Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere or Three Valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
Raceplate,
Quote:

In order to fit in generally, it will help if your kids were privately educated and you own your own business.

hope you've got a chip on both shoulders to keep you level headed snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowmum123, the thing about the gully of death (and Le Face) is that they are often busy at the end of the day, with a lot of very incompetent skiers who simply can't resign themselves to downloading in a gondola. If you can't resign yourself to downloading in a gondola, and are not happy on a busy and icy black run with lots of incompetent skiers, I'd say you should go to Val Thorens. I've ridden the gondola down and watched, astonished, at some of the people who are trying to ski le Face. My son worked a couple of seasons in Val D'Isere, is a very good skier and boarder. He loved Le Face in the morning, preferably unpisted after an overnight snowfall. But he had no problem riding the gondola down with me at the end of a long day's skiing, watching the antics below.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowmum123, don't get hung up on that blue run! If you dont want to be in the centre I would second the idea of La Daille which gives plenty of options (well 3) to get up the hill and lots of variants to get down. Fabulous ski area, go for it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PsychoBabble, +1. Counting out the EK because of one (or two) home runs could be the dictionary definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. There's a reason Val is rated one ofthe top 3 resorts in the world.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John wrote:
Raceplate, need to keep in mind the Morel is a terrible way to start the day. Morning queues are often shocking, and it only takes you far enough up to enable you to ski down to chaudanne, where you have to get back up from again. I don't dislike Meribel as much as others here, but it's layout is one of it's bad points.

Nonsense 1 We're talking about the second week of January - one of the quietest weeks of the year so there won't be any queues.
Nonsense 2 The Morel lift does not only go to the Chaudanne. You can ski directly to Meribel Village off it as a warm up run or it links straight to the Altiport chair from which you can ski to La Tania and Courchevel via the Loze chair, or take the Dent de Burgin chair to Saulire mid station and choose at the top between Courchevel, Mottaret or the whole of the East side of Meribel. You could ski all 3 valleys out of Morel and not go to the Chaudanne once.

Morel is just about the only place in Meribel within walking distance of the town centre where you DON'T have to go to the Chaudanne to start your day which is why it's a good location in a quiet week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PsychoBabble wrote:
Raceplate,
Quote:

In order to fit in generally, it will help if your kids were privately educated and you own your own business.

hope you've got a chip on both shoulders to keep you level headed snowHead

Hope you can find a doctor to sort out your sense of humour bypass rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never done 3V so can't comment on that front, but in terms of being able to do the resort without resorting to scary blacks and reds, other than La Face (steeeeep!!) and Epaule Du Charvet (mogul city), Val Disere really is quite a chilled resort with lots of options depending on your mode and ability on the day.

We went at the start of december a few years back and there was endless snow to go at; we were lucky that the two massive loads of students there on university trips never surfaced until early afternoon, but even when they were up, it never felt crowded.

Yes, there are quite a few hooray Henrys (where hasn't got them?) but they were never an issue.

We stayed in VD centre but the bus to Fornet was out first trip every morning because the fresh stuff on the glacier and in the trees is phenomenal. Bus takes about four minutes from the centre of Val D.

Links to Tignes are pretty effortless, although getting back is the usual affair of making sure you get onto the link lift before it closes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PsychoBabble, Dr John, OK, I'll try to ignore it! It may well not be relevant anyway, depending on where we stay. From what I've read about la Daille, though, it doesn't sound quite my cup of tea - I do like at least a modicum of alpine charm with my skiing convenience. (Or have I got it muddled up with somewhere else?)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowmum123, frankly, neither Val D'Isere nor Val Thorens has much in the way of Alpine charm. Big ski factories, both. But if you want extensive skiing for all abilities and super lift systems, both the 3 V and the EK have it in spades.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
PsychoBabble, +1. Counting out the EK because of one (or two) home runs could be the dictionary definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. There's a reason Val is rated one ofthe top 3 resorts in the world.

Second/third/fourth that. Grand Motte on a bluebird day should be on everybody's bucket list.

We're currently considering options in France after a couple of seasons in Whistler, and Val d'Isere is top of the list.

As someone else mentioned, it has a number of good ski schools too. We used Snowfun who were brilliant.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, No, we realised Val Thorens didn't and weren't really considering that one. (We all got pretty frozen before Christmas last year so its exposed high-upness was another big factor.) I didn't think Val d'Isere looked that bad, though?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 30-11-12 17:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fornet is a bit out of the way but don't let that put you off, the skiing up that end is brilliant, and it's much quieter.

The Folie Douce is the best apres bar in the Alps (IMHO). Don't let the poshos and posers swigging champagne put you off, it's a great atmosphere and they are good to laugh at. It's at the top of the La Daille bubble every afternoon from 3.30.

Santons isn't *that* bad, it's only a blue after all, so it isn't steep. It's just a fairly narrow and very icy gully (it doesn't get any sun) which gets packed and strewn with nervous, out-of-control beginners who should have taken the lift down.

You've got to at least try Val D once to say you've been there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Raceplate, I did say "often". And you're correct, it's only 3 lifts to get to La Tania, which will only take about 45 minutes assuming no queues. I like the 3V very much, and Meribel is great fun, but one has to be realistic and say that little corner of it is somewhat sub-optimal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowmum123,Val D'Isere is "charming" compared to Tignes, at least architecturally, I suppose, though personally I prefer the latter. Sorry, I got confused about the alternatives - would definitely choose Val D'I over Meribel. One of the things I don't like about Val d'Isere is that it feels very "closed in", with big intimidating slopes all round it - I think that's one of the things that definitely detracts from any "charm" for me - but then many of the more genuinely charming places are at lower altitude, and not so convenient for skiing.

I also find the drive up from Bourg St Maurice quite intimidating (the surroundings, not the road itself, though you do encounter some daft driving on that road). It can be pretty bleak, up there, in January..... I prefer things a little more cosy, I suppose.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowmum123, I haven't (snow) ploughed thru the whole thread but presuming you've got a car then it's only about an hour to drive between VD and say Brides-les-Bains so you can do 'em both Smile
snow report
red 27, Good idea - but no good for us this year, I'm afraid. We're looking forward to *not* having a car with us and *not* having to bother about snow chains, finding a parking space, digging it out, checking the battery etc. for once - not to mention the whole days spent driving each way!
snow report
snowmum123, haha - there is that! I must admit I only ever pick up a hire car at GVA rather than schlep the whole trip over from the UK.

Have you booked up for Val D'Isere yet wink
ski holidays
Snowmum123, I would go to Val - the Espace Killy has some fab skiing (especially the Tignes bowl) for intermediates.
It's unusual for the links to Tignes not to be open, although if you stay in Le Fornet you are as far away from Tignes as it's possible to be.
If you decide you want to ski Tignes, best bet is to get the free shuttle bus all the way to La Daille and get the funicular - you are then just a run and a lift from the liaison.
If you want to ski some lovely, quiet, cruising pistes the Le Fornet end of Val is ideal - the cable car is literally across the road from many of the chalets, and none are far away.
If you want to enjoy Val (and Tignes) but prefer the quiet life, then Le Fornet is a good option...but then again, 3V is great too!
latest report
Dr John wrote:
Raceplate, need to keep in mind the Morel is a terrible way to start the day. Morning queues are often shocking, and it only takes you far enough up to enable you to ski down to chaudanne, where you have to get back up from again. I don't dislike Meribel as much as others here, but it's layout is one of it's bad points.

As per raceplate I don't think it's fair to criticise a resort due to a problem if your chalet is in one particular area

My advice for mid Jan would be stay in Meribel Vliiage. No lift queues to access the main ski area. Instant access to the best après a couple of days a week and get the bus up to Meribel itself as required n the other evenings
snow report
Well, the deed is done - 1 week in Le Fornet booked! (Possibly not the best location but it looks a lovely chalet, good deal, meets somebody else's 3Bs criterion, close to lifts and bus, convenient airports both ends, so let's not be too picky.) Thank you all so much for your advice - I'm sure we'll have a lovely time. Can't wait! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

Well, the deed is done - 1 week in Le Fornet booked! (Possibly not the best location but it looks a lovely chalet, good deal, meets somebody else's 3Bs criterion, close to lifts and bus, convenient airports both ends, so let's not be too picky.) Thank you all so much for your advice - I'm sure we'll have a lovely time. Can't wait! snowHead snowHead

Good, I am sure you will enjoy the week.
ski holidays
Have a great time snowHead
snow report
snowmum123, great choice, you'll have an amazing time.

Check out the webcams, Val is looking stunning for opening day today:

http://www.val.co.uk/webcam.htm

Don't forget to tell us what you thought of the place when you get back.
snow report
snowmum123, How exciting! Smile Have a fab time! The snow is looking good already!
ski holidays
snowmum123,

Hope you enjoy it. Have stayed in La Daille the week before christmas one year and had great time, got lucky with the snow and the slopes were nice and quiet. I certainly remember a gulley which I think was Piste "L" or thereabouts, are there others around EK?

There were some excellent runs over in Tignes from what I remember. Although getting there proved painful when we hit a massive sheet of ice on prariond, created by a snow cannon that had been malfunctioning. After that though we did find one particular wide and flowing run that our learners absolutely loved and really progressed on, I think it was gratallu - I doubt any of your group will need something like by the sounds of it though.
snow conditions
^ love that run, wonderful blue and you can absolutely cane down it when it's quiet. It's next to the Grattalu chair and the snow park.

The full length of Double M from the glacier to the Lanches chair is an epic run.
ski holidays
Piccadilly,

Yeh, definitely remember hammering it down (when it was clear!) and thoroughly enjoying it. Also had a handy small stretch of red at the top that the adventurous learners could have a quick go on to say that they had.

Never did head up to glacier which looking back I regret and as such never tried out Double M.... damnit, next time.
ski holidays
I would try Val D'isere. Imo the Espace Killy is one of the best ski areas in Europe. I've done seasons in the EK and 3V and would go back to Val over anywhere in the 3V

Yes Santons is a nightmare on the way home, but it can easily be avoided by taking one of the pistes back to La Daille, the buses are regular and is only a 5 min ride back into town. OK and Orange are both good home run pistes

The night life is superb, there are loads of good bars and Apres is on par with Meribel

La fornet is pretty quiet for both night life and the pistes are alot quieter even in peak weeks which is a bonus. When the weather is bad there is alot of good tree/ sheltered runs of the side of the piste to get out of the clouds.

The last season I lived there the buses ran until 2am, so as long as your not in Dicks until close its easy to get the bus back after a night out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double M is my favourite ski run ever.
snow report
Snowmum123 if you haven't been to the Espace Killy then I would highly recommend it. Both 3V & EK have their pros and cons but I promise you the skiing in Val D is fantastic, you'll have a great time. I personally prefer Tignes to Val D but they both access fantastic skiing. Enjoy!
latest report
Thank you for all your wishes. I'll have to write down these suggestions of nice runs so we can seek them out - the Grattalu and Double M sound lovely!
ski holidays
Simple, flip a coin and do that this season and the other next.
snow conditions
Hacel, Piccadilly, I've been looking all over the piste map and can't spot a Grattalu chair - could you give me a hint, please?

andyhull, Ip Dip Doo did cross my mind but we've settled on VdI for this year (see above - keep up! wink ) and we'll probably go back to the Three Valleys another year some time that isn't Russian New Year.

Now to the important stuff ... any suggestions for nice lunch spots, please, anyone? (Cosy, friendly, nice food, not eye-wateringly expensive ... the sort of place you go back to).
latest report
Hisnowmum123,

Saw you were looking for some piste map to spot the Grattalu chair.
Here's one from Chalet Chardons in les Brevieres, Tignes. Very nice interactive piste map for EK.

http://www.chaletchardons.com/tignes-snowboarding-weather.html

Oddly, if you're looking for it from their website, you need to click on their weather page where you will see the weather, the map and also the webcam view of les Brevieres. Choose the full screen option then the Grattalu chair is in an area highlighted in salmon/orange colour.
snow report
Snowpie, What a lovely map! Really nice, the way you can make the little chairs and things go up and down. (Little things, I know ...) Presumably the drag lifts with triangles are steep/icy ones? I don't know why I couldn't spot that lift when I looked - just not a systematic enough search, I suppose. Many thanks!
ski holidays
I have been to EK at least 6 times (3 to Val d'Isere and 3 to Tignes) and never known Santons open. Skiing down Epaule it was obvious why - there is a massive avalanche slope directly above the piste so it must take ages to prepare. The run out at the bottom looks as bad as the one from the Epaule. Is it as bad?

And It like the interactive map Snowpie, recommends
ski holidays
snowmum123: As you're staying in Le Fornet, a convenient lunch spot would be Le Signal which is at the top of the lift out of Fornet. Neither cheap nor expensive (if you do the self-service bit downstairs) but definitely above average quality. Further up that valley near the bottom of the Pissaillas glacier is a place that just opened last year and is surprisingly cheap given its position. The place I used for lunch most was Marmottes which is between the top of Bellevarde and the Tommeuses lift on the Verte piste (i.e. nearly in the middle of the map) as it is cheap. For something a bit more special then slightly further down Verte among the trees as you head towards La Daille is a nice place whose name I forget but the food was great. I have fewer memories of good places to eat on the Tignes side, but I'm sure others can recommend something over there. The restaurant at the Tignes glacier is now expensive enough that it is probably best to avoid.
snow report
snowmum123, you'll have a ball Fornet is quiet but lovely. Make sure you have lunch in Edelweiss, it's on the blue leading down to Fornet. One of the top 3 mountain lunches in the EK. Or, indeed, anywhere.
latest report
Dr John, that looks lovely, just the ticket! They wouldn't happen to do vin chaud (for end-of-the-day pit stops), now, would they?
ski holidays
snowmum123, not been there at end of day, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's perfectly positioned for it. Also, if you can book it on a sunny day, have lunch at Le Grande Ourse in Val, one of the places facing out on the front de neige. Lunch there, sitting outside if poss, with the view up solaise and bellevarde (including watching people fall down The Face) is one of the EK highlights.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy