Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short ski trip 7-9 December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been following this forum daily for over a year. I'm very much in awe of the Snowheads collective thinking that always gives so many good answers so today I decided to try it myself wink

We're doing a shortski by car from Belgium next weekend. Snow and good weather have indicated that they'll be there. But were should we go for the best of both Very Happy ?

We would like a ski area that is more or less open (so not just a glacier and download option) under 9 hours driving. This excludes resorts under Alpe d'Huez although it's very hard to say no to the masses of snow in the likes of Isola and Montgenèvre. Also, no Austria Embarassed We're planning to leave friday at noon, ski both saturday and sunday, leave sunday at 4pm and get back home in the middle of the night.

Skiing areas we're thinking of:

Crans Montana: easily accessible, up to 3000m, 8.15 hrs

Mottaret: 3V should open its links that weekend, very straightforward drive, 8.45 hrs

Verbier: if there is more terrain open than Crans maybe, but we don't know any affordable 3* hotels around here

Laax: the shortest decent ski area from here, under 8 hrs, but the official site says that untill 22/12 the only thing open will be the glacier?

Is there an area we're overlooking? Which one of those (or others that qualify) would be best next weekend?

We've never done such a trip for a weekend before, is there anything else we should think about? Extremely excited though Very Happy

Thank you so much!

Julie

Ps. Sorry for my limited English Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Julie - I am afraid I can't offer any advice but I would like to say I think your English is excellent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hahaha, I hope that's what my English teacher says in 3 weeks too wink Thank you, that's very nice! The vocabulary is alright but usually there are lots of sneaky grammar mistakes so I thought I'd warn in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JulieAimeLeSki, which my French was as good as your English...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JulieAimeLeSki, Zermatt will be open, not cheap however
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, but despite my username I don't live in the French-speaking part of Belgium. I just thought it sounded nice, and the aimer part refers a little to the coeur des 3v, Meribel wink But thank you too!

Zermatt is a pretty genius idea, thanks! I thought it would take too long with the tunnel and the train. However, according to Google maps we should be able to get there in 9 hours. So its doable but if the next snowfalls on tuesday drop a sufficient amount of the white stuff in Verbier or Crans, we could win approximately 2 hours. Whichever we choose, next weekend is going to be good Very Happy

It seems my question is a little too specific, I'll do better the next time Smile x
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to google maps, Brussels to St Anton can be done in around 8 hours.

The forecast looks good .....
http://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JulieAimeLeSki, good to have you on snowHead 's. Your English id fine, id is mine is dab. wink

Morzine Avoriaz is open Saturday and Sunday next weekend 8th / 9th. Lots of snow coming this week on top of a good base.
We hope to get up the mountain too for a little slide.
We think it is €33 for a weekend pass.

Our B&B can offer you a twin room for €60 per night, including Nina's scrambled eggs or porridge. Worth the drive just for that alone Very Happy
But you can also sample Mamma's Fish and Chips and an evening in the Dixie bar, followed by a great party in The Cavern. Why wait.

Contact Nina via the site below if you would like to book in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I am aware Austria can be very close but this time conditions are better elsewhere. St Anton/Lech and Ischgl are on my must-visit-very-soon list though, unfortunately that list is rather long Very Happy

Thank you DallyPaul! I'll pass it on wink Hopefully you can find the time to get out too because the reports I've been reading give at least half a metre to your area early next week. Love your summary of my dream weekend btw! But in the one evening we will spend in the beautiful mountains, I should probably be very boring and study. I'm at university and 22/12 does not mark the beginning of the Christmas holidays but the beginning of 3 weeks studying before my exams in January. With that in perspective I thought I could use a little motivational ski trip next weekend Smile

Apparently both friday and sunday are going to be very snowy in Belgium/Lorraine/Alsace which I hope does not make a very cool roadtrip into messed up traffic...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What base does Morzine have at the moment and how much is forecast next week.

St Anton has 40 cm base and around 100 cm is forecast next week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live in Brussels since 2008 and I've done quite a few ski weekends to Austria, Switzerland and France.

By my reckoning the closest good resort in both distance and driving time is Engelberg, but surprisingly enough I never went there to ski.

However, I've driven for weekends to St Anton, Val Thorens, Morzine, Verbier, even Alpe d'Huez. I'd say of all these Morzine is the closest but there really isn't a lot of difference (except for AdH which is at least 1 solid extra hour). French motorways are usually less busy except in the northern part, German motorways keep having works and reduced speed sections so you often end up with a lower speed average. However France costs you quite a lot extra due to motorway tolls.

My usual plan for a 3-day weekend is: leave Thursday around 5 pm, either get there by 2 am or sleep somewhere 1-2 hrs from the resort, wake up early and get to the resort before 9-10 am. Leave the resort Sunday by 4-5 pm. MUCH better to have two drivers - the trip back is tough. Very good idea to have winter tyres.

Enjoy! (and good luck with the exams. But honestly I think you'll be too tired to study during the weekend...). Let me know if you have other questions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB: Oh, it seems I'm misinformed Blush I thought Austria hadn't really benefited that much from last week's snowfalls and that this week's were mostly going to hit Savoie/Haute Savoie/Valais/Grisons.

It's probably going to be Crans, so nothing original wink but thank you all for the replies!

Horizon: Yes, Engelberg definitely is one of the closest but I am under the (perhaps wrong) impression that half of Northern Europe drives there for the weekend?

For the rest, very useful tips! We have two drivers so that should be okay. We've also done trips before where we only leave at 4pm on the last day of skiing.

As for the exams, thanks! I did say that I "should", I'm not entirely sure that's really going to happen Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy