Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Crossfire

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried 'em? What did you think?

I've done a seach through the forums and many people have talked about the Recon, but not the Crossfire. I'm a one week a season Billy at the moment and I reckon I spend at least 70% of my ski time on piste right now so, on paper at least, the Crossfire sounds like a more suitable ski- I want something fast and stable on the hardpack. But if I decide to do another season the off-piste would tip the balance, so I still want a ski that can float.....

Anybody tried both the Recon AND the Crossfire?

I haven't gotten round to testing any skis recently so my only point of reference is my battered K2 X-15s.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If in doubt take the wider ski always, you will learn to use it as its your point of reference, just like when you change your car. First few times its a bit different but it will become habit. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bexen, I've tried them both. The Recon for a few hours in La Rosiere & both the Recon (many times) & the Crossfire at Xscape.

The Crossfire would be the better choice for your one week 70% on piste use requirement, although I'd prefer the Volkl 5* or the Fischer RX8. There's some cracking RX8 deals going at the moment which would make me go that route. However the Recon would be the better choice if you skied considerably more weeks/a lot more off piste etc.

Like the Rossi B2, the Recon is a very good all round ski & has many fans however, like the B2, I found it damp, lifeless & unrewarding. If you're considering the Recon I'd recommend testing it alongside the Atomic Metron M11/b5, the Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous/Top Fuel, the Stockli Stormrider XL all of which give you a bigger bang for your buck. Also try the Volkl AC3 although I haven't tried it myself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would have thought that alot of those skis would be too advanced for a skier like Bexen.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi ponder, yeah you could be right..... I'm never sure where to match skis/ability.....

I don't know, I want a ski that will push me, make me work hard, and make me pay for my mistakes so that I learn!

Anyway, my vitals are: I have a season in the three valleys under my belt where I skiied every day and had a few one-on-one lessons, and I used to do a little bit of recreational race training at Rossendale when I was a kid and then at Uni. In addition to the seasons I probably have about 12 weeks skiing since I was 9 (I'm now 25). I'm can easily tackle most things on piste though have yet to nail the moguls with style. Off piste- I was getting fairly fluid by the end of the season having skied with people better than me who would not accept my wussy excuses and dragged me on regardless. I think I've done all of the recognised itinaries in the three valleys and in the second half of the season I was definitely off piste more than on in a desperate attempt to stay away from the crowds- so I'm happy to trek for a while to find the powder.

I'm 5'8'', 70kg and female. What would you recommend? (I am probably biased towards K2 'cos I loved by X-15s even though they are way too long for me at 183)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy the Cheif, stay off the piste. I would hope thereafter you'll resemble someone with a coat-hanger stuck firmley in their mouth. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bexen, From your experience the list I suggested would still stand if it wasn't for your light weight & gender.

If you want to stay with K2 I think the Recon would be ideal as it's gonna be way better off piste than the Crossfire & it's the softest of my list. However, lastest design thinking suggest that women should ski on a female specific ski. These tend to be a tad softer than the standard model but, & more importantly, their binding position is slightly further forward to suit the female physique.

The K2 female specific range is the Omni Series & with the feamle version of the Recon being the T9 Lotta Luv & the female version of the Crossfire is the T9 Burnin' Luv. My missus has the Burnin' Luv's & thinks they're great.

I suggest testing them both.

http://www.k2skis.com/homes/home.asp?series=omni
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As spiderjon said, experience-wise those stiffer skis seem like a good choice for you - something you could grow into, but still handle OK right now. However, you probably don't have the weight/power to flex them properly, and mind find that the skis ride you indtead of the other way around. I like spiderjon's suggestion of the K2 female range, which are supposed to be very good skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks spyderjon, - yep, I guess the only answer is to go and do some testing. What a hardship Very Happy Thanks for your list and advice. I've always been put off by female specific 'cos they plaster everything with pink or baby blue flowers and the like........ ! Still, function over form and all that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bexen, A non girlie option would be the Atomic Metron M10 or M11 as they have an optional forward mounting position (user changeable) the the further option of virtually any postion once you figure out how to play around with the rail system. A pal of mine who's you're ability level is on the M11's & he's only 140lbs & he loves them. In 152 or 162 they'd reward any level of input you apply but are still fine for cruising in the afternoons.

BTW, EB's at Castleford have demo skis in all girlie K2 models & you can test them on the Xscape slope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about the Rossi B2's as opposed to the K2 Recons? I would like to think that the B2's would be a better option as they have a better specification than the Recons and are more forgiving than the Recons.

Any thoughts?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hornster, Bexen says she wants:

"I want something fast and stable on the hardpack....." & "I want a ski that will push me, make me work hard, and make me pay for my mistakes so that I learn!"

Nothing personal & I know I'll get flamed for this but imho that's the total opposite of the B2's characteristics. The B2 is a good ski but technology has moved on in the last season with the Metron's, Stormriders & Recon's & this season with the Hot Rod's, Volkl AC's & Rossi own new Zenith's etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
Hornster, Bexen says she wants:

"I want something fast and stable on the hardpack....." & "I want a ski that will push me, make me work hard, and make me pay for my mistakes so that I learn!"

Nothing personal & I know I'll get flamed for this but imho that's the total opposite of the B2's characteristics. The B2 is a good ski but technology has moved on in the last season with the Metron's, Stormriders & Recon's & this season with the Hot Rod's, Volkl AC's & Rossi own new Zenith's etc.

Sounds like you ski a hell of alot, and have tested a hell of alot of skis buddy, do you ever work? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hornster wrote:
I would like to think that the B2's would be a better option as they have a better specification than the Recons

A foam lover I guess Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Bit of a gearHead I'm afraid. Haven't tested a "hell of a lot of skis" but I tested virtually every all mntn carver/freeride model available last season over four weeks from Dec to March with exactly the same one ski quiver requirement as Bexen, although I'm a lot fatter Embarassed

Just telling it as I found it. I ended up opting for the b5 although I look forward to JT trying to convert me to Stormriders at next weeks PSB. The Mondial de Ski at LDA should give me a chance to try the AC's as well.

Unfortunately I do work but luckily I'm sponsored by Mastercard & Visa Laughing
snow report
spyderjon,

No.It sounds like you have found your ski and I doubt we will find Stormriders there anyway,
I might even be chasing b5's ..!!

But all things considered I don't expect to get the conditions to really know what a ski will give. I'm expecting hardpack so a slalom type ski will do in all probalbilty.

Should be fun and another perspective anyway
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Should be fun and another perspective anyway

You betcha.

I'll bring my screwdriver & get you slotted in to my b5's. What's your boot length?
latest report
spyderjon,

Do you know, I'm not really sure, I'll have a look when I get home, I have a size 10 in Salomon and seem to recall 328...!!!
snow report
JT, That's near enough!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy