Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck - paging Clarky999

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was going to do a PM, but you never know, someone might use the search function one of these days and find some interesting info here Little Angel

I have a work trip to Munich on 19th so I am thining about taking the rest of the week off and getting a couple of days sliding in. Main criteria would be easy access by train to/from Munich airport (need to fly back on the Friday afternoon/early evening) and some fun terrain. Don't care about lots of piste.

Jumping on the train to Innsbruck and messing around on the Nordkette looks like a good option. Presumably it'll be fairly quiet given that they will be weekdays. Any other suggestions? Must be less than 2 hours by train to Munich with no faff to get to/from the station
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno,

Innsbruck looks to be your best bet in terms of time (under 2 hours) although you still need time to get to the resorts so 2 and a half hours total. If you get the optimum transfers, circa 1 hour more travel time gets you to St Anton. 6hrs at St Anton probably beats 7 hrs at most other resorts, especially at the moment.

http://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/arlberg-galzig/prognose/9-tage
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, hmmm - looking promising there. maybe basing myself in Innsbruck and doing a daytrip to St Anton and then the Friday morning at Nordkette would be a good compromise.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, There are lots of options around there. You could also head up to the Axamer Lizum taking the hourly ski bus from the main station in Innsbruck ( takes just under an hour ) or head over to Stubai ( also from the main station, takes about 1h20 ). Personally for a quick outing I'd head up to Axams or to Nordkette.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey Arno, if you end up at St Anton later in the week we could share some turns - I get there midday on Sat 22. But I realise transfers returning to Munich Sunday evening may not work for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon, need to be back in time for the weekend unfortunately
looking at a long weekend towards the end of Jan/beginning of Feb if that is of interest. most likely to be France (maybe La Grave area)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, are you looking at day trips and returning Munich every night, or basing yourself in Innsbruck for a couple of nights?

Nordkette is unbeatable for access, if you get the timing right, form the train station you can be stood at the top of this in a little over 30 mins (it's nicely filled in now after the last couple of days snow):

Either walk (about 10 mins) to the Congressbahn (bottom of the Hungerburgbahn) and take it right the way up, or walk to Landesmusseumstrasse (4-5mins) and take bus J all the way up to Hungerburg, then go up the Nordkettenbahn.

Nordkette is great if you're happy doing laps, two steep avi-controlled couloirs right form the lifts (well, 5-10 min walk to the other, but there should be a path set), then the other short ungroomed run below to the chairlift, and repeat. You can traverse skiers left at the top as far as you want, but it's not avi-controlled, and you'll have to traverse back. If you're feeling adventurous, you can walk along the Goetheweg (runs along the top of the ridge, basically) for around 20 mins, which accesses more couloirs on both the front and back sides - make your own decisions on avi risk though, and you'll have to climb/skin back up. If you continue along you come to an obvious bowl on the back side, not as steep so *should* be safer avi-wise (though you'll have to decide for yourself), and will be an easier skin back up to the Goetheweg. You should see lots of potential when up there, just go for what looks nice.

We'll have to wait and see if it'll be possible to ski back to the bottom, if you can there are three options, easy winding piste, easy ungroomed ski route leading to a winding track, or a steeper (still pretty easy) ungroomed descent straight down, with some of the MTB obstacles to play on.

During the week it should be fairly quiet, but if it's a powder it can get pretty busy. Bonus is that if it's a powder day, everything is left ungroomed.

Axamer Lizum and Schlick 2000 are both good and have some nice ungroomed runs and offpiste, I need to explore them more really (I skied them both about 10/11 years ago, and they've only recently been added to my season pass). If the snow's good I'd choose them over the Stubai tbh (both also a shorter bus ride than Stubai), though I'm still waiting to check out the new offpiste runs the Stubai has mapped (but not marked/controlled) for this season, which might change things.

St Anton is just over an hour on the train I think, the station is pretty central to the village, 'behind' the main street - under 5 min walk to the Galzigbahn. Definitely worth a day trip if you can. Fiss/Serfaus and Ischgl are similar (maybe a bit further, train to Landeck then bus), but tbh if you're going that way St Anton is both better and easier to get too.

Patscherkoffel is around 15 mins on the (J line) bus from the train station, it's alright for blasting around onpiste, but not much else really - the others are better.

I'm working 19/20th, and flying to the UK on the 21, or I could have shown you round.

Oh, it's dumping atm too!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, cheers - I'm going to come down to Innsbruck on the evening of 19th and heading back to MUC on 21st. Liking the plan of a daytrip to St A on 20th and Nordkette on the morning of 21st. Let's hope the snow continues!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, good plan.

You can use http://www.ivb.at/ and http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en? to work out bus and train times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All booked now. A day with Piste to Powder in St Anton then morning on the Nordkette. Let's hope Austria gets a couple of top ups between now and then.

clarky999, if you are around for a beer (or a ski if your plans change), let me know
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, should be able to get a beer or two in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy