Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

News from the SCGB: last female Council members retire. Now 11 men.

Poster: A snowHead
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 12:22; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith, We still have the SCGB forum on snowHeads, best post this on there
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=14 wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
--

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 11-01-13 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ahhh, a bunch of members running a club for a bigger bunch of members. Nice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
In an unprecedented situation, possibly since women were first admitted to the Club many decades ago, the Ski Club of Great Britain now has an all-male (11 strong) Council. The Council (which is also the board of directors) determines the Club's policies and general planning. The Council comprises HRH The Duke of Kent (Patron), Frank Gardner OBE (President), Rob Crowder (Chairman), Steven Brabbs (Treasurer) and eight other council members.

This situation follows the annual general meeting on 22 November, when two female Council members retired and no women stood for election. The most recent female candidate (Harriet Bradley) was not elected at the 2010 AGM.

Historical note: the emancipation of women in UK social and political history is most famously associated with Emmeline Pankhurst (1858-1928) and the Suffragette movement. In 1918 the Representation of the People Act granted votes to women over the age of 30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

Comparative note: the influence of women in the direction of snowHeads is unknown ... !

Chain yourself to the railings outside SCGB HQ and hang a sign round your neck with 'cnut' written on it. That'll show 'em. That's cnut as in King Cnut, as in, trying to hold back the tide of misogyny within the club.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 11-01-13 19:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur wrote:
Ahhh, a bunch of members running a club for a bigger bunch of members. Nice.

Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's nice to be back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe women are to bright to run for this, a load of bearded perverts, and masons , probably.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Maybe women are to bright to run for this, a load of bearded perverts, and masons , probably.

Actually, HRH The Duke of Kent is a Mason IIRC.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
QED
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No women! How will they get a decent cup of tea?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
--

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 11-01-13 12:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
What happened since then?
50 Shades of Grey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Club is very soon to have an open chat forum reversing decision in February 2004. So pop on over for some tea.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
More recently Sally Cartwright OBE - publishing director of Hello! magazine for 16 years and currently the chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) - served as the Club's chairman and president.

In charge of the SCGB when its forum became members only, IIRC. So indirectly her leadership led to the formation of snowHeads. Exciting stuff. You make a strong case for women leading the SCGB.
ski holidays
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-01-13 12:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
--

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 11-01-13 12:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
hibernia wrote:
Ski Club is very soon to have an open chat forum reversing decision in February 2004. So pop on over for some tea.

I predict Popcorn suppliers will do very very well......for the first week and then it will go the way of snvole or become a reincarnation of JWAZ Laughing
ski holidays
Let's hope the latter - snivel is just a bit sad.
ski holidays
hibernia, Hello stranger
Very Happy
snow conditions
hibernia wrote:

I hope we have the decency to not troll over there, but sadly I doubt it.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, As with snivel I suspect at least 3 boredsomethings will be registered before I get there rolling eyes
ski holidays
--

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 11-01-13 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
--

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-01-13 12:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, What is the issue or your point?
Is there a rule that says women cannot run for positions on the council? Or is it simply a case that they are choosing not to?

Would Comedy Goldsmith,like to enforce women to partake in the running of the club against their wishes?

Or is it a case that sir just likes making something out of nothing for the sake of a good moan?

I would suggest that this discussion is better suited to the SkiClubUK disccusion forum on their own page.

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
I don't really see the issue. Women don't want the job, as nobody has stood for it, and therefore women haven't been elected. If the members want female representatives, they can stand or push women to stand, if they don't, then they don't.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, though I remain utterly ignorant as to what the SCGB actually does outside of weather info for the BBC and providing guides that the local community seems to want outlawed.
latest report
--

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 11-01-13 12:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
it's a member-owned organisation

Got that right....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith,

I am involved in two ski organisations and the makeup of the boards has ebbed and flowed over the past 10-12 years. Both organisations operate 2 year terms for board members.

On one occasion one of the boards has been made up of all men and all women, in general it is about 60/40 as a breakdown for either sex.

Does it bother me no, as long as the organisations are run properly and in the interests of their members. Sadly I suspect your real reason for posting is general upset with the organisation in question and you think this is a chance to have a moan
ski holidays
Fattes13, are you seriously saying that any unisex organisation can be "properly run" (as defined by who?) with an all-male - or, for that matter all-female - board?

As I understand it, British society is trying to move towards co-education and an equal role for women as members of Parliament etc.
latest report
krakatoa,
Read it again, I am a member of 2 Ski based organisations and on one occasion at different periods each has had a unisex (One all-Female one all Male) board in the past ten years, and under those tenures things worked well and there were no major issues for either board.

I am not offering an opinion on all Female/Male boards but it can work, and the OP original post is not that he cares about the makeup of the board but is taking the opportunity to moan about an organisation that he has an on-going grudge with.
ski holidays
krakatoa, why would it make a difference how many men or women you have on the board of anything? Whether someone has a knob or not really doesn't make a difference to whether they are any good at running an organisation, and as a member of an organisation which has a number of women on its committee I can confirm it makes no difference whatsoever to whether rampant sexism and other macho drivel goes on or not.

If they want more women as members of parliament, more men as primary school teachers, more young people involved in a club, they need to ensure that there is no bias against those groups, and then hope that the people they want to target opt in. No point in positive discrimination - experience suggests that all you end up with is even more bias against the group you are trying to encourage.
latest report
Monium wrote:

Seems pretty straightforward to me, though I remain utterly ignorant as to what the SCGB actually does outside of weather info for the BBC and providing guides that the local community seems to want outlawed.

Having been a ski club leader or rep as we were called in those days, I can assure you that many in the local communities want the ski club to be present. There are reasons for and against which have been well discussed, but from my personal experience many independent ski schools, mountain guides and hoteliers welcome a ski club presence.

On the other side organisations such as the ESF are opposed and sadly as far as I am concerned they are very vociferous and can have a lot of clout in local politics. Tourist officials I have met usually stand somewhere in the middle.

The ski club owes its presence in some resorts because members of the local community have championed the club's cause. There are also resorts where the club is not represented, that would like to have a ski club leader there, but the club is not always able to justify the cost of having somewhere in those places.
latest report
--
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy