Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please from Les Arcs experts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a few years skiing in Austria we're going back France and Arc 1950 for a week from Feb 9th. I'd be grateful for some advice from those in the know on a couple of points:
1. I figure we can order our lift passes via the web ? How does this work - do they send them or do we pick them up on arrival ?
2. Also it looks like we can book skis and boots online ? We're just looking for good intermediate kit, so does anyone have a recommended place to go?
3. Ditto ski school for 2 intermediate 13yr old kids ?
4. We're taking the car and the web sites say there is parking under the village - is it best to pre-book this.

Thanks in advance

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mike - we are also out that week and I'm not an expert but have been before - for lift passes I order mine online - no charge for the card and they were delivered within 1 week, just worked on the 1st day we used them no need to activate or anything.

http://en.paradiski.com/paradiski-ski-area/lift-pass-les-arcs.html

Have own kit so cannot help you there & I do book my parking on-line as it is cheaper but we stay in 2000 - not sure about 1950 I'm sure one of the owners in 1950 can help with that.

In terms of Ski school I have used New Generation in Vallandry twice and they have been excellent both times - as I was looking for private lessons they came to 2000 and met us - lessons were some of best we've had, we have booked with them again this year for off-piste.

Have a great time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikeh,

You can order lift passes online and they will send if you do it up to two weeks before your visit if later you can collect when you get there from lift pass office in centre of village. Once you have cards if you keep them you can re-charge them online for future visits.

When we went Spirit 1950 were the only option in 1950 but I am sure I have read that ESF have opened up as well we have never used them but Spirit generally get good reviews.

We have always booked our parking online before going just for piece of mind.

You will really enjoy it great place to stay.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We ordered our lift passes online and they were delivered by post. In hindsight there was no real benefit to this for us - we could have just ordered them through our operator rep on the transfer bus and they would be delivered to our chalet!

I used Spirit in 1950 and would recommend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jenniper wrote:
We ordered our lift passes online and they were delivered by post. In hindsight there was no real benefit to this for us - we could have just ordered them through our operator rep on the transfer bus and they would be delivered to our chalet!

erm there is - the last time I ordered lift passes on the bus (not in les arcs) they were delivered at 10:30 on Sunday morning.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For kit, Google Popcorn. They are the cheapest in 1800 but sorry I am not sure if they have a shop in 1950. Alternatives would be Skiset and Intersport. You can book online, it's straighforward enough. Definitely book ski school at that time of year. Google try ESF, Arc Adventures based in 1800 but probably cover 1950 as well, or Ski Privilege for private lessons.
Hope that helps - have fun! Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses - got a whole list of things figured out now I can get sorted thanks to your help. I found Skimium for kit, who look to be part of Spirit, and I'll look at these others now. Migletski - we're stopping in an apartment in Le Manoir Savoie - 1950 looks good, especially right now with heaps of snow.
Biggest deal now is having to wait till Feb, still only 9 weeks I think.

Off to find some winter tyres now - we drive one of Bavaria's Mechanical Wonders and its cr*p on anything that looks even vaguely cold and white...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mikeh, Hi, Arc 1950 is a bit of a strange place. All the ski shops are in fact owned by the same people although they have different names. It does not matter which of the shops you use there, you can get the same kit in them all. Not as cheap as up in Arc 2000, but ok.

Use this link: http://www.arc1950.com/en/hiver/glisse/Renting/id-menu-132.html

or you can go up to Arc 2000 and find the skiset, Intersport and other rental shops.

For parking as others have said, better to book online in advance and save a bit of money. Likewise with your ski passes. Book them online now and they will be posted to you. It is very easy. Depending on if you are having group lessons all week, the best ski pass to buy for a week is the 'Discovery pass' which gives you one day over in La Plagne. Well worth the effort if only to take the kids on the vanoise Express, the biggest cable car in the world (they say!)

If the kids are going to have lessons all week, then you can save some money on the lift pass/lessons by buying them together with the ESF. Not sure if Spirit have the same deal. The ESF guys in Arc 1950 are good and speak English. New Gen over in Vallandry are ok if you are having private lessons as they will come to you, but otherwise to far to go to meet your group each day. Spirit are ok as well, it just depends who you get.

As that is the half term week there should be quite a few other English kids about and the village is car free, quite small and very safe for the kids to wander.

Hope to see you at George's Wine Bar for apree ski perhaps. It is just down from the main square opposite the Hotel Manoir.

The main web page for the Village is: http://www.arc1950.com/en/hiver/le-village/Village-map/id-menu-269.html

You can find the answer to most of your questions their or take a look at my facebook Les Arcs Winter page. http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

or the snowheads les Arcs season thread. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91244

Hope that all helps with your planning. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks snowcrazy - the kids will have lessons so the ESF suggestion we will surely look at, from what I've read it looks easy to go accross to Arc 2000 so I'll take a look at Intersport etc as well.
I think UK half term is spread over 2 weeks this year - we get the first week which we are hoping will be a bit quieter (which was reflected in the price of the apartment). I've seen George's mentioned in other posts on here and it doesnt usually take too much persuasion...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
Jenniper wrote:

erm there is - the last time I ordered lift passes on the bus (not in les arcs) they were delivered at 10:30 on Sunday morning.

Ours were delivered during breakfast on our first day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you order your passes on line, and just suppose the first day is a complete blizzard with no lifts running, you lose that days money. They are are so efficient in resort I've stopped ordering passes on line now having lost a days worth of pass due to Mr EasyJet cancelling our flight whilst we were in the departure lounge! The lift company were not sympathetic and offered no refund.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If u can arrive mid-afternoon, u should be able to avoid a big queue at the ski-hire shops. i think the shops are open til 7 or 7.30 but there could be a sizeable queue by then. leaving it til sunday morning might not be advisable, especially with a 9.30 lesson due to congestion too. your apartment might not be ready til 5 p.m but at least your stuff is safe and sound downstairs in the car park until it is.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For equipment hire check out rentalrepublic. We used them last winter at 1950 and have booked again this year. NO queues as they deliver to your apartment!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ESF do have a place at 1950 now - i had some lessons with them when i stayed there in march this year. They were very good. Hired our gear from skiset at 2000, there was only a short queue for gear when we went there late saturday afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went there 2 years ago and loved it!!!

That time, people from here(Snowhead) gave me some valuable information. I'll try to give you some:(assuming you don't know the place):

1) You'll find very interesting and affordable things at Bourg Saint Maurice as rentals, food and drink stuff. Of course good things ever come together with bad ones!!! Not a problem at all, but you'll spend a time to go down and up by the Funicular.

2) Before you go to ski, take a deep look on the mountain's map! If I'm not wrong they have the estimated time you'll need in order to get back to 1950, from the spot you are. And belive me, it could be a lot of time(key issue at the end of the day!), since the mountain is huge and you'll need to, some times to use several lifts to do that.

3) Look at the weather forecast, from the morning and talk with the lift/locals people. They will help you in order to chose the best sector of the mountain in accordance with the conditions. And, it makes a huge difference!!!

4) Enjoy!!!!!

Eduardo snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy