Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Starting this off (going for Christmas week)

A few links:

Weather: w.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/service/Wetter/wetter_prognose

Lifts: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/service/open_lifts

Webcams: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/interactive/webcams

General Info: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/switzerland/zermatt/6753810/Ski-Zermatt-resort-guide.html

For those who are on the ground (or on the snow,I guess) feel free to post updates on conditions or indeed anything that the normal websites aren't capturing (good or bad)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Santa has arrived early !!

65cm in resort, and still snowing, roll on the 21st December Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
going on the 15th..looking good,tq for links
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any recent first hand updates on Zermatt? Getting ready to head out on the 19th. Sounds like some potential for additional snow during the week...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Toadman
There is a chat board on the site of the Ski Club of Great Britain - www.skiclub.co.uk and Click on the tab for My Ski Club. The chat board is now open to non-members (too long a story to go into here....) and a member in Zermatt is currently posting a very good daily report under the thread for Snow Conditions. I believe you have to register first to use the chat board but don't have to become a member. There is also a report from the Ski Club rep/leader in Zermatt under the Snow Reprts tab which I think is also open to all although I haven't checked that. The Ski Club meets at the Pollux hotel in the main road up from the train station between 6.30 and 7.30 and is a good place to meet people. I think the club offers a free "taster" day so you can try out the club before joining and you might be interetsed in that - you'd need to check that as I might be out of date. I do know one of the reps/leaders in Zermatt this week (Alan Lyons) and he is a very nice guy to ski with. This is not an advert for the SCGB and my main qualification would be that the members tend to be on the older side but as we are defintely in the ancient wrinklies category we have enjoyed skiing with the reps in new resorts and meeting up with people to ski with at the social hour. We arrive Dec 23rd and are very excited! Have a great stay in Zermatt, it's our favourite resort. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welshcakes - Thanks for the link and info.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was lightly snowing when we arrived last night. Even down in Visp. Had our first day skiing in Zermatt today. Went up to Schwarzsee. Managed to get 2nd tracks down Schusspiste. A few centemeters of fresh on top of the groomed. Did several laps just off to skiers right in a bit of windblown fresh. A bit of a firm layer underneath but still very nice. Sun was out all day. Not too windy. About -8C up top. No crowds as of yet. Spent most of our day just skiing the Furggsattel chair down to the mid Schwarsee gondola station. Still lots of powder to be found off-piste. A bit chunky and windblown in places. But still soft too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Day started out bluebird. Hit some powder stashes off the Rothorn area. North facing slopes, still held nice powder. However, coverage is still a bit thin. My ski bases will atest to that. Will have to breakout the ptex when I get home. Clouds started rolling in and the flat light around 2ish. Called it a day.

The snow started to fall lightly around 4PM in Zermatt. It's now snowing quite hard at just after 6:30PM. Hope the freezing level doesn't go above 2,000 meters tonight. Would be nice to get some fresh tracks on Sunday. We'll see.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boxing Day brought about 1cm of fresh on the Rothorn side. Managed to get first tram and some nice tracks in that light and fluffy 1cm of fresh wink In any event, it was a bluebird day. Very windy over on Schwarzsee. They did not have the Furrgsattel chair running. Just too windy. Offpiste has a nice wind buff sheen to it. I took a few turns off a north facing chute, and didn't break through. Second time not so lucky, and broke off a nice slab and went down. Supposedly the snow is coming on Thursday. Would be nice if the snow came with out those pesky high winds though. Lower slopes were a bit icy at the end of the day, which is to be expected.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing down to village level this afternoon. Couldn't see much up top, no matter which area you were skiing. Best to stay lower out of the wind. Schwarsee shut down about 1PM due to winds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Snowheads folks,

Any word on current Zermatt conditions? I'm arriving Jan 19 and really looking forward. JohnnyC.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi JohnnyC ,Just looking ar snow forecast.com, below freezing at village level, great snow cover for the time of year, decent piste conditions, with offpiste tracked out. A little snow around this Sunday, possibility of a little more later on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Twoodwar!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dont mention it JohnnyC, we are out there first week in Feb. While youre there, have the fish soup in Chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side, and give the Papperal Pub a visit. That is if you like fish, and rock music! Have a great time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, Etoile is already in my list of contacts so I can make a reservation. I wouldn't have thought to try the fish soup, but now I will certainly try it. It's always a challenge finding it...I can remember last trip standing at the big map in front of Plan Maison, wondering where it is, and more or less stumbled across it on the way down the hill. It's not marked very well but I remember the food was worth the trip. Also on my list: Chez Vrony and the restaurant at Hotel Schwarzee. Looking forward and thanks again for the update!!
snow report
Back from Zermatt last week. Really good on piste conditions. Decent coverage to ski all the way back down to village. However, the off-piste is not so hot. They went through a cycle of freeze thaw, and high winds that has left the off-piste less than desirable IMO. Wind crust that is fairly firm but still with issues of stability with a weak layer at the base layer. It sounds like snow coming with high winds out of the north at the end of the week. IME that will end up creating another wind crust layer for the off-piste. But if you are mainly an on piste cruiser, then things should be fine.

Definitely hit up Chez Vrony. That place is just magical. Awesome service, awesome food, awesome atmosphere. Never made it to Italy. Turns out our first day there was the best day ot have gone to Cervinia but the snow was so good on Schwarzsee with zero people on slope made it not worth heading to Italy.

Enjoy.

Rothorn area - Heavy duty wind crust. Looks deceptively beautiful, but...

Riffleberg area - Low vis but decent off-piste that day.

Chez Vrony

Chez Vrony

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-01-13 0:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great photos! Loads of snow!!
ski holidays
JohnnyC wrote:
Great photos! Loads of snow!!

Yes, lots of snow. Like I said the on piste is really good. Just bummed that the weather conditions didn't permit as much off-piste skiing due to avy dangers and the snowpack getting messed up by the high winds. I would not recommend buying an international pass, and just do the Cervinia add on if and when conditions are good for Italy.

My advice is to try and catch the first upload in the morning. Whether it be the gondola, tram, funicular because you get the whole mtn to yourself or with just a few other early birds, and end up with views like this...
latest report
Beautiful!
snow conditions
Anyone out in Zermatt at the moment? Is it snowing?? Sounds like most of the Alps are getting dumped on right now. I'm out Sunday for the week. Will I be getting any off piste pow?

Hoping for some views like the above too!
snow report
jonnybroome, Looking at the Zermatt webcams they have had some fresh snow, will be out on Monday for 10 days
latest report
Bumpety bump , hearing reports of good things in the shadow of the mighty Matterhorn , anyone out here atm
snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy