Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fly & ski same day

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to organise a weekend trip mid January for a few lads. I want an early morning flight such that we can ski that afternoon. I have done this before by flying Liverpool to Geneva, hiring a car and driving to Meribel. I know 3Vs quite well.

Recommendations/experiences anyone? Stick to what I know, or any other suggestions? We need varied skiing and we definitely like a lively Après ski Toofy Grin Les Arc, La Plagne maybe, is Austria feasible, St Anton maybe?

Don't want to waste days travelling, so need somewhere near an airport that does early morning flights, and if possible late night flights returning. Oh, and from the North of England.

Would be grateful for any pearls of wisdom wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liverpool - Innsbruck for flights with Squeezyjet. Pick your resort from the many around. Including Mayrhofen and Innsbruck itself
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe pick sonewhere like morzine, a good hour or so closer to Geneva than meribel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix Valley , 7am flight from Edinburgh to Geneva , Cham Express to Les Houches , skiing by 12.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can get an early flight into Innsbruck, there's plenty of Austrian options - including St Anton. Depending on flight times probably doable from Munich too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, Manchester - Innsbruck with Lufthansa has early flights and free ski carriage
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnHSmith wrote:
Liverpool - Innsbruck for flights with Squeezyjet. Pick your resort from the many around. Including Mayrhofen and Innsbruck itself

Getting out to Innsbruck is fine from LPL but if you're doing a weekend then flights back to LPL are not available. You could fly out to one airport and back to another e.g LPL- Inns and then Inns to MAN. But than then has transfer issues from airport to say home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a 6.35 flight out of Manchester to Salzburg. Couple of years ago and arrived in Radstadt at 10.50. I could have comfortably been on the slopes for 11.30
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Earliest arrival I could find for Innsbruck is 10.40 local time - allowing for airport faff, drive time, ski collect etc don't think that will get us on the slopes in time - correct me if I'm wrong, please Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitters, Morzine? I know nothing about it - a good option for ski & après?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simonskis, could get to St Anton by 1 without too much trouble (drive is about an hour), or (the top of) Nordkette by 11:30 if you're open to skiing Innsbruck then travelling to resort in the evening.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for Morzine or Les Get.. its about 1hr transfer from Geneva, quite a nice place. Not as high as 3V, so snow quality is not as guaranteed. But you need to decide what is more important.

It is possible to do the same day skiing in the 3Vs, I've managed it myself a couple of times, trick was to get the earliest flight possible (about 5am) to Chambery, then get a private transfer to Meribel (much quicker than coach). Transfers took about 1.5-2hrs and we were on the slopes about 11am.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flights from Manchester to Innsbruck with Monarch depart at 5.15am so will give you plenty of time to get to St Anton and ski in the afternoon
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our plane landed at Innsbruck at 10.15 and we we were skiing an hour later at Axamer Lizum, about a 20 min drive from the airport. Surreal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've done that in both St Anton and Selva. Had a very early morning flgt into Innsbruck transfer with Tao was around the hour, had a hot drink when we arrived at accomadation into room, changed collected hire skis and we were at the top of the slope by midday when we were in St Anton.

Surreal is definitely the word for it.
snow conditions
Loads of options around 1-1.5 hours from Salzburg if you can get an early flight there.
ski holidays
Anywhere in the SkiWelt, Austria, is possible. Dublin to Salzburg, fly 6amish (not the 'give up electricity and grow a beard' type). Shared transfer 66euro return to Westendorf, 90 minutes. Drop bags, got rental gear in Ruetz , first run 12:15. Soll in the Skiwelt sounds like the place for you, apres in 'lively'.
latest report
La Plagne is totally do-able to get a half days skiing in.

Early flight into Geneva, 2 hour transfer, 1 hour faffing, lunch on the piste Happy
snow conditions
We used to do this but found we were all asleep by 3.00 in the afternoon having been up so early to catch the first flight out.

Now we go the night before (leaving after work) and pay for an extra night's accommodation. Then hit the first lift fully refreshed.
ski holidays
i have done a few lads trips where we left and ski'd on the same day, 3 valleys are all easily doable as is les arcs. Usual rules apply, travel as light as possible, split duties (some collect any luggage, others go and sort the hire car). Know where you are going to and where you are going to park. Arrive gear up, ski.
snow report
I do this once a year. From Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds to Geneva/Zurich I've been on the slopes for lunch in Chamonix, Flaine, Megeve, Courmayeur, Flims, Crans Montana, Klosters that I can remember.

I'm always buzzing to be skiing, so the early start makes no difference.
snow report
Tiger2,

I'm finding that the cheaper flights that you can get by not doing Saturday to Saturday can pay for the extra nights accommodation in resort / near the airport. You end up with an extra day or two skiing and a very relaxed start & end to the holiday.
snow conditions
Salzburg with lots of good resorts within 1h-1.5h.
All depends if you can get very early flight and late departure as well. Shame Ryanair stopped their 9pm departures from Salzburg.
ski holidays
The return flight is perhaps more critical. I find I can get a full day's skiing or climbing in and get back to Geneva for the last flight back to Luton. I have done the first flight out in the morning and got to Les Arcs at lunch time but to be honest I would rather fly out late the previous evening and get a full day ion rather than half a day.
snow report
Early flight to Munich late flight back, we have skied afternoon in Mayrhofen and the morning (until 1pm ish) on day of departure. We arrive Munich 10.50 am, in resort by 1.15-1.45. If you have own kit and change in the car park you are sorted.

Cue someone coming along to explain due to speed limits/ traffic congestion on the b705 to Nussfeld/marmottes on the road it will take 4 hours to drive to the Hoff Twisted Evil
snow report
+1 for Morzine - lively aprés ski and fantastic skiing in the Portes du Soleil. Just over an hour from Geneva.

Skiing in Flaine is great but aprés ski is a bit more limited.

If you want to go to the 3 Valleys then Chambery airport is closer but closes down due to fog quite often so it is a bit riskier than flying to Geneva in my opinion.

Otherwise depending on how flash you are feeling you could always get a shared heli-transfer http://www.whitetracks.co.uk/Helicopter_Transfers_Heli_Transfers_Airport_Transfers_Discounted_Prices.htm Saves loads of time... Smile But it is expensive of course... Cool
latest report
Quote:

+1 for Morzine - lively aprés ski and fantastic skiing in the Portes du Soleil. Just over an hour from Geneva.

+2 for Morzine
snow report
Simonskis, Morzine gives access to a massive ski area which mid January is unlikely to have any snow issues, either at morzine/les gets or easy to get to avoriaz. You can ski directly into town from the Morzine/Les Gets side of the Portes de Soleil.

It is a decent size town with quite a few brit-friendly pubs, lots of eateries, and plenty of après ski clientele about in the pubs as well. I have never tried any of the clubs though so can't comment on those.

It is about an hour from Geneva. Les Gets is also an option.....quieter than Morzine on the après side of things, but still more than enough pubs for a good weekend away
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you considered the overnight train via Paris to the 3 Valleys or Val d'Isere/Tignes or Les Arcs/La Plagne? That way you ski all day and travel at night. If you change in Paris to a French train (which starts about 11.00pm) you can have a couchette.
However, although you ski all of the last day you arrive in Paris very early the next morning (6.30) so have to take the early Eurostar arriving back the morning after your last ski.
latest report
Scot_Ski wrote:
Chamonix Valley

+1

Chamonix or Argentiere are easy to get a half day skiing in.
snow report
Simonskis, Les Gets/Morzine (Morzine better for apres) very easy, on first lift by 1pm after first flight from LGW (we have late easyJet flight to LGW which means we can ski until about 2 or 3pm in resorts within 1 or 1 1/2hrs from Geneva Very Happy
snow conditions
Simonskis, We took the 7am flight to GVA from LPL this year. Arrived in Verbier at 13:00. Quick change, ski hire, lift pass obtained and were riding up the Medran by about 13:30.
snow conditions
halfhand, if you'd gone to the Offshore for lunch first, you could have skied for free after 3.30 Cool
snow report
I've done this a few times, the best yet saw us on a ski lift by 12:45pm - I tend to meet up with mates flying from Leeds or Manchester, and I fly from Heathrow, so I'm not sure I'll beat that time. If if you are all flying from one place and get the earliest possible flight you should be able to ski by lunchtime.

Best bets for me always seem to be around Geneva, flights never seem to work out so conveniently to Zurich. The nearest is either the Flaine area (e.g. staying in Les Carroz) or La Clusaz / Grande Bornand. Both great areas about an hour or less from GVA. There's lots more that is also in easy reach of GVA, Chamonix is an obvious one, also look at Les Contamines, St Gervais, PDS. Verbier also possible, but I couldn't bring myself to drive past Chamonix and not stop there to be honest (or is it quicker to get to Verbier going N. of the lake?)

In other words, don't worry about the resort too much, just get on and book the early-out late-back flights to GVA then sort out a place to ski. It can be a pain to do weekend bookings, but it's possible if you are flexible.
latest report
Early flight to Munich, 1.5hr drive to the ski welt - great après in Soll. Late departure home. Doing exactly that in March - flying 7am Saturday to Munich, 3.5 days skiing, depart Munich 9.00pm Tuesday. Flights with Lufthansa were £110.
snow conditions
laura1182 wrote:
Early flight to Munich, 1.5hr drive to the ski welt - great après in Soll. Late departure home. Doing exactly that in March - flying 7am Saturday to Munich, 3.5 days skiing, depart Munich 9.00pm Tuesday. Flights with Lufthansa were £110.

The late flight back is a bonus - where's that flying from? May just have to look into that. (Lufthansa do free ski carriage too I think?)
ski holidays
Chamrousse must rate as one of the closest resort to an airport (Grenoble) in France. What about Innsbruck? That is pretty much on the slopes by the look of it....
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
halfhand, if you'd gone to the Offshore for lunch first, you could have skied for free after 3.30 Cool

Please enlighten me.

We have been doing the early LPL-GVA flight and end up in Verbier at around 1.30 pm just enough time to get a few turns in before beer o'clock.

I am there 24 - 28 Jan again this year.I know you usually go somewhere around this time?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:

Good point but 2hrs less skiing (coffee and sandwich consumed on the trip from GVA to Verbier) Cool
snow report
Hopefully I'll be skiing by lunchtime after an early morning flight to Salzburg in a couple of weeks. You can get to SZG out of Manchester and/or Leeds cant you ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy