1 for £99. It's naked so you might need to buy a case or mount, but that seems like a good deal. Maybe worth a call?
ski holidays
That's not a bad deal, the naked comes with waterproof case, cables and a quick release mount (but no arms or mounting plates). In terms of how the HD1, HD2 stack up against the new models, putting it very very simply.

HD1 - Hero 3 White
HD2 - Hero 3 Silver
HD2 with balls and red bull - Hero 3 Black

Obviously the Hero 3's have some benefits in terms of form factor but most of the folks I talk to are saying unless you need a specific feature of the Hero3 Silver or White or the form factor then stick with the Hero1 or 2. Unless of course you've gone for the Black..
ski holidays
Contour Roam Mk1 is available on Amazon for £120, down from £199
snow report
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/gopro-hd-hero2-outdoor-camera-a8410025

£220 hero2...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-12-12 14:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
harrim51, he says budget is 120, so you link to a camera at 220 rolling eyes
ski holidays
anyone have any experience of this one:

http://sport-cam.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=MiniHD2&cat=148

greg
latest report
No, but having just taken a look at the manual which looks a little home made i'd be a bit careful. I'd like to see some video before casting any negative thoughts on quality and it's possible that this would suffice for a lot of peoples needs, but the problem with spending even £79 on this (or anything else that is cheap) is if it doesn't do what you need then whether £10 or £1000 it's still money wasted.
latest report
Thanks for everyone's input and replies. Probably going to go for the Contour Roam (unless anyone here has used one and thinks that they are cr4p)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not tried a roam but my contour HD is a great little camera, decent footage, you don't look like a telletubbie and dead simple to use plus (on mine at least) the batteries are a nokia phone battery so spares cost a couple of quid on ebay.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy