Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WhiteDot Preacher Review

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, been on my WhiteDot "Preacher's" for about a week now so thought I'd just write up a quick post on how the development of the ski is going and what I think of the model so far. Now before anyone asks yeah I'm biased and involved with the company but I'll try to give as honest opinion as I can! Firstly for a few stats on the ski and myself so you can all see where I'm comming from...

The model I've got is the 189cm Preacher, it's one of the prototype models we've been testing ready for the production to start next season, measures out at 155-112-133 and the true tail to tip measurment is actually 188cm long. It's got a semi-twin tip, enough for backing out of difficult lines or riding switch on the piste but the ski is primarily designed as a freeride ski, not for freestyle, WhiteDot designed the ski for riding mixed conditions and for being a fat ski that you can take on the piste and still have a good time.

I've been skiing seasons since leaving Uni about 8 years ago, my main interest is all-mountain skiing with a bias to jibbing. I ride park and backcountry and favour fat skis, piste skiing on slaloms is not my bag! I'm 5'10" and 75kg and previous skis I've enjoyed are...Movement Goliath and Kamasutra, Zag Slap MW, Line Prophet 130, Black Crows Navis, Dynastar Big Trouble, Icelantic Shaman (well pretty much anything from Icelantic to be honest!), K2 Hellbent, Scott Pure 93, Line Sir Francis Bacon, well you get the idea. I've also skiied and tested the Scott Stunt, Mission and Punnisher, Salomon Dumonts and Suspects, most of the Amplid and Liberty range, all from this year and to be honest consider them on the whole to be poor efforts and not suited to my style...sweeping statement I know but there you go! Currently riding with a torn meniscus and acl so not exactly top of my game at the mo, but fit enough to get some turns in!

Well firstly picking up the skis you notice the light weight of them, and I'd say medium flex. However the overriding impression (apart from the graphics!) is of a very shapely ski, at first I was worried this might make them unstable and hooky in difficult snow but I was also intereted in how this would work. I've skiied them in some pretty awesome conditions here in the Zillertal valley in Austria, we've had a fair bit of snow pretty regular for the best part of a month now and the off-piste has been a mix of pow pow and chowder but all of it soft. On piste the groomers have been working hard but naturally there has been big moguls and icy patches inbetween! Getting to the top of the lift and starting your first decent the skis are pretty intimidating but don't let this put you off if you manage to test a pair, the ski is nice and light under your feet with a flex that seems to work with you rather than make things difficult, it's not a super-stiff ski but it's also by no means a noodle, there's a good feeling of re-bound and pop from the camber and the ski is fairly lively (my girlfriend can't decide if it's too much on the 169's but she'll post a review soon) which makes it really quick from edge to edge and to be honest consequently feels as manoeuvrable as something 15mm thinner. There is enough edge grip on anything apart from bullet-proof ice to feel secure on your feet and to committ to your turns on piste, its even easily possible to do some short radius carves on them which was a huge surprise but made them nice through the pow moguls on piste, and you get a real feel for what the snow is doing under your feet, the feedback and "feel" you get from the ski is exceptional. Taking them on high speed piste runs is super fun with the big shape, its possible to get some outrageous edge angles on them! They're definately a ski for someone who likes to crank out the turns (ie me!) but if you prefer to straight line they might be a bit too turney, they'll handle the speed but don't feel as secure running flat.

Running into powder snow the float they generate is really good, the medium flex means the ski surfs up nicely and the big tip gives you confidence when running in uneven terrain. They initiate the turn with super confidence and again the lively nature makes them quick from edge to edge and really easy to adjust your line in the trees. We've been doing a lot of tree runs with these skis due to the unstable snow and poor visibility and I was pretty worried about taking such a big rig in tight lines but to be honest I had nothing to worry about, the length gave them loads of float and stability if you got out of balance and they are sooooooo easy to ski that it allows you to concentrate on where youre going rather than trying to battle the skis (eg Amplids!), we've also been in a few open bowls where you can open the turns out and let them run....awesome fun but you will feel the sidecut here, they want to keep turning but all it takes is getting used to the sensation and staying ontop of them. I've been riding with Scottish who's on the Factory Team and he's also been using them in freeride comps, he pretty much agrees and was pleasantly surprised how suited to changeable conditions they are. Busting through chowder they track nicely and dont get bounced off line but I'll have to wait until the snow firms up a bit to truly put that to the test.

Overall theyre a special ski with a big sweet spot that is built for "turners" rather than "straighters" that can handle a day on the hill if its powder or dust on crust and your not too sure whats around the next corner, they even ride switch ok enough to jib the piste!! We're working on a few mods on the next batch inc a re-profiled nose and stiffening her up a touch (but not enough to damage the playful nature) but overall I think it's a solid effort and a ski that will be suited to a wide range of skiiers. Hope you enjoyed reading this one, the comments are all my honest opinions and I'll try to keep everyone updated if I get on the modified model, cheers Doc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had my 189 Preachers out this week as well. Skied only firm pistes & well trodden adjacent to slopes including medium bumps. There's no mounting lines on the pre-production models so I did a lot of experimenting with my balanced & mounted them with the bcl 1026mm back from the tip (straight tape) & they were on the money. General build quality & edge angle consistency is excellent. I only did minimal base prep & the bases are very fast. I concur with the doc's comments however I'm 20kg heavier & found them too soft (but I like stiff skis) & therefore a bit unstable at speed. They're noticeably softer in the mid section to my 187 High Society FR's & from memory are probably close to a Mission's flex. I didn't get to try them in the soft stuff but skis of this radius (21m) have caught me out before so personally I'd like a longer radius ski that I can steer & that won't hook up too quickly. Mine have a bit too much camber but this I believe is being corrected & the production skis will be 5mm which will be spot on. Good to hear about the slight stiffening - maybe by using carbon so as to retain that rewarding/entertaining pop & to keep the weight down. For the re-profiled nose - something more bullet shaped to move the contact point back & reduce swing weight would be good. Maybe even narrowing the nose a tad to give a 24/25m radius. BTW, although I'll hopefully be selling Whitedot skis in the future I did actually buy these skis & my comments re flex & radius are my personal preferences with which many would disagree (that's you Mission fans out there). Overall they're very nice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah agreed with the stiffness, wondered what someone with a bit more beef (no offence) would think of that. The new models are going for a bit more carbon methinks, and the nose will have less swing weight, so your on the money spyderjon!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the_doc, how do they compare to the Icelantic Nomads and Scott Mission??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
the_doc, how do they compare to the Icelantic Nomads and Scott Mission??

kitenski, if you like both those skis then you'll simpy lurve the Preachers.

Dunno if kiwi1 has any plans to change the lime green topsheet colour as it causes a bit of a 'marmite' reaction. I very much like the graphic design but not the lime green colour. The orange on The One looks great & the black on The Redeemer looks really cool.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, I've not skied the Nomads but 2 friends ripped up the mountain on them last weekend and they made the heavy powder seem very easy! Nothing wrong with my Missions, but interested in other options with a larger turn radius........
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi KITENSKI, personally I'm a huge fan of the Nomad and shaman from Icelantic, for me they're one of the stand-out brands for the season. The skis have similar traits, both the Dot's and Icelantic's are low on weight and big on grin factor, neither feel the length or width they actually are, I found with the Preacher in particular you had to keep looking at the ski to remind yourself how wide they actually are! The Nomad is definately a more "trad" ski design, with less of a taper angle than the Preacher and thus is a really rounded ski, good for park and powder, I'd go so far as to say for me they're a one ski quiver that I'd love to own. The Preacher has maybe a softer flex to the Nomad (but will be stiffened) but loves to carve up the piste and has a lot better float in soft snow than the Nomad. Sorry but can't say the same of the Missions and Punnishers, I was really looking foward to skiing them at the Saalbach test last year but I've rarely been so dissapointed. At the moment the prototype Preacher has a similar fore/aft flex to the Punnisher but there the similarity ends, the quality of the build and materials of the Dots really shines through aswell as the lateral stiffness, they ski all over the mountain soooo much better, they've got more character and feel, they handle mixed conditions (inc I felt hardpack) better and really help you along, something I felt was really lacking in the cheap Scott designs...I really do mean to give no offence and if you love the Mission thats fine but to me the two skis are incomparable, poles apart. As I say Nina my g/f is riding the 169 Preacher's and she's about 5'1'' and 49kg so I'll badger her to write a review to give the lighter girls a view??

Oh and the graphics will be "tweeked" for next season....but thats all I'm saying as KIWI 1 will chop me spuds off if I go on!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd be interested in skiing the Preacher.

I like the sound of it in the trees and that is something that needs to be retained, IMO.
More float that a Nomad..???? and a decent edge on piste makes this one to seek out.

I am currently on Gladiators which I like but just feel they ski a tad too short for me...
I am thinking of the Sluff but will add this to a small wishlist.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, we've not changed the dims. Still 155/112/133. We've taken it in slightly from the start of effective edge to the tip so there is no chance of it hooking, reduced the camber to 5mm but made the 179 and 189 slightly stiffer by adding carbon, kevlar stringers and taken the core the full length (tip to tail). Basically we've listened to the early feedback. It still rocks in the trees but is now more stable at speed and is not hooky when cranked over on an edge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kiwi1,

Any plans to take any down to the alpes any time soon..?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, I've got a demo in Cervinia on for the same week as the EoSB but I'll be swinging through Chamonix and Val Thorens for a couple of days before.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will you be in the 3 Vallees anytime week starting 13th April kiwi1, ??? I'm in La Tania that week and would love to try them....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, yeah I have a meeting in VT. I'll let you know the dates closer to the time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kiwi1, Maybe you could chuck the dates in my direction too please? We are in VT that week and it would be great to say 'Hi' et.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, yeah it'd be great to catch up again.
ski holidays
Missions! There are only Scott Missions! Only Scott Misssio-n-n-ns! O, O, O Only Scott Missions!

But then I could be biased. Madeye-Smiley

Um. And they could be more stable at speed Embarassed But I love 'em wink
snow conditions
Um - taking mine touring (if conditions permit) on Thursday. If not, will be some hiking + powder. Either way, I will try to a) give some feedback and b) provide some photo evidence.
ski holidays
zammo,

be interested in feedback as 112mm seems a mite big uphill.. what binders..?

Might be in France late April
snow report
JT wrote:
zammo,

be interested in feedback as 112mm seems a mite big uphill.. what binders..?

Might be in France late April

I fitted Dukes or Barons to Zammo's skis, can't remember which exactly.
ski holidays
Good feedback on the Preachers....some pics and my humble review over here in case anyone missed it:

http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=104
snow conditions
Finally, the long awaited ski review of the Whitedot Preachers (prototypes), by a girl! So stats: 5ft 2 inches (take 2 inches - I think I've got them, others say not, but then whats 2
inches between friends...), weight 49 kgs, skied the 169 Preachers.

I've been skiing for 9 years and I'm a BASI Alpine Instructor. I like to ski anywhere in whatever terrain the mountain has to offer, be it crud, fresh powder or a nicely groomed piste. I do tend to dabble in the park, but I love to ski the mountain and you'd be hard pushed to find me in the park or on piste on a powder day. Favourite skis range from Dynastar trouble makers, Black Crows, ZAG Golds, to the recently discovered Icelantic Shamans. Skis I've not tended to enjoy are K2 Nancy and phat luvs, Scott Sheela's.

Firstly I'd like to see a person who's clicked into these and who doesn't have a smile on their faces at the end of a powder day. These skis love powder. They have sooo much float, it's ridiculous! They have lots of rebound, similar to what you might find in a slalom ski. Very responsive edge to edge and so light that they open up a whole new world of skiing tree and pillow lines.
They make you feel untouchable, so much so that when you rock up to that 30 footer, nothing can stop you! Well I didn't find my 30 footer, but I did bunny hop tree stumps and a big gap created by the wind the previous few days. They have a lot of pop which makes jibbing around the mountain lots of fun.
They open up a can of worms, as I think I'd encourage any intermediate skier, putting in their first powder turns to step into these, equally, they can be enjoyed by any veteran of the pow pow. It's a ski you could grow into, as it makes skiing powder more enjoyable, but also they're so much fun and you can explore other lines because of their manouvarbilty that an experienced skier would be hard pushed to say no. They love to go fast and inspire you to up your game. I guess thats something to do with the quality of the bases - ISO sport (the same as what you would find on a race ski).

As I was skiing the prototypes there were some minor alterations to be made: the tips were quite soft and consqently did get deflected in the cruddy/heavy powder as the week went on and changes in weather made for variable snow conditions. This is something that the R&D team picked up instantaneously and will be rectified on the next batch, along with increasing the stiffness and reducing the camber, as it was felt that they are a little bit too poppy.

Since I am 5ft something (approx 160 cm), I would encourage others to step into these should they have the opportunity and not be worried by their length, as you really don't
notice it.

Their hour glass shape (155 / 112 / 133) makes them carve the piste in between searching for fresh spots off piste, which you might find strange for such a wide ski, as normally skis of this nature are great in the pow, but unmanagable on the piste.

In short, what a fun, fun ski - it's a breathe of fresh air to find a light ski (no sore legs at the end of the day), which responds well and is so versatile that it doesn't have you regreting it when you're making a beeline to your next line via piste. This ski takes you to couloirs, as well as open powder bowls or tight trees. What a great ski, can't wait for the real deal. In the meantime, if you see a manic girl - ripping up the slopes, that will be me!
snow conditions
mini-ni, nice post, welcome to snowHead

(Note to self: don't mention this review to Mrs Empty)
ski holidays
Not very fair to Mrs Empty, who would be half full if she tried the Preachers on a pow pow day, or is Mr Empty worried about this? It's about time us girlies had some fatties to ride with!!
ski holidays
Hey Zammo, Yeah 112mm is pretty hefty for a tourer but I'll be "Duking" mine up next season as they'll make for a sweet ride down. They're so light I think they will make for a sweet freeride touring setup.
snow conditions
Have any Preacher skiers used them for skiing with kids or other skiers on easy blues and greens? I ski with the family over Easter, potentially spending the morning off piste and the afternoon on with the kids......and was wondering how the Preachers would stack up? Hopefully I can try a pair for myself, but I'd be interested in peoples views.
latest report
the_doc wrote:
Hey Zammo, Yeah 112mm is pretty hefty for a tourer but I'll be "Duking" mine up next season as they'll make for a sweet ride down. They're so light I think they will make for a sweet freeride touring setup.

I've got Barons on mine and they worked really well as a freeride touring set-up, as you suggest. Not sure how they would cope of a steep traverse but for my needs, they defenitely delivered.
snow report
kitenski, Not that I know. All that have been on them have been skiing them pretty hard on and off piste. I can honestly say that no ones used them just for pottering around greens and blues although I spent a day just hitting blues and reds in Courmayer on the 169s and they were fun just to see how they would hold up to my weight (17st). Send me a PM with your phone number and we'll discuss what length would be best for you to try keeping in mind you're going off piste and easy blues and greens.
latest report
kitenski, they're fine for just tootling around as they're only a medium flex & even when they're stiffened up a tad they won't be a problem. As they're a full twin you'd want the 189.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mini-ni, she may love 'em, although it would be a fair step up in width. Her current skis are some Lotta Luvs from a few seasons back, which I guess are just under 80mm underfoot. She's tried some Volkl Aura and Salomon Lady skis for the odd day this season, neither of which caused her any problems.

112mm though? That might be a leap too far - she's looked at me as if I'm mad when I've taken out some Black Crows and Faction skis in the past year Smile.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski, they're fine for just tootling around as they're only a medium flex & even when they're stiffened up a tad they won't be a problem. As they're a full twin you'd want the 189.

hmm, not sure I'd go that long, I was on 171cm 1080s, then went to 179 Missions......
ski holidays
kitenski, the 189s seem like a lot of ski but I spent a week on them in January and coped well.. probably too much for me at 65 kilos. I am getting 179s ( I think.. split over what skis I actually want/need) come October..

They are surprisingly easy to ski.

I also spent a few runs on Blue/Green type terrain (runs back to the chalet) and they are still really easy to ski and pretty forgiving. The edge is a long way over but it is definitely there. They also make short turns easy despite the size..
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I was on 171cm 1080s, then went to 179 Missions......

It's an obvious next step then wink

I think you'd be pleasantly suprised with the longer planks.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Have any Preacher skiers used them for skiing with kids or other skiers on easy blues and greens? I ski with the family over Easter, potentially spending the morning off piste and the afternoon on with the kids......and was wondering how the Preachers would stack up? Hopefully I can try a pair for myself, but I'd be interested in peoples views.

I hope to see kiwi1 and his demo Preachers in Chamonix in mid April, as I will have a two year old to hand I will try and let you know wink
snow report
arv, cheers, what height are you? I'm 5ft 10", about 81kgs

midgetbiker, will be interested in how you get on.
ski holidays
kitenski, 6 ft and 67.9 kg this morning, naked, dripping wet.
latest report
arv wrote:
kitenski, 6 ft and 67.9 kg this morning, naked, dripping wet.

hmm, a touch too much info there, and you need to eat more pies, but thanks Wink
latest report
kitenski, you need to eat less Wink

I have youth on my side Toofy Grin
snow conditions
arv, I don't eat pies Smile

...and am very close to 42 Sad
snow report
mmmmmmm Pies Razz

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 2-04-09 18:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Life begins at 40.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy