Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get to Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

It seems to me that there is no fool proof way of getting to serre che (i.e. no direct shared transfer). I would be super appreciative of the adivse of those who've tried and tested getting to resort. Flights aren't yet booked, but Grenoble looks like front runner??

Thanks so much!!
L
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a bus service from Grenoble train station to Serre. There are not many buses per day though so I have always booked ahead. There is a regular bus serrvice from Grenoble airport to the railway station.

Alternatively you could fly to Lyon which has much better facilities and take a bus from there to Grenoble train station.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went from Grenoble Airport with Bens Bus last year. They drop you off at Bourg d'Oisans on the way to Les Deux Alpes. From there you get a local bus which goes through all the Serre Chevalier villages. It was really straight forward. There was a rather nervous wait in the deserted bus station at Bourg d'Oisans (It was lunchtime and everything was shut and the timetable was different to the one online!) but the bus turned up on time and whisked us off to the resort. I think it cost €10 one way, but don't quote me on that. Bens Bus will also deposit you at the turn off for SC where you can get a taxi, but I've no idea how much that would be.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lauralaura1981, if you are arriving on a Saturday, there are shared transfers with the Alpine transfer company from both Turin and Grenoble. http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/en/transfer-towns/serre-chevalier
If you're arriving on another day, email them as it may be possible to hook up with other customers and reduce the cost of the transfers. They often post spare places on the website too.
There is also a direct bus from Lyon airport, look on www.serre-chevalier.com for details.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi!
Thank you for your replies, they're very helpful.

Hells Bells - I've emailed the alpine-transfer-company, so will see what they come back with. I am doing Sat-Sat. Experience tells me not to be too hopeful for a reasonable price...

Richjp - I did see that option, but couldn't see for sure bus times, so appreciate your heads up that they might not be regular.

Eversolazy - I think your call on Bens Bus to Bourg d'Osains, and then the local bus onwards, might be the way forward. I did find this online, but didn't know how the last bit of the journey might work out. I already emailed the recommended chap re the taxi option (after part journey with Bens Bus), and he quoted 85 euros for 1 way.. nearly fell off my chair, and politely declined.
Seems a shame that Bens won't do the whole trip!!

Thanks again - Snowhead users always come up trumps Smile
Happy winter!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lauralaura1981, welcome to snowHeads.

Could Turin be an option for you to fly into?

I'm sure a thread on sH covered transfers from Turin. There are several options - bus into Turin from airport and then catch train to Briancon. Hire a car? IIRC, the cost to hire a car is very similar to the alpine-transfer-company price.

The other benefit is the removal of the need to go over the Col du Lauteret. It may not be that often, but the heavy snow that area sees can close the road.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 3-12-12 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lauralaura1981, Travelling Sat-Sat means you have pretty good chances for a reasonable transfer! Grenoble and Turin are the best options for sure! We do have a Forum for people looking for Shared Transfers - you can have a look and stick your details on. Someone might be going the same way and also, transfer companies can get in touch if they have an empty vehicle... http://www.findtransfers.com/shared_transfers.asp Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just booked with UCPA for Serre Che and they said fly to Turin and there are shared transfers from there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lauralaura1981, some help from Ben's bus on how to get from Bourg d'Oisans to Serre Chevalier http://www.bensbus.co.uk/Serre_Chevalier_ski_transfers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

Thanks all for ideas.

Alpine-transfer came back to me but only had 2 times during whole of saturday for transfer, both of which were not near any flight times. Darn.

Hells/Everso - re onwards from Bourg d'Oisans... any idea of bus times/frequency. The timetable isn't clear and to me implies just 1 x 7pm bus?? I could be being completely blonde!

I've looked at the turin thing and also don't see any bookable transfers... im not sure i trust myself to find public transport easily..!

Cheers all!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rail Europe may be your friend (assuming you are not yet committed to a French airport).

Reservation number: 0844848 4064
Opening Times:
Monday to Friday 9am-7pm and Saturday 9am-6pm

They may be able to assist with train times from Turin to Briancon. The it is just getting from the airport to the station.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lauralaura1981, train mentioned above by Chasseur does not go to Briancon, it only goes as far as Oulx in Italy,which is at the other side of the Col de Montgenevre. However it does meet up with a bus service to Briancon. You may be better waiting at Turin for Alpine Transfers though.

Here are some links I sent a guest who is planning a similar trip in late January

Airport shuttle to railway station. http://www.aeroportoditorino.it/en/passeggeri_en/trasporti_en/bus_en.html

Train (Paris-Milan line) to Oulx- website is http://www.trenitalia.com/
Bus from Oulx to Briancon (timetable isn't online yet). Website http://05voyageurs.com (fare is 16€)
then ski bus service or taxi to the apartment (bus stop is 200m from the door)
Info on tourist office website here http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/trip-planner/how-to-get-here/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, Embarassed knew I should have looked for the thread where it was discussed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, your geography has let you down before wink.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It may be a complete non-starter for you, but a Ford Focus sized car is about £130 for a weeks hire from Turin - around a 2 - 2.15 hour drive
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Chasseur, your geography has let you down before wink.

That is actually very funny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing and thank you for reminding me....again wink Laughing
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
It may be a complete non-starter for you, but a Ford Focus sized car is about £130 for a weeks hire from Turin - around a 2 - 2.15 hour drive

Caveat: But only if your geography doesn't let you down.
snow conditions
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
lauralaura1981, Your other option would be to contact some tour operators that do Serre Che on Saturdays (Inghams and Ski Miquel springs to mind) - with Inghams we used to sell 'transfers only' so literally just the flights and transfers. Might be worth looking into it...
latest report
Inghams - they say no.
Ski Miquel, nice chap - would have done but only has 1 flight left!!
I'm just not cool with the car thing... I can see the melt down before it happens Smile haha!

Hells Bells - thanks, i'll look into your links Smile

I WILL get there!!
snow report
Fair enough... Good luck Laura - do stick your request on our shared forum, you might get lucky! Little Angel
latest report
lauralaura1981 I can't remember how frequent the buses were I'm afraid, but would imagine there's more than one a day. The one we caught was early afternoon on a Saturday. I'm sure there's someone on here who must know about bus timetables!
snow report
eversolazy, the winter timetable isn't on the bus company website yet. Bens Bus link above has a link to it.

EDIT:- but if you actually attempt to book the bus online it will tell you when the buses are running.
snow report
lauralaura1981, just had an e-marketing notification that Rocketski are selling flights from Gatwick to Turin - may be worth getting in touch with them. They only go to Montgenevre if one can also get transfers, but the onward journey from there shouldn't be too hard to organise as it's only just over 10km to Briancon.
latest report
Hi All,

Thanks again for all your input. I think we checked out all avenues, so wanted to share my conclusions for any future people not sure what to do.

We nearly went for the car hire option... this looked to be about £130 on the surface, but costs increased a bit with Fuel, and you also needed a credit card to book etc.

So, we decided for convenience (although not particularly cheap) we've gone with the Alpine Transfer Co. They had 2 Grenoble shared transfers of a saturday one afternoon, one evening, so although we'll have a bit of a wait, we're at least being dropped in resort. This costs 50€ each way per person. (ATC had 1 each way for Turin airport too at 45€ ppew). Bens was cheaper, but as you all know, only takes you to Bourg d'O for a connecting bus - trying to line up the second bus etc was too hit and miss.

I still find it pretty amazing that in 2012 there isn't much choice, so i'm just presuming that the nature of the resort and holidayers doesnt give rise to too many folks wanting to be transferred?!

Thanks again all - Happy Winter!! Very Happy
latest report
lauralaura1981, glad to hear you're all sorted.

SC, whilst better known now than when I started skiing only 11 years ago, still isn't a big, well known UK destination. You only have to look at the fairly limited TO options to perhaps appreciate that. I guess that is mainly why organising things independently is a tad harder. I've been there 5 times and only once on a package with a TO. All independently done otherwise - either drive or fly/hire.

Is this your first time in SC? Any questions, don't hesitate to fire away. I'll do my best to answer and then Hells Bell can give you the right info Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
I'm just not cool with the car thing... I can see the melt down before it happens
Quote:
I could be being completely blonde!
Hmmmmmm......... Laughing
snow conditions
Fly Cuneo Alpes or Turin for cheapest flights, then drive over from Italy. The road from Grenoble is long and difficult if it's snowing. You do get to say you've been to La Grave though, which is as cool as it gets to ski bores....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

s this your first time in SC? Any questions, don't hesitate to fire away. I'll do my best to answer and then Hells Bell can give you the right info

Laughing Laughing
latest report
wink
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
wink
Hells Bells, Chasseur,
Hya I have just booked the hotel Grand Serre Chevalier, 24th March.
I an taking a friend 52 and her 3 girls, 12 ,13 ,14, they are all first timers ,I am an old snowhead.
Please what do you suggest we do with the girls.....after their lessons?
Will I find my way around if I have to ski alone?
We are travelling with Neilson so I guess that there will be a reps ski guiding day.....
All contributions greatfully recieved,
Cheers
Victoria Smile
ski holidays
It's a really easy resort to find your way around and your hotel is right next to the Bletonet lift.
ski holidays
badgerlover, resort, pistes and routes back down the mountain are all well-signposted. Take the girls to the thermal spa in Monetier, or for Italian Ice-cream in the walled town of Briancon, both can be reached on the ski bus (but you will need to get another shuttle bus up to the old town).
Hubby and I will be in Serre Che that week is you want to join us for a ski. Drop me a PM nearer the time if you want to join us. As for ski guiding, the decision on whether that is lawful or not will be reached today.
latest report
That's a bit weird...can't even picture where that hotel is...even looking at the website Puzzled Having stayed in Chantemerle 3 times, must have walked (staggered) past it on numerous occasions rolling eyes

badgerlover, I've skied at various times by myself there and it is pretty easy to get about to be honest. Even if you decide to head out and over to Monetier, for example, and don't fancy the ski back, the valley bus service is regular and not overly long/difficult to return on.

There used to be ice caves above Chantemerle (Serre Ratier) IIRC - might be interesting. There also used to be an ice rink in Chantemerle (I haven't checked recently). There was also an ice go-karting track towards Villeneuve....may go down well with the teens, depending on what they like doing, I suppose. I haven't stayed in Chantemerle for 8 years, so some/all/most of that may be out of date Embarassed
latest report
Chasseur, you can see it from the road just by the ski bus stop. Right by the Chalet restaurant. Same side as lifts.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I know where it should be....just can't get it in my minds eye Laughing Still, we all know what my compass is like in that area...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy