Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche - Gear?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We have booked our trip to Chamonix for some off-piste snowboarding in March, including Vallee Blanche as the "main course" (depending on finances early next year, a bit of light heliboarding from over in Italy may be on the cards too. Sooo...

We will be going with guides (probably the main mountain guides - Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix, but if there are better guides for boarders who won't get us killed I'd be happy to hear about them too!) Do you know whether the guides provide harness, rope, avalanche beacons, etc? or should we get these ourselves? Wondering if the cost can be justified because, whilst we all enjoy off-piste riding, we're not really "gnarly dudes" who are going to be riding the Eiger annually or making films in Alaska anytime soon...

Any special gear should we be taking? Any specific (brands/models) recommendations for:
- telescopic ski poles (apparently these help boarders for the bottom 3 miles or so of the VB...) Would normal ski poles be better for pushing yourself along the flat bits?
- backpacks - presumably we should take a few snacks?
- anything else? I'm sure I am overlooking a few things that others have wished they had on such trips...

Thanks all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's no way you want to be snowboarding down the (magnificent) Vallee Blanche. It has significant flat and flattish sections.

So ... I'd add a pair of skis to your shopping list!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boardiac, A pair of trainers for the walk out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lol. yeah, getting of the plank surrounded by crevasses is not something I'm keen on...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, some spinach. You'll need poling arms like Popeye
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do you know whether the guides provide harness, rope, avalanche beacons, etc?

Yes.

There are numerous routes and the main one isn't particularly hard. Being able to strap your board to your rucksack is potentially helpful. There is a short walk at the start where having the hands free is helpful. Similarly, there may be a short and rather bracing walk at the end.

Poles for the exit isn't a bad idea. Obviously it is glacial so taking the board off and walking anywhere isn't going to happen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boardiac, Did it a few years ago, one of the best days I've ever had on skis and there were plenty of boarders down there. I'd definitely recommend a guide and when they say follow my tracks they mean it, exacly their tracks, not 30cm away even. The guides will provide harness and av gear. I can't really comment re telescopic ski poles for boarding, but there are some pretty flat sections so I guess they'd be a good idea.

I'd recommend you take plenty of snacks/ energy bars/ picnic lunch and loads of water, plus an empty 8Gb SD card in your camera. Enjoy it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out Lars from "Mountain Penguins", he's a guide in Chamonix and a snowboarder, a rare combination...............
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boardiac,

We're going in March as well, but are skiers. Wear some Snoheads gear so we see you, and if we pass, we'll give you a tow Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Toofy Grin I'll get some snowHead gear and take some pics and post on here...

So what brands of poles? Where to get them?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the guides provide harness rope and avalanche tranciever Would surgest you take poles for pushing and a bit more stability on the arrette taking the board off on the crevassed bit is suicidal as it is possible for the snow bridges to break with the point pressure, I was with a guide last year who saw a boarder take his board off and plunge 90 feet to his death it took a day to g et the body out! The flatest bit is the last half. In good conditions it is superb and well worth doing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boardiac, Any telescopic poles, I use Leki but Black Diamond, Scott and plenty others available, suggest just do a websearch of Edge & Wax etc. I'd go for ones that close down to shortest length so you can strap them to your rucksack easily, and also are at the right price!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or hire a split board/ poles combination for the day? Then use the split board/ poles on the flat section?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strongly recommend you have some crampons for your boots. Sometimes the exit from the Aiquille du Midi cable car station can be really icy (and windswept). You will feel a lot happier with a pair of crampons on your feet when you walk down that rather scary ridge before you start the descent.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loads of boarders do the VB. The guide will provide the transceivers harness etc. a pole will be handy, or better still a friendly skier to give you a tow. I always use crampons on the arête but some guides wouldn't be happy with a rope of first time crampon users.

Whatever happens don't take your board off except on the rocks, a boarder got the chop a couple of years back when he didn't quite make the picnic rocks and started walking!
ski holidays
Don't do it. There are far better things to do on a snowboard in Cham. The Vallee Blanche is often icy moguls and then flat which is really not much fun on a snowboard. So hire a guide and get them to take you somewhere better.
snow conditions
I recommend you contact Jeff Banks one of the nicest guides you will ever meet. He also happens to be one of my ski testers Wink. He has crampons, harnesses trancivers etc.

If he is fully booked PM me for more recommendations Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy