Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - advice on transfers, hotels and non skiing activites please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are returning to Wengen in February for the first time since we learned to ski there in 1988, this time taking a mixed group including teenagers who can ski most things plus a 60 year old novice, none of whom have visited Switzerland before. Flying into Zurich. Is the Swiss Transfer Ticket the best option for the journey (one of the children is under 16 and it seems as though she would travel for free, although the other is 16 and therefore counts as an adult). It seems that the marginally quickest route is via Bern, but I have heard that the route via Luzern is more scenic, although a few minutes longer. Does anyone know whether we can take the route via Luzern using the Swiss Transfer Ticket, or do we have to take the route via Bern?

Also we are considering staying at the Victoria Lauberhorn - any recent experiences of staying here? I seem to think it is close to the train station. Any other recommendations for a hotel in Wengen with an indoor swimming pool - have looked at the Beausite Park but think it will come in above budget, although the nursery slopes in front of it could be good for our 60 year old novice skier - also does anyone know if you can ski down to a main lift (cable car?) directly from the hotel.

Finally, is it worth doing the trip up the Jungfrau to the ice grotto, or the trip over to Murren to the Piz Gloria etc - in case our novice skierhe may not want to ski all day every day so am looking for suggestions for alternative activities for him, all suggestions welcomed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go via Berne. Luzern is a nice option in summer but can be prone to delays in winter.

Victoria Lauberhorn is fine, just across the road from the Mannlichen cable car - no need to put skis on, it's 20 metres. Sunstar is better but more expensive, ditto the Silberhorn. Both have pool or spa stuff.

Jungfraujoch is a good trip, but pointless unless the weather is sunny in which case you'll want to ski! Schilthorn a bit of a hike, but same applies re the weather.

If you have kids the Transfer ticket is the way to go from the airport.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with telford_mike, in the winter Berne is the route to go, the route Via Lucern is indeed very pretty but really the best time to do it is the summer, however the Transfer Ticket would let you go either way

Almost all the hotels in Wengen are only a short distance from the Train station, none more than a 10 minute gentle walk, however the Park is a bit further away as it's across the Nursery Slopes, the Sunstar and Victoria Lauberhorn both have pools and are on the high street side of the Nursery Slopes, either is only a few hundred meters from the railway station and from either you can walk out the front door go past the shops on the other side of the high street and be at the Cablecar Station/Nursery Slopes in 30 seconds

On a clear day it's certainly worth going up to Either Jungfraujoch or Piz Gloria, but just not worth it in bad weather as all you will see is white wink

You can ski back to the Nursery Slopes/Village from higher up via a fairly easy blue run, the only other ways are off piste so I won't mention them.

In rotten weather you can always take the train down and go to Interlaken and look at the shops, Cafe Schu (sp?) is very nice you can go there and have tea and cakes, also on the other side of the road to Schu is (I think the Metropole Hotel) which has a very nice top floor restaurant with good views

Novice Skier can always take a sled run down, there are a number of routes all shown on the piste map, there is also winter walking and skating (ice rink next to nursery slopes)

Your over 16 year child will still be eligible for a reduced rate for their ski pass right up until they are 20, half price ski passes from 6 -16 and nearly give away passes for under 6's Oh and they also discount prices once you reach 62

Any more questions, feel free to ask snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gamekeeper,

I'm really sorry to hijack your post but I have a question on Wengen / Murren, telford_mike and D G Orf seem to know the area pretty well ...

My wife and I are staying at the Hotel Eiger in Murren over the Lauberhorn weekend (Wengen hotels booked out).

We are only planning to ski on 1 day, watch the Downhill on Saturday and, if the weather's sunny as mentioned above, go up to Jungfraujoch on Sunday.

Questions :

- if you only had 1 day to ski would you stay in Murren or hit Wengen? What type of lift pass do we need and how do we access the Wengen slopes from Murren?
- how do we get to Wengen for the DH on Saturday?
- do we need to buy train tickets, lift tickets etc in advance given that this particular weekend is likely to be extremely busy?

Thanks and sorry for jumping in!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, Buying the tickets in advance won't hurt but it's not required, you can pick them up from Lauterbrunnen or Murren stations no problemm may be easiest getting them at Murren where it will be far quieter

I think there may be a special weekend ski pass that weekend

Saturday get down to Lauterbrunnen Early (whatever time you arrive it will be busy) Grab the first train you can get on going up, take your skis and boots with you, get up to Wenegeneralp station and get off there, there's a public viewing area where you can see the skiers hit the Hundschopf jump and a giant screen tv so you can watch them on the rest of the course, it's a good spot to be in with plenty of atmosphere, when the race is over follow the crowds down the blue run to Wengen then watch the prize giving there before heading back to Murren.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Franga,
I went to Wengen for the Lauberhorn weekend 3 years ago,(and had been hoping to go again in 2013 but now need a new car instead!) here's my tips.
Lauterbrunnen will be busy, be prepared for up to an hour's queueing. The queue at Lauterbrunnen is well organised but splits into two, one for Wengernalp and Kleine Scheidegg and the other for Wengen only (for the 'Shuttle'). The Wengen queue is shorter as most want to go on up to Wengernalp. I went to Wengen, hopped up to Maennlichen on the Cable car then skiied across to Kleine Scheidegg (about an hour) then down to Wengernalp on the blue. Or you can just get off at Wengen and walk the 15 min walk to Innerwengen (finish area) (extra ticket required).
Wengernalp is a great experience, but can get very busy, and if not sunny will get very cold , lots of loos and bars though!
All the lifts - excluding Innerwengen and Wixi - are surprisingly quiet as are the runs away from the course. You can ski alongside most of the course to get different views of the action, but watch out for spectators on foot as they tend to wander all over the piste down from Wengernalp.
Trains are very busy going down to Wengen/Lauterbrunnen from Wengernalp, so if you are going back to Murren, try going up via KS, to Grindlewald and Zweilutschinen then to Lauterbrunnen. Sounds daft, but there can be queues at Wengen of over an hour after the downhill finishes.
Wengen is a party village after the race, so if that's not your scene (or you are over 25!) don't bother to hang around. Most spectators head home straight away and a new contingent of youngsters heads up to Wengen for the party!
If you are there on the Friday I would recommend the Super Combined, you get all the action of the DH plus the slalom without the crowds, I got to meet Bode Miller and Silvan Zurbriggen at the top of the Innerwengen lift before the Slalom.
As for Ski passes, you will need to get the full Jungfrau region pass to cover both Murren and Wengen. You don't say how many days you are there for, but with the 50% advance booking discount for 6 day passes here
http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass/ a 6 day pass is CHF157 which is cheaper than a 3 day pass CHF180!.
there are restrictions on using standard skipasses this year - check here
http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/offers/ticketing/Lauberhorn-Sportpass

There are special rates (extra) for skipass holders up to the Jungfraujoch (just the bit KS-'Joch), and Piz Gloria is included in the Jungfrau skipass , so it's worth getting a pass for all the days you are there as it covers all the transport, not just the lifts, and is normally still cheaper than getting a return rail /cable-car ticket. a Swiss Transfer Ticket covers all rail travel to and from the airport
I skiied in Murren on the Sunday and watched the slalom from the cafe at Winteregg, the slopes in Murren were deserted - as they were on the Friday for the Super Combined
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys - only there for 3 days (Thursday - Sunday).

Planning to ski either Murren or Wengen on Friday, we have Grandstand tix for the Downhill on Saturday - we might be able to ski on Sunday AM too before we head back to Zurich.

Sounds like getting over to Wengen 2 days in a row might be a bit of a pain - I presume Murren should keep us (wife and I / strong intermediates) happy for a day?

Can't wait - first trip of 4 planned next quarter ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing in MURREN will definitely keep you happy for a day, it is the prettiest village in the area In my opinion. The hotel Eiger is an excellent hotel, we have stayed there a few times.
You'll be able to ski directly back to the boot room at the end of the day. Just follow the red (5, palace run) and keep an eye out for the hotel to the left, you cut off the main piste there to ski back.
Be sure to go up to the pix Gloria as well during the day, they have the 50 year James Bond exhibition on this year. The run from the top of there is the black that was featured in the film on her majesty's secret service. We've skied it many times.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Sounds like getting over to Wengen 2 days in a row might be a bit of a pain - I presume Murren should keep us (wife and I / strong intermediates) happy for a day?

One can have a bash at the Inferno track if one gets bored, 215s not necessary
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic wrote:

215s not necessary

Pussy wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys for the information - looks like the decisions re Jungfraujoch and Piz Gloria will have to be made whilst we are there, depending on weather conditions. Interesting to hear that there are various toboganning runs available - do you hire the sledges in the village and take them up on the train/cable car, or hire them at the top?

Have been looking at the webcams and snow is looking good for this stage in the season - lets hope it continues!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gamekeeper, hire sledges in the village and take them up by train, pretty much all the hire shops will hire you a sledge

franga, take walking boots saturday if you are in the stands, get off at Wengen and follow the road (and several thousand spectators) to Inner Wengen - From Wengen Station, go towards coop and follow that road down hill under railway bridge, just above Baren Hotel road splits, bear left along the flater section of road and keep walking, you will eventually get to InnerWengen, if the weather is nice (Hope it will be) you get some nice views from that road

View of the grandstand

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy