Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

off to Montgenevre in Jan 2013

Staying at Chalet Vannoir with Crystal, anyone any knowledge,also wish to book 2hr lesson on first day any suggestions
Intermediate skiers, best runs etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in Chalet Vannoir 5 years ago. It was a good chalet with plenty of room (although if I remember correctly we bought up the beds we didn't need to didn't have full capacity which probably helped on space.) It's only 2 minutes walk downhill to the slopes and a couple of good bars for après. We booked private lessons with apeak and they were very good. Can't remember best runs but I remember a few pesky short blacks that I'd love to go and have another go at now with 5 more skiing weeks under my belt. It's definitely on my list of places to return to. Have fun!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi thanks for info

where abouts is the chalet, trying to find it on google earth
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey kirkfell

Sorry I can't help with any info about your chalet but my little review may be of some use. It's in no was any substitute for the wealth of knowledge on snowheads, I've only been there once after all, but like i say there may be a something useful - even if it is just where to get a good burger!

Anyway my review is here: http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011/ and there are some more images here : http://www.snowtripper.co.uk/montgenevre-2011-2/

Please bear in mind that my little blog is work in progress...

Hope you have a fab trip!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Kirkfell, I can't remember exactly, but if you look at this map http://www.chaletrentalsdirect.com/viewMap.php?r=36&i=t01.jpg I think it's somewhere around number 88. Basically, it's two roads horizontally off the ski front but I can't remember exactly how far along!! Pretty sure that's about right though.

Can't get google earth to work properly in Montgenevre the data isn't very good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also loads of good off-piste, from easy to expert.

This shows the location (most of the lifts are directly across the road in the green bit, though the map dopesn't mark them)

Edit: oops, link didn't work - hope this one does: http://chaletworld.co.uk/france/montgenevre/vannoir
The main through-road is in a tunnel now.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 6-12-12 11:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The location (88 on the map) looks right -we stayed there 3 years ago and had a pretty good time - the skiing was really nice; some flattering runs off the Gondrans lift and a couple of nice eateries around. To be honest, the only let downs were Chalet Vannoir and Crystal - the chalet was without hot water for a few days and the Crystal staff didn't seem overly bothered, despite the presence of a couple of toddlers in the chalet, and everyone who used the hot tub on the first couple of days came down with an itchy rash, presumably a problem with chemicals. I'm sure the hot water thing will have been resolved by now(!) and I've never bothered with hot tubs so that didn't bother me, but if it was a selling point, I would want confidence in the hygiene routines.

On our return, it took a while to get Crystal beyond the £100 voucher compensation offer.

Montgenevre, however, I would happily return to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can book private lessons with ESF or APeak, both are excellent and have English speaking instructors. If you want the lesson the first day, it's probably best to call them up in advance.

http://www.ski-school-montgenevre.co.uk/ski-school-montgenevre/adults/;jsessionid=386503314C29C2F446D4D593D1C0A7E4.esfinter1
http://www.a-peak.com/en/

If you are intermediate make sure you get the 6 day 'Monts de la Lune' pass, giving you full access to Claviere and 1 day on the Milky Way and in Serre Chevalier. it would be a shame to miss out on a decent hot chocolate and Lunch in Italy. The best mountain restaurants are in Italy. The slopes in Montgenevre are pretty flattering. Follow the colour coding you are happy with and you will be fine. There are no 'nasty' blues.

The best warm up is in the Gondrans Bowl. Start with the Green 'Motorway' on the far left as you look up the mountain. Then move on to the blues and reds as you feel happy with your ski feet.
There is mountain restaurant at the bottom of the bowl for the weary.

Montgenevre is perfect for intermediate skiers. You'll have a great time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can highly recommend A peak - get in touch with Seb and let him know what you want - we have found them very accommodating in the past - good lessons, proper focus, but fun!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr George wrote:
Can highly recommend A peak - get in touch with Seb and let him know what you want - we have found them very accommodating in the past - good lessons, proper focus, but fun!

+1 - Seb's been great arranging lessons for our upcoming trip, and A Peak were excellent last year with my lessons with Philippe!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah, Montgenevre is lovely. I learnt to ski there, and I have very fond memories. There used to a be a kind of natural snow park at the back of the resort, and I have hugely funny memories of skiing wildly out of control down a frozen little river bed and ending up in a heap at the bottom Smile

There's also a famed red run that will take you down into Sestriere in Italy for lunch, I didn't actually do that run, one day I will go back....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am there in Jan any advice on mountain restaurants please...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowqueen11 wrote:
Ah, Montgenevre is lovely. I learnt to ski there, and I have very fond memories. There used to a be a kind of natural snow park at the back of the resort, and I have hugely funny memories of skiing wildly out of control down a frozen little river bed and ending up in a heap at the bottom Smile

I think I know the gully you mean in the Gondrans area. I took my skis off to walk round a tree in that gulley. The next thing I knew my legs were sinking in the snow. Hastily put skis back on Laughing The snow park is good fun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gontrans cafe is good for 11ensees
but busy at lunch
most folk ski back to the village as it just 10 steps from bottom of main lift
hence why not many mountain restaurants in Monty
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I own a place in Montgenevre. So...I'll tell you it is gr8!!

For lessons, Seb at A Peak is the man to book with. Great guy.

I'm there for much of January, so could show you round.

Restaurants in Montgenevre which are good: Le Capitainerie (pizzas..); Transalpin (best Italian in MG...speak to Alessandro); Le Refuge (French...good, but watch for 2 sittings); L'Estable if you like pierrades/own cooking/fondues; La Cloche...expensive but charming, esp if you want a cuddly setting...speak to Vivi.

If you have a car, also try the restaurants in Claviere, 1km away...the best is Gran Bouc.

Mountain restaurants in Montgenevre...self-service near Godrans is OK; Bergerie at Chalvet is good but not exceptional. If you ski over to Claviere, you are spoiled for choice; the best two are 200m apart at La Coche...one called La Coche (!) run by Gabriella and Luca, which serves simple pasta etc at lunchtime and also runs a skidoo service from Claviere for blowouts in the evenings, and Montsoleil...outstanding if you want a big steak 'n' wine lunch.
snow conditions
Thanks i bendzeeknees,be great to meet up.
snow report
Dandrums

I have sent you a private message with my contact details etc.
snow report
ibendzeeknees wrote:
Gabriella and Luca, which serves simple pasta etc at lunchtime and also runs a skidoo service from Claviere for blowouts in the evenings

This man speaks the truth Very Happy

worth every penny, if you are up for it

Very Happy
ski holidays
Sorry to hijack the thread but were off to montgenevre next Saturday with a 5year old boy in tow and does anybody have any recommendations for a ski school
and also the montgenevre website mentions a "sweety" club in resort, does anybody have idea what in entails ?
snow report
gad, Apeak ski school, contact Seb by email on their website. You can't go wrong. All english speakers, small groups for young ones, highly recommended. No idea about the Sweety club but I do recall Montgenevre having some kind of sponsorship thing with Haribo so it could just be skiing characters handing out free Haribos perhaps.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
gad, Apeak ski school, contact Seb by email on their website. You can't go wrong. All english speakers, small groups for young ones, highly recommended. No idea about the Sweety club but I do recall Montgenevre having some kind of sponsorship thing with Haribo so it could just be skiing characters handing out free Haribos perhaps.

Ok thanks, it sounds like montgenevre is set up well for kids then snowHead
snow report
I would also recommend Apeak for a 5 yr old. Check they have spaces left though as they get very busy in School hols. They do a Yeti hunt on the last day which my children loved. There is some kind of tipi trip you can book in Montgenevre but we haven't tried it yet. The other attraction for kids is the Monty Express (rollercoaster). Montgenevre is a great resort for families. The ESF ski school is also good if you can't get into Apeak. There are lots of British families in the resort during School hols so whichever ski school you use your child is likely to end up in an English speaking lesson.
latest report
gad, Go to montgenevre web page and there is a link on there to the Sweety Club. I filled out the form a couple of days ago and my daughter received a membership card today in the post, I think they get discounts etc. we also arrive next Saturday Very Happy
latest report
Great info; me and mrs will be there after half term, around 19 March. Looking forward to it immensely, apart from Frejus tunnel on journey. Dont like long tunnels!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Looking forward to it immensely, apart from Frejus tunnel on journey. Dont like long tunnels!!

do you have to go through the tunnel??
latest report
pam w, it's either the tunnel or the Col du Lauteret.
latest report
The apeak video is great http://www.a-peak.com/en/Apeak-TV/ so I think I'll email them to check availability for next week
We're staying at les rois magees which doesn't look nice the nicest hotel but seems to be ideally located Smile
snow report
Another vote for La Coche in Claviere for lunch - great and very friendly. Also had a lovely pizza at Pizzeria Kilt in Claviere a few years ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gad

I own a place in Montgenevre...read above in this thread for my earlier words.

A Peak are a brilliant ski school, run by Seb. They are outstanding with young kids...on the last day of ski school, an instructor dressed as a Yeti chases around and gives the kids a hug. Fantastic.

I an NOT on commission or in any way connected to A Peak!! But Seb is a great guy, and he gets my business when I want lessons for me, family or friends. Tell him Andy (that's me!) recommended him.

I am in Montgenevre now and over Christmas if you want to meet up. The snow now is...fantastic!!

Les Rois Mages is nothing special, but has a superb location.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy