Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Skis to Rent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, getting really excited about annual ski trip - Saalbach in February. I started skiing in the early eighty's when skis were long and straight,I still have a pair of 2M planks in the shed! there was a long gap but over the last few years I have started to get away again each year and to my amazement I can still do it; like riding a bike as they say. I hire skis and and just step in to whatever I'm given, I do normally opt for the premium rental because I think I should? Skiing on piste, reasonable speed and on any red, I have shy ed away from blacks but I used to ski blacks so may well do so on next trip.

Given that I can ski but know nothing about skis I am wondering is there really an advantage in going for the premium rental? and given a choice of the different brands available in the hire shop what should I be looking for given my type of skiing - there is a bewildering assortment!

Am I under/over thinking this Puzzled

Appreciate any thoughts on this
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you like mixed terrain piste off piste ect grab a pair of icelantic nomads great all mountain ski.....it will take the lot in its stride
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangledupinblue, Go 'premium' and ask for 'slalom' skis and get ready to have fun
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're off of 2m straights, chances are there's not too much carve in your technique. Pretty much all top end hire skis are this year's top carvers/race/ race derived. Don't waste your money, a standard hire (last years premium) will do you fine.

The previous two posters are either taking the pi$$ or keen on wasting YOUR cash. wink

Try to slip in a few lessons. Things have moved on a lot in the last 20yrs. Cool

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 2-12-12 22:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 to Mollerski's suggestions, particularly the last one. I was in your situation (stopped sometime in the early '90s and came back two years ago), and while it's fairly easy IMHO to learn to carve once you have a decent stance, it does require a little bit of coaching and feedback.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with mollerski since there is no point in wasting money. Although i suppose it depends on what you want and what you feel comfortable skiing with but i don't see why the normal rental skis wouldn't suffice. At least they shouldn't be like the sponges i got and had to upgrade before i bought my own skis years ago.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of lessons as suggested by Mollerski, so you can make the most of shaped skis and the "silver" or mid priced rentals should be fine. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for all comments, hopefully Walter and Red were not taking Pi$$
I did take a lesson last time and will carry on practicing carving - been studying You Tube keenly and should fit in a lesson or 2 next trip. I will probably go for the mid priced as liliywhite suggests - seems a reasonable compromise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tangledupinblue, Seriously - Get the best kit you can - it will be better, help you more, and you'll have more fun.

Or, save €20 or whatever and have a slightly less good time. up to you...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, You're right after searching for a few discount codes the cost seems a little more reasonable now and so slalom skis it it Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangledupinblue, last time I went to Austria I hired top end Blizzard (Austrian make IIRC) slalom skis - quite short too (on recommendation). Really, really great fun. Quite stiff and very stable at speed (well moderate speed, I suppose).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur,

Blizzard started out Austrian, but I think they are Italian owned at the moment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Volkl Racetiger SL or Stockli Laser SC are also both good and often available in Austria
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Atomic also do a nice slalom race ski that you'll find in the Austrian shops - they make heroes from zeroes!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doh! now spoiled for choice Very Happy shop I'm looking at has Volkl Racetiger SL, Atomic D2 and Blizzard SLR slalom skis. No worries I'm sure any of them will be great!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy