Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst ski resort access roads

Poster: A snowHead
In your experience which ski resorts have the worst acces/most difficult/scary access roads in deep winter.

Here's a few that spring to mind.

Hochkar, Lower Austria often has a requirement for all non-4WD cars to put snow chains on. It has a few drops and the road is narrow in places, plus kamikaze buses drive up and down.

Obertauern, Austria isn't so much winding roads as a gradual incline. Some side roads coming off the main resort road are steep.

Sölden, Austria - has winding switchbacks up to the resort.

Lech - coming from the west (St Anton) is often totally closed although I suspect this is more down to avalanche danger than cars getting stuck.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a ski resort, but the worst conditions I've come across have been trying to drive to my gf's grandfather's house, up in the hills behing Nussdorf am Attersee. Even going under 10km/h, the car was barely controllable on the downs, nearly crashed into a very expensive Merc (should probably have put the chains on lol). Been similar conditions the 3 times I've been there...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having been up them (and having spun all over the place on the way up to Obertauern in a blizzard) none of those really come close to the roads up to places like Cardrona, Treble Cone or Mount Hutt in NZ. Dirt trails often muddy, icy, snowy, narrow and with vertiginous and unprotected drops.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 1-12-12 22:55; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some dodgy sections on the way up to Sierra Nevada.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/WX0x_Q3fcDg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, +1. the road to tignes, not so much the road but the other drivers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Some dodgy sections on the way up to Sierra Nevada.

Spain or USA?

nozawaonsen, YEEK!

waynos wrote:
nozawaonsen, +1. the road to tignes, not so much the road but the other drivers.

+1 on that!

Cairngorm ski road aint great either, especially when stuck behind folk who seem to think that the merest hint of snow means they have to drive in slow motion whilst hitting the brakes every time they see a corner or for that matter anything else like a tree, a rock, a snowflake or... well you get the idea! Invariably they get stuck or the people behind them get stuck as a result if there's any ice on the road and the whole thing grinds to a halt, nightmare especially when you're on your daily commute lol Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

none of those really come close to the roads up to places like Cardrona, Treble Cone or Mount Hutt in NZ. Dirt trails often muddy, icy, snowy, narrow and with vertiginous and unprotected drops.

I've not done those, but some of my family have, and they say the same - far worse than anything in Europe. No wonder NZ has such a bad road accident death rate. Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Be Nice please! a duck!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This one isn't great

http://youtube.com/v/kllFYrz5xjg

and these are the easy bits of the road
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This was my worst...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
M20 near Maidstone!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re European 'mainstream' resorts I thought the road up the Oetz valley to Hochgurgl was bad. Despite having snowchains on I still spun the car round on the final leg. Luckily no damage was done.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The road up to Zinal is a bit hair-raising.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Not a ski resort, but the worst conditions I've come across have been trying to drive to my gf's grandfather's house, up in the hills behing Nussdorf am Attersee. Even going under 10km/h, the car was barely controllable on the downs, nearly crashed into a very expensive Merc (should probably have put the chains on lol). Been similar conditions the 3 times I've been there...

Funny enough I was there this summer and thought that in winter the roads around there would be a challenge.
snow report
Love mountain roads. Even better in summer on a motorbike... Very Happy
snow report
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Funny enough I was there this summer and thought that in winter the roads around there would be a challenge.

Classy part of the country. Very Happy
ski holidays
Water was a bit cold in summer though (no prizes for size). Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
This was my worst...

But at least you can see!

I came over the Bernina Pass last winter in early January in heavy snow. The snowploughs were doing wonders trying to keep the road open, but the cornices overhanging the road showed it was a challenge. I had winter tyres on, so grip wasn't really a big issue, but overtaking a snowplough when you can't see past it due to the snow was a bit hair-raising. And then when we got to the top is was even worse: snowing and blowing so hard I couldn't see beyond the front of the bonnet. Only thing I could see (due to the contrast) was the roadside snow-poles, and I just had to pick a line down the middle of these and hope I stayed on the road. I was really glad when we got down a bit lower and other vehicles started to be visible to allow me to work out where the road was going. Various route planner showed me the trip from Bormio to Innsbruck should have taken about 3 hours by that route: it took use nearly 9!
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Classic, I bet the drivers cheeks were tighter than a camel's bottom in a sandstorm.
snow conditions
roga, Spain.
snow conditions
^ aha, different continent that'll be why I remember it as okay Wink
latest report
nozawaonsen, The bus driver was crazy to keep going, he had it stopped, should have stayed put or stuck some chains on. Seriously dangerous. Shocked
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, hhhmmmm.....our campervan kept trying to do that coming down from Treblecone. And that was with chains on! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

overtaking a snowplough when you can't see past it due to the snow was a bit hair-raising

that's prohibited in France. wink

I enjoy, in a masochistic kind of way, climbing behind a snowplough in the dark, with the orange light flashing. It means it's snowing! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

A transfer bus between Kapaonik and Nis did that with us in it, some years ago when it was still Yugoslavia. Bus did very long and very scary skid, ending up across the road with rear end overhanging a ginormous drop. Driver started up, slid slightly further back.... scared murmurings from the passengers. The stupid rep stood up and told us to stay in our seats. I stood up and said that I thought we should all get out, starting with the kids who were all massed in the back seats, as usual. This suggestion got overwhelming support so we went and stood well off the road, in deep snow and I sent a couple of folk up, and down, the road, to flag down oncoming traffic before the next murderous Serbian driver sent the whole caboodle over the edge. It was one of those times when ones British wish to keep quiet and do as told and not make a scene was overcome by a deep feeling of alarm! There was an enormous 3 inch thick slab of sheer ice broken away, under the wheels of the bus.

After the bus got going, a little girl about 5 years old wanted to pee. The driver very grumpily stopped in a small and very dilapidated town and the poor little thing got bitten by a dog on the way back to the bus. Not a good journey. A dangerous road, covered in ice, combined with mindless driving. The driver had been going much too fast - in fact I had already asked the rep to ask him to slow down, before the big skid.
latest report
Get out early before the ploughs and punters, get a bow wave going and blast up the hill road - almost as much fun as the days skiing!

(This from a man who followed a plough into a field during a blizzard late one night! (But redeemed myself later that same night by pulling the busy's pandacar out of a ditch - eventful night that was!)

Deer make for added fun/terror on the ski road up to cairngorm
snow report
Quote:

This from a man who followed a plough into a field during a blizzard late one night!

barry, Laughing
snow conditions
Wengen. We don't even have a road!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

Obertauern, Austria isn't so much winding roads as a gradual incline. Some side roads coming off the main resort road are steep.

I've driven that road many times - the buses certainly do approach it in a novel fashion. The trick, of course, is to turn off before you get to Obertauern and skin up to Sudwienerhutte for a spot of lunch and a few circuits off the top ridge Happy
ski holidays
zammo,
Quote:

I've driven that road many times - the buses certainly do approach it in a novel fashion. The trick, of course, is to turn off before you get to Obertauern and skin up to Sudwienerhutte for a spot of lunch and a few circuits off the top ridge

Nah... the real trick is to turn off before that and stay at my gaff in Radstadt! wink

I love the road access to Flachauwinkl... straight off the sliproad of the A10 and into the car-park!

http://goo.gl/maps/1Xtye
snow report
Someones already mentioned the remarkables in NZ ski road, sheer drops, no armco, road not tarmac'ed (at least it wasn't when I was last there). Going up in the resort bus sometimes the edge of the road disappeared as it went round hairpins as it was pretty narrow in places too.

Scariest moment I've seen on a ski area access road was following a coach full of kids down the hill (we'd been teaching them that day) in a little resort in the ziller valley, Austria. The braking system on the coach failed totally and it went straight on at a hairpin taking out a rubbish collection chalet style building on the corner and ending up half off the road a la 'the italian job' film!

As the coach went off the edge I had visions of trying to pull bodies out of the wreckage.

No-one hurt apart from the driver who suffered cuts from the smashed windscreen, but lots of very scared kids, some of whom were literally throwing up with fright, poor sods.
snow conditions
Quote:

As the coach went off the edge I had visions of trying to pull bodies out of the wreckage.

I can just imagine - it flashes through the head, doesn't it. Shocked They were lucky.
snow conditions
Having driven up to quite a few of the NZ resorts (including some of the club fields) nowhere in Europe even registers on the scare-ometer!
latest report
Here's a few more clips from You Tube of the NZ access roads.

First up more problems at Remarkables...

http://youtube.com/v/oSEI_VD9d7U

And the views of some staff heading up Mt Hutt...

http://youtube.com/v/029Qan_pfeE

And a nice shot from above the clouds...

http://youtube.com/v/BR8y1DOr0VI
ski holidays
nozawaonsen,
The guy in the first clip was lucky that truck was there to save him sliding. Do they have to put winter tyres on in New Zealand?

The second clip voice over sounds like Sylvester stallone.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
zammo,
Quote:

I've driven that road many times - the buses certainly do approach it in a novel fashion. The trick, of course, is to turn off before you get to Obertauern and skin up to Sudwienerhutte for a spot of lunch and a few circuits off the top ridge

Nah... the real trick is to turn off before that and stay at my gaff in Radstadt! wink

I love the road access to Flachauwinkl... straight off the sliproad of the A10 and into the car-park!

http://goo.gl/maps/1Xtye

That carpark has got to be the closest lift carpark to a motorway, surely! Although I tend to ride Zauchensee, it's the easiest access ever.
snow conditions
DB, Winter tyres not required in NZ but it is compulsory to carry chains on the roads to most resorts and compulsory to fit them when told. Lots of idiots who think the 4wd make them invincible.
ski holidays
I've been over the edge before at mt lyford Toofy Grin

And it's a way scarier road than hutt, cardies or TC.

Damn near poo-poo myself, the truck was doing the Italian job thing teetering on a rock, I had to stand on the back bumper and chain it up to a bullie to get it back up on the road.

Not many people die on nz ski field roads, the state highways are statistically a lot worse.

Mt Olympus is another good one - you have to radio up to the top to make sure nothing is coming down, because the road is a goat track. You normally need a high clearance 4wd with chains on each corner for that one.

I also had a 6 hour trip down from Oahu once. Got out to check my chains, put the truck in park, and it kept going down the hill, with the kids in it. The road was so icy that there was zero traction even with chains on. I crashed 4 times getting down there snowHead

Nz ski field roads are a good laugh at the end of the day, it's all part of the experience.
ski holidays
I vote for Mt olympus, drove it in a 1980 Subie with dubious tyres and only chains on the front.

A bit hair raising to say the least.
latest report
Leukerbad. Plainly scary. Even minor accident is likely to be fatal. On the way there it was snowing and it was dark, but on the way back it was still a daylight and it was the longest bus journey in my life, over a big vertical drop for the most part of it. I thought it would never end.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy