Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valle d'Aosta

Poster: A snowHead
Apolgies if there's another thread. If it's there and I didn't spot it I blame tiredness and most of a bottle of red Nus DOC...

Anyway, as of today, 1st December, and relying in some places on some Italian websites which may not be the last thing in up-to-dateness, here is a summary of the current situation. Comments and updates welcome...

Cervinia: partially open. I was there a couple of weeks ago and this week's dump has opened up vastly more.
Valtournanche: I _think_ it opens today. (Why is it so difficult to find out? I live in the area, cazzo, and I still have to make
an effort to find out!). The website says lifts on standby..
Courmayeur: Partial opening, today 1st December. More snow from Sunday and forecast dump Tuesday/Wednesday.
Champorcher: 7/12
Champoluc: 7/12 (the Gressoneys similar, I'd imagine).
Pila: 6/12 (that should be pretty definite. A good snowfall this last week, and they're making sure the base is good.). Plus I can see the slopes from my kitchen sink!
St. Rhemy Crevacol: (you've never heard of it: not a resort destination but some fun skiing, including off-piste if you are in the valley): 7/12
Edit: drat...
La Thuile: 01/12 partial opening. More snow from Sunday and forecast dump Tuesday/Wednesday.

The temperature is dropping, and this evening during football training in the valley bottom at around 550m the ground was beginning to sparkle and crunch underfoot and my feet were fffffreezing. They'll be able to make snow everywhere at the moment, besides the snow forecast for next week: this time a generous bounty to the western resorts..

PS: Avalanche danger LEVEL 4 at Cervinia. 2/3 rest of the valley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ciao fluter. Good to have local input from that part of the world! Thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gressoney is open per december 1st.
http://monterosa-ski.com/en/monterosa-ski/news-inglese.html
http://monterosa-ski.com/en/monterosa-ski/news-inglese/everybody-on-the-slopes-saturday-december-1st-2012.htm

and looking good too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for this. I'm going to Gressoney on the 7th of December for a few days. I'm hoping to get some powder whilst I'm there Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any updates?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_i.asp

http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_i.asp

Partially open, it looks like, although I haven't checked the full details. Most of the snow at the moment at the western end of the valley but they may be a little more there before you arrive and they're probably preparing it/preserving it for the weekend as it's a Milanese holiday. Higher up I reckon they'll be some powder but it's not part of the valley I know well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is about 40 CM's forecast before I arrive and a little bit when I'm there. Hopefully they get a bit more than expected!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valtournenche, Cervinia's little sister at 1560m, is shaping up nicely too
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dank U vel Onnem, good to know as I often start to ski from Valtournanche as it saves a little bit of driving to Cervinia itself, and the parking is _much_ easier.

Pila opens tomorrow.Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Onnem, Superb, thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today at Courmayeur it was dumping it down on the back of the metre they've had in the last week. All the way back down the valley too, so the drive home was fun, watching the van drivers do pirouettes on the roundabouts, that sort of thing. Pila yesterday on opening day had good conditions, and that's now been topped up as well.

Basically, if you look at any of these webcams you'll see snow: http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_i.asp

Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any more news on the area? According to the Cervinia website, a lot of the slopes are not open, but are on "standby".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends what time you checked. I seem to recall that they use that for before the opening time of the lift when it is intended that it will be opening. Check at a different time.
The regional tourist board gives 14 out of 15 open..

http://www.lovevda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/bollettino_discesa_i.asp
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow forecast over the the next three days; more (even heavy) in the western resorts: La Thuile, Courmayeur but decent at Valtournanche and Cervinia and top-ups everywhere. Looking good for a last minute trip.Happy I shall be on my way to the UK for Christmas so the slopes are all yours...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks fluter, will try in the middle of the day.

I will be heading for Cervinia on 30 December for 2 weeks! Cannot wait!
ski holidays
Yesterday, Friday the local region issued a weather warning for up to 50cm snow in the Valdigne (the top of the valley towards Monte Bianco) and lesser amounts elsewhere in the following 24 hours. Having driven home from a party further down the valley I confirm it's snowing heavily and the road was er.. fun.

Other forecasts for Courmayeur and La Thuile show heavy snow until Tuesday, so any trasnfers this weekend might be a bit longer than normal, but certainly building a good base for the season.
snow report
Was in Chamonix with Luke yesterday morning- snow had been crap there on Thursday so we were heading off to Verbier for the day...
...queues out of town on the argentiere rd so headed thro the tunnel to courmayeur instead.
A day of waist-deep powder tree runs finished off with the col d'arp itinery. Fresh tracks all the way down.
Head out if you can.
ski holidays
Current conditions are that the pistes are empty, there's been fresh snow the last couple of nights and my legs are aching. My last run yesterday was at 7.30pm when we skied down to our hotel with just the moon to light our way.
snow report
Nells wrote:
Current conditions are that the pistes are empty, there's been fresh snow the last couple of nights and my legs are aching. My last run yesterday was at 7.30pm when we skied down to our hotel with just the moon to light our way.
Now that I like Cool
snow report
A few cm's of fresh fluff today and its still snowing.
ski holidays
Back from the Monterosa. Pistes are in perfect condition, grippy and not too hard. All the runs are open, apart from the itinerary route up above 3000m. Nobody around, we queued once in 3 days for a lift. Quite weird really. I thought the lifts had closed and no-one had told us. Off-piste isn't my thing but looked like it needed a lot of new snow, very bare in patches and very crusty when we skied between pistes.
snow conditions
-9 in resort, snowing today total so far only about 5 cm, but it's very fine snow like talcum powder to ski on. Slopes are empty, happy days.
snow report
Pila cold today at below -12 most of the day.
pistes in great condition for the Eurotest training we're running at the moment.
snow report
Ooh. I'm off skiing tomorrow; not sure whether Pila or maybe Courmayeur or La Thuile. The latter have had more snow, but come to think of it, Wednesday market at Courma so free parking difficult or the hairpins to La Thuile...hmm. It was cold enough at Pila on Monday, and even running around at footie training tonight I felt cooold so I'll look out another layer and my balaclava before I hit the sack... Thanks
ski holidays
Off to cervinia on Sunday so any updates appreciated.
snow conditions
-13 in Champoluc & Gressoney today. Perfect pistes, very quiet, hardly anybody here. Clear blue skies, lovely
snow conditions
Snowing heavily as we left Champoluc this morning, heavy snow all the way to Turin. Should be fantastic conditions this week as pistes were already in perfect condition
ski holidays
Seems to be 10cm of fresh ontop of a pisted base on Cervinia. Just need the sun to come out now please Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the amateur footie games in the whole of Northern Italy were snowed off on Sunday: well, at least in Piemonte/VDA - so anyone flying in will see the whole area impressively white. Depths vary as ever in the mountains. Today the visibility at Pila was a bit of a lottery; particularly for the local ski races, so not as much fun as it could have been. Not quite enough snow for really decent off-piste, but it's all on a decent and compacted base, so even 5cm or so on the pistes is helping.
snow report
No pictures today from cervinia, will try to remember tomorrow, but lovely soft fresh snow ontop of a pisted base, plus the sun was out from 10am till 2pm before another wee bit of snow. Should be amazing tomorrow once its all pisted flat again
ski holidays
Windy this morning but forecast to drop off. Fingers crossed, as the sun is out.
snow report
The sun has been out all week which is nice. Unfortunately the high winds on Monday night delayed the lifts opening by an hour or so, but more annoyingly, scoured the off piste back to ice and rocks. On piste is firm but been well groomed and looked after, plus the cold temperatures have helped keep it grippy.

More sunshine this morning, can't complain.
snow report
Somebody has offered me an apartment in Aosta itself. Costing me about £50 for the week or so. I can use airmiles to fly to Turin.

My question is how easy is it to get to all the various resorts in the valley? What are the best options re ski passes?

Basically I can have a week's skiing for the cost of the ski pass + £50

I intend then to go to Tignes at the end of the week - what are the best options to get fromn Aosta to Tignes?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
ski holidays
I think you'd need a car to get between resorts. The local cervinia pass allows 2 days at any other Valle d'Aosta resorts. So maybe pick your favourite, then have 2 away days. If your staying in aosta, then pila is the easiest resort to access.
snow conditions
Quote:

what are the best options to get fromn Aosta to Tignes?

seems a long way, to not get very far, but Mont Blanc Tunnel - St Gervais - Megeve - Ugine - Albertville - Moutiers - Bourg St Maurice - Tignes. Quite expensive, with the tunnel and all. Over 3 hours according to google maps. Might be longer especially if the tunnel is a bit busy.

If you're not driving, I think it's easy enough to get a bus through the tunnel to Chamonix. If all else fails, one bus into Geneva and another out to Tignes wouldn't be the end of the world.
latest report
Make sure all your stuff fits into a rucksack and then...

-take the bus to La Thuile
-buy a day-pass for Espace Bernardo
-Ski over to La Rosiere
-take the bus down to Bourg st maurice
-take the bus to Tignes

easy Wink
snow report
Sunny and warmish in Champoluc today. Very icy on lower pistes this morning. Locals say it hasn't dumped properly in 7 weeks but pisteurs are keeping the slopes in good shape.

Lifts connecting over to gressoney closed early due to winds, but seems to have calmed down since then.

A smattering of snow forecast for this weekend which could help things greatly.
snow report
Snowing all day in Champoluc / Gressoney. At least 5 cm and building, lovely powder underfoot. Rain lower down in Champoluc village this pm. If temps drop the pistes should receive a welcome white blanket this weekend.
snow report
Onnem wrote:
Make sure all your stuff fits into a rucksack and then...

-take the bus to La Thuile
-buy a day-pass for Espace Bernardo
-Ski over to La Rosiere
-take the bus down to Bourg st maurice
-take the bus to Tignes

easy Wink

This is not that daft at all. You can get a 2 hrs lift pass for €24 which will easily get you to the bottom of Fontaine Froide where you can catch the Navette to BsM station (i think it's free). The bus to Tignes departs from there. Much more exciting than any other way.
latest report
Hi 5RED, Were off to Gressoney LT in 2 weeks, what's it like over there? Any hints, pointers or suggestions??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy