Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Sking Apps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

Last season there were a couple people that had apps on their Iphones that gave them all sorts of info.

There are a few out there, can any of you recomment the best/latest app that you can get?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By info do you mean tracking capabilities or lesson/coaching info?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Ski Tracks (not free) for info such as runs done, distance travelled, gradient skied, average (and maximum) speed. You can take photos within the app and it shows where the photo was taken. You can link it to music but I've not done that. It produces a map showing where you have been etc

I am happy with it and would recommend it. No, I'm not on commission Happy

I haven't found a particularly noteworthy one for snow reports etc and although I have the Ski Club GB app installed, I tend to use their website for more detailed information on snow conditions and weather forecast
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do apps such as Ski Tracks have any effect on data usage whilst abroad? I've always wanted to use such an app, but am petrified to come home to £200 phone bill!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use ski tracks and it works using the gps. You can turn off your data roaming and it still works. You need wifi back at your room to see the map stuff, but all the info like KM's and max speed work without data roaming. Other apps do need data so unless you want a big bill, stick to ski track. Mine was free , so not sure which version JohnHSmith, is using?

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smagsmith, Ooooh ! I'd better check. I remember I looked at a couple and then decided on Ski Tracks. I thought it was a 69p (or so) app not a free one. Not sure how to check tbh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I see from the App Store that there is a Ski Tracks and a Ski Tracks Lite. I can't tell whether the one I have (Ski Tracks) wa free or not. Have a look at both.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smagsmith, Sweet, I'll download it now in that case snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joskin, most resorts have their own app giving weather/piste/general info - search on the name of the resort. Most of the French ones are done by Lumiplan Montagne (the people who do the big lightboard thingies in resort - Google them). I also have the Whistler one, which is pretty good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpinereplay looks decent. Not used it yet but has an option to upload clips as well. Will be trying this and ski tracks out in just over a month Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Salomon have released "PowFinder" not checked it out though but you'd expect it to be of a high standard.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb wrote:
By info do you mean tracking capabilities or lesson/coaching info?

Tracking etc not lessons I am past help...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Tracks is the BOMB
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Following are on Android Market place:

Ski & Snow Report
AlpineReplay
Slope Tracks
Ski Pursuit
SkiPrepper
Ski Buddy

- looks like only SkiPrepper you pay for with Ski & Snow Report being the most popular. Funnily 'PowFinder' doesn't seem to pop up although it's supposed to be there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually there's tons more of ski apps in Market place but only a few come up if you search for 'skitracks'
latest report
JohnHSmith wrote:
I use Ski Tracks (not free) for info such as runs done, distance travelled, gradient skied, average (and maximum) speed. You can take photos within the app and it shows where the photo was taken. You can link it to music but I've not done that. It produces a map showing where you have been etc

I am happy with it and would recommend it. No, I'm not on commission Happy

I haven't found a particularly noteworthy one for snow reports etc and although I have the Ski Club GB app installed, I tend to use their website for more detailed information on snow conditions and weather forecast

THis may be a stupid question but does the GPS rely on a Data connection or does it use Wi Fi.

Thanks
latest report
The GPS is neither. A phone with GPS capability, is positioning itself from signals sent from satellites.
So something like Endomondo records your position using GPS, using the signals to triangulate itself. Then later when you connect to a data network or or wifi in your hotel the app will download the map so you can see where you were. And also will upload your data to the app website so you can view it online.
latest report
I used AlpineReplay on my android last year and i found it to good if a tad heavy on battery usage. Very good for boring the pants off people by showing them the animation of you skiing each and every run of the holiday Smile
latest report
I use ski tracks lite

I can't get the full version as I've not updated my phone to IOS 5 (it is a company phone with emails on it)

However the lite version does everything I need.

a full charge will last you all day, and that includes listening to music on the slopes

can't rate it high enough
latest report
Phones mainly use A-GPS. Assisted GPS. When the phone tries to locate itself, it sends data through the phone network, saying it is trying to locate. In return it receives data, telling which satellites are likely to be passing overhead. Then it looks specifically for these satellites. This is done as GPS recievers in phones are poor, and this significatly decreases your time to get a fix. It's a good system, and works faster than just looking for a fix, but it does use data! Turn your phone onto airplane mode before using the apps, to avoid this (but you won't be able to make calls) or turn your data roaming off. It will take longer to get a fix, but it should hold onto it once its got it!

More nerdness here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
snow report
I used the ski tracks system on my i phone. I had to buy the app, but it wasn't expensive. It doesn't use data roaming once it knows where you are (I had the data roaming off anyway) and gives you more data than you could possibly ever want - slope gradients, ave speed, max speed, where you've been, links to music, links to phots, which lifts you've been on, distance covered.

On my old iphone 3s, it would eat the battery though. My missus and I ski first lift to last lift and it usually ran out of juice about 330 - 4 pm. I did try pausing it on the long lifts and re-setting it at the top, but it still ran out of battery life before the day was over. I've now got a new phone, so hopefully it'll last a bit longer, maybe even see the day out.
latest report
wadgebeast, there's a setting to stop the ski tracks app when the battery gets to 20% (configurable).
snow report
Sammy wrote:
Phones mainly use A-GPS. Assisted GPS. When the phone tries to locate itself, it sends data through the phone network, saying it is trying to locate. In return it receives data, telling which satellites are likely to be passing overhead. Then it looks specifically for these satellites. This is done as GPS recievers in phones are poor, and this significatly decreases your time to get a fix. It's a good system, and works faster than just looking for a fix, but it does use data! Turn your phone onto airplane mode before using the apps, to avoid this (but you won't be able to make calls) or turn your data roaming off. It will take longer to get a fix, but it should hold onto it once its got it!

More nerdness here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I was planning to use my new Mini ipad but I have the Wi Fi version, so I guess I am stumped for snow tracks, (looks great).

I will just have to download the Resort App no use on the mountain, but will give me local info.

Thanks

John
snow report
Dr John wrote:
wadgebeast, there's a setting to stop the ski tracks app when the battery gets to 20% (configurable).

I know, I can even set it as low as 10% but there wasn't enough juice to keep it going all day.

Let's see what the new phone can do. Missus is booking up the holiday today!
latest report
Ski Tracks. It's ace. Seems very accurate.
snow report
One question about skitracks. I have been testing it out here in the uk (tracking my commute to work), but I wonder... How does it decide the number of 'runs' you do?
snow report
Snowforecast
Resort apps are usually good

Not tried it in resort, but movescount by suunto is good for the bike. I have a GPS watch and the iPhone and used both to see if there was much difference, but the iphone seems to work ok.

Will checkout ski tracks.

Best to take agps speed with a pinch of salt though as I have recorded some ridiculous speeds, 120kph, which I am sure were just problems with the system.
snow conditions
Snowforecast
Resort apps are usually good

Not tried it in resort, but movescount by suunto is good for the bike. I have a GPS watch and the iPhone and used both to see if there was much difference, but the iphone seems to work ok.

Will checkout ski tracks.

Best to take agps speed with a pinch of salt though as I have recorded some ridiculous speeds, 120kph, which I am sure were just problems with the system.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jamescollings, I imagine it checks your height's, and depending on the complexity of the algorithm, works it out from that. That would be the most logical way of doing it imo.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy