Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing helmets

Poster: A snowHead
How do you pack them? It takes up loads of space in my hand luggage, but I can't help feeling it's not safe in the hold, even in a hard (ish) sided suitcase. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had mine strapped to my backpack as hand luggage - it'll be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Middle of bag/case rammed full of socks, pants, glves etc. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It you strap it to the outside of handbaggage make sure you can get it in. With neilson last year (thomas cook airways) I had to put it back inside my backpack at check in. I then removed it as soon as I was through security and no-one on the plane objected.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This strikes me as another disadvantage of helmets
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Inside hand luggage but filled with stuff so not to much space used. Interestingly I seen big people a few places in front of me in the check in queue told to put their helmet in their bag but then the same check in lady let my kids through with theirs strapped on the outside of their backpacks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wam15 wrote:
It you strap it to the outside of handbaggage make sure you can get it in. With neilson last year (thomas cook airways) I had to put it back inside my backpack at check in. I then removed it as soon as I was through security and no-one on the plane objected.

I saw a rather amusing discussion at Edinburgh earlier this week between the security staff and a man with his hard hat attached to his bag. "Sorry sir, that will have to go in your bag." "It doesn't fit." "Well, it has to go in." *man takes hat off bag, puts on head* "What now?" "Well, now it's clothing so it will have to go in the tray." *puts bag in tray, security staff happy* rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 30-11-12 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith, it is, though I have got into the habit of taking one. I pack mine in the centre of my hold luggage, with soft clothing around it, and stuff it full of soft stuff as well. I hate taking clutter into the cabin of an aircraft. And before you say it, I too prefer to travel by train, but in practice it's not very feasible for me - and anyway, if you are skiing in France there is still the problem of moving your luggage across Paris from Gare Du Nord to wherever. And rail travel in Switzerland can involve swift changes - so the carriage of helmets still needs thinking about. Glad that side of things will be behind me soon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

It definitely strikes me as a comedy question, Goldsmith. If I thought a helmet couldn't cope with whatever stick it might get on its transit through to the hold and out again, I wouldn't think it was worth using one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

It definitely strikes me as a comedy question, Goldsmith. If I thought a helmet couldn't cope with whatever stick it might get on its transit through to the hold and out again, I wouldn't think it was worth using one.

If I fell 2m onto concrete or a pile of suitcases while skiing I'd think I was pretty unlucky (particularly if it was a pile of suitcases wink ) and I'd replace my helmet afterwards - and I've seen luggage being treated like that with depressing frequency.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, "If I thought a helmet couldn't cope with whatever stick it might get on its transit"

Problem is that many helmets are "one impact" designs, meaning that if it gets a whack in transit it may no longer provide full
protection and should be scrapped. or so the manufacturers say. I wouldn't find that much of a comedy moment.

that's probably why folks are worrying about packing in hold or stuffing it in hand luggage etc.

cheers Geoff
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stuffed in your suitcase/boardbag with as many socks/underwear as you can squeeze into them...

As a side note, are you really worried that something you are hoping to save you from cracking your lug open on hard snow/ice at around 15/20 mph will not withstand the rigours of a planes hold, whilst inside your case?

Me thinks you need a new helmet if that is the case wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine goes in my rucksack - it won't fit in my hold bag as well as my ski boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As hand luggage.

I use mine for skiing and cycling so I like to know that it's not had any knocks that may have weakened it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffkay wrote:
Problem is that many helmets are "one impact" designs, meaning that if it gets a whack in transit it may no longer provide full protection and should be scrapped. or so the manufacturers say.

This comes out of the CEN 1077 rule, just because the helmet is tested for one impact DOESN'T mean it's useless after one impact. Take sensible precautions with padding and you can pack it in your luggage without problems - that's what i've done that for 10 years without incident. Mine goes in my board bag, wrapped in fleeces or trousers between the bindings.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-11-12 12:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Stuff it down the front of your trousers in a cricket box stylee Very Happy
ski holidays
I wear mine it is a hat.
snow conditions
Tiger2 wrote:
Stuff it down the front of your trousers in a cricket box stylee Very Happy

Where most at rest males keep their helmets, I'd imagine
ski holidays
In hold luggage, well padded inside and out. Strapping it to carry on is no guarantee it won't get bashed around, and worse case scenario you'll have to leave it behind depending on the jobsworthy-ness of security and airline staff.
snow report
Eeeeek! I never even thought about helmet getting trashed while in my bag! I always just put it in my board bag... Time for a rethink this year then.
ski holidays
kat.ryb, has your helmet ever been trashed while it's in your bag? I'm guessing not. Neither has mine. A friend of mine strapped his to his backpack, it came lose and bounced down some stairs in the airport. New helmet time for him.

Trust your own experience.
snow report
Quote:

kat.ryb, has your helmet ever been trashed while it's in your bag?

I don't think so. I got a new on last year so it has only had 4 legs of airport journeys to worry about. I often think things are safer in a boad bag as it's a bit too heavy to be chucked about
latest report
kat.ryb, + I always suspect the helmet as hand luggage thing is motivated as much by posing as by helmet safety.
latest report
Mine goes ni my hand luggage. Plenty of room for lid, goggles, book and ipod.
snow report
AlpineAddict wrote:
Stuffed in your suitcase/boardbag with as many socks/underwear as you can squeeze into them...

As a side note, are you really worried that something you are hoping to save you from cracking your lug open on hard snow/ice at around 15/20 mph will not withstand the rigours of a planes hold, whilst inside your case?

Me thinks you need a new helmet if that is the case wink

It's not while in the hold in that's the issue, it's the baggage handlers (usually at the arrival point) that are generally the problem and this is worse at smaller airports when baggage is manually offloaded from plane onto a trolley, then manually loaded onto a baggage carousell. (chambery is a classic example).

If the helmet is packed in the middle of a pretty standard size ski bag with clothes inside and out it would have to take pretty big hit to damage it in my view. If however it was in an end or outside pocket of a back, it wouldn't take anyway near as much abuse.

Pack it well and it will be fine.
latest report
Put it in a hat box, with as much care as you'd give your auntie's Ascot headwear
ski holidays
LittleRos, geoffkay, it's never, ever occurred to me to think about it. My lid (which is about 7 years old now) gets slung into the car boot with all our other gear and, squashed by ski boots, skis, packed lunches, shovels etc etc, when we get there, it often just plops out of the car boot and drops onto the the car park's hard pack. So to give it special TLC when I go off on a foreign ski trip is kind of counter intuitive.

Actually, talking of TLC, I can't stand a stinky helmet so it does get washed in the machine a couple of times a season (cold wash, a little detergent, hand wash cycle, no spin) so it must still feel a bit loved. Little Angel
latest report
Quote:

this is worse at smaller airports when baggage is manually offloaded from plane onto a trolley

Saw my board bag literally thrown out of the hold down onto a trolley at Bristol last year.

But also

Quote:

Pack it well and it will be fine
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Glad that side of things will be behind me soon.

Sad
latest report
Take it in hand luggage with one set of everything you need for a day on the mountain. Boots, goggles, gloves, trousers, baselayers, socks. Wear your jacket. Stuff things that won't fit in bag in jacket pockets. Strap helmet to outside of bag. Hope they don't lose your checked luggage but know you only need hire board or skiis the next day if they do
snow conditions
Clip it to the backpack I'm using as handluggage - even if it does get bashed (never has), at least I'll know what sort of impacts it's had to can make a reasonable judgement as to whether it needs replacing.

Put it in the hold, and you'll have no idea what's happened to it - chucked a couple of metres from plane to concrete could do some serious damage, equally if someone else's heavy hard case gets chucked straight onto it after. Similar to hiring a helmet, you'll have no real idea how much capacity to protect it has left.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
geoffkay wrote:
Problem is that many helmets are "one impact" designs, meaning that if it gets a whack in transit it may no longer provide full protection and should be scrapped. or so the manufacturers say.

This comes out of the CEN 1077 rule, just because the helmet is tested for one impact DOESN'T mean it's useless after one impact. Take sensible precautions with padding and you can pack it in your luggage without problems - that's what i've done that for 10 years without incident. Mine goes in my board bag, wrapped in fleeces or trousers between the bindings.

Many helmets are multi-impact, but it depends on how large an impact it was. No helmet is invulnerable to being broken by one big hit - though most are also quite capable of taking many of the sort of minor inpacts moffatross refers to.
latest report
clarky999, moffatross, Richard_Sideways, et al

"Put it in the hold, and you'll have no idea what's happened to it - chucked a couple of metres from plane to concrete could do some serious damage, equally if someone else's heavy hard case gets chucked straight onto it after. Similar to hiring a helmet, you'll have no real idea how much capacity to protect it has left."

Matt, this is exactly what i was trying to get across in my earlier comment mate.

I was just trying to offer some sort of rationale for folks whittling about their headgear. I personally don't give a proverbial flying fluck cos i don't own a helmet.
I have to wear one at work, so i'm rebelling when on my own time!

Cheers, Geoff
snow conditions
My wife however does give a flying fluck

Therefore she bungs a couple of pairs of ski socks in the bottom of her rucksack as padding, then puts her helmet into ruck sack
upside down as it were, then puts other stuff into the cavity. thus keeping helmet with her at all times (she loves that helmet dearly) whilst making the best use of packing space in her rucksack.

Cheers, Geoff
snow report
geoffkay wrote:
My wife however does give a flying fluck

geoffkay wrote:
Therefore she bungs a couple of pairs of ski socks in the bottom of her rucksack as padding, then puts her helmet into ruck sack

which then becomes a flying ruck.
latest report
Cynic wrote:
I wear mine it is a hat.

Serious question... would they allow that?
ski holidays
Pretty sure that I couldn't have it hanging externally on my rucksack last time I flew so it got stuffed in the board bag. Previous flights they'd been okay with it.
latest report
LittleRos, ...having been enagaged with the research on helmets in mountain biking and skiing since the late 90's I would never put a helmet in hold luggage. This can lead to unseen damage to the eps liner, which is perhaps the more important part of a helmet. Simply carry it in hand luggage, using the good advice above, then all risk is removed.

Note that I carefully packed a load of helmets in the rear of the car, placed on the top of piles of gear, only to have a member of the family (nameless) dislodge one and slam the car tailgate onto it. Gn+****!!!
snow conditions
Well, I think you're all bonkers. Laughing But, for just £14.95, you can mollycoddle your precious lids with this thing, designed to 'protect your snowboard or ski helmet from accidental scuffs and bumps in a fleece bag' Shocked ...

snow report
Adam123 wrote:
Take it in hand luggage with one set of everything you need for a day on the mountain. Boots, goggles, gloves, trousers, baselayers, socks. Wear your jacket. Stuff things that won't fit in bag in jacket pockets. Strap helmet to outside of bag. Hope they don't lose your checked luggage but know you only need hire board or skiis the next day if they do

This. Very sensible, though I admit I risk going without my boots as they get packed in the hold luggage. I can fit my helmet inside my hand luggage if it goes in first. Use it to protect goggles and fill it with socks and baselayers. The outside shovel pouch on my OH backpack is also useful for quickly disappearing excess stuff at check in Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy