Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel - 'Early Season' Lift Pass and Skiiable Area

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon fellow Snowheads.

I’m fortunate enough to be faced with a fairly exciting dilemma. My holiday allowance has dictated that I can only do one snow holiday in 2013. However, noting the snow fall of recent days and my remaining 5 days allowance for 2012 a small group of us are contemplating taking up a very good deal for Meribel on the 15 December.

I’ve done a bit of Googling and note that between the 8-22 December the Meribel and surrounding areas generally operate a reduced lift / piste system (and as a result the Ski Pass is cheaper).

Does anyone know what this means in real terms?! Is the skiable area dramatically reduced? I don’t want to venture out to only find a few lifts / runs open?

Anyone’s experience would be gratefully welcomed!

Thanks

Snowsquirrell
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
last couple of years the early season some lifts were shut down. the dent du burgin olympic and chatelet lifts are off which only slightly reduces the skiable area. with the recent snow falls should have lots to ski,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied the first week of the season many times. It's a great time to go - no queues, quiet slopes. The links between valleys are usually open and they only shut some of the more peripheral or duplicated lifts. I'd say at least 70% of the area is open which is more than enough for a good time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's Mottaret rather than Meribel at this point of the year normally, so yes there's loads of skiing but if you're staying low down eg Village it will seem like eternity getting to it and no skiing back to the chalet (there's usually an event scheduled in Meribel for the 15 December, bumps comp or something like that, and it's normally cancelled due to lack of snow on the Chaudanne).

The Folie Douce opens on the 15th though so that should keep you busy. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowSquirrell, The main lifts are generally open, giving access to most of the terrain. Some chairs, such as Plan de l'Homme and Rec de Fer won't open, but the terrain that they serve can be accessed via other lifts.

In the Méribel valley, almost the entire snowfall of the last 2 days has fallen onto bare ground (no base). However, the snowfall has been fairly heavy, and temperatures are expected to be low for the next week, so the cannons will be working hard.

I will be skiing Méribel on Saturday (skinning), so give you an update later, but I would expect the week of 15 Dec to be good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your replies. The Chalet is based at 1350, which is lower than I've stayed at previously but hopefully the recent snow has formed the base and going by the finger in the air weather predictor that is snow-forecast there is more on the way.

Patch, thanks kindly for the offer of a report after your weekend, I would greatly appreciate it. However, only if its what I want to hear! We are likely to book this trip tomorrow or Saturday and by then it may be too late.

I think I need to do more research to satisfy myself that it's worthwhile!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are in Meribel many times over the winter and usually there before Christmas as sons work there. Last season (Dec 2011) start of season was late but there was snow for the bumps comp - it has only been cancelled once a few years ago. The bump run on the stade in Meribel was bare until about a week before the event last year. No FIS bumps comp this year but there is a French Cup on 23rd Dec. Should be fine from 15th Dec due to recent snow. Although it was bare low down there has been snow on the upper runs for some time now. We are there from 15th too but I don't know how I would recognise SnowSquirrell?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that. Thinking about it more, none of us are that good or fast that we would need tho whole area! Fairly sure we're going to book it tomorrow morning!

mogulski, all being well we are staying at a Chalet in 1350. No idea whether that's a big or the main area though!

I shall be on a snowboard wearing disgustingly bright yellow trousers and a blue jacket, together with my girlfriend who will be in white jacket and purple (tbc rolling eyes ) trousers. Spot me if you can! Very Happy

Any areas on piste and apres that you would recommend?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually looks like it's located in Chandon... seems a bit of a trek from the main hub (?), but hay ho, the price is right!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowSquirrell wrote:
Actually looks like it's located in Chandon... seems a bit of a trek from the main hub (?), but hay ho, the price is right!

the key question(s) are
(1) will the chalet be running buses to/from centre and
(2)whether you are going week 1/2/3 of the season

Last year they only opened the olympe gondola (from le raffort up) at the end of the 1st week, which would be the 15th if the pattern is continued this year. There are shuttle buses 'navette gratuite' to/from centre from le raffort - http://french-alps.meribel.net/fileadmin/PDF/hiver/7_annexes/telechargements/Navettes_MERIBUS_hiver_12_13_debut_saison.pdf is the schedule but you need to check the colour scheme carefully as in the 1st week there are no returns between 13:05 and 17:30 for example

Also if you're looking for nightlife then you'll have to be going back towards the centre - taxis back to les allues (1100m) were 28 euro last season, and the last bus is 20:00 - Cartel anyone?

In terms of runs/lifts then the general answer is 'more than enough' - yes you might have to take a slight roundabout route to get to place x, but they're keen to get the links open so that they can then sell the 3v pass..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^ good advice. Chandon is very remote early season and from memory the free ski bus does not run until the second week of the season. Check first!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've lived in Chandon, it will be fine if you have either a well-stocked chalet or a car and like your travel companions! As for the bumps early on I'm sure that sort of thing was cancelled more than once over the many seasons I've done in Meribel but either way you'll be enjoying the empty pistes in bright sunshine - it's spooky not seeing anyone for hours!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be in the 3V the same week and very much looking forward to it. Past experience suggests that, as the others have said not all the lifts will be open, but there will be plenty of skiing available even if you can't ski right down to the lowest points.

One odd thing I noted is that the 3V pass is discounted, the Les Menuires pass is discounted, but the Belleville Valley (Les Menuires, St Martin and Val Thorens) pass is not which makes it more expensive than the 3V one for those two weeks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for your replies. Really useful stuff.

Unfortunately by the time we had got everyone 'on board' the deal we were looking at had gone. Such is life! However, the operator offered us a Chalet in Courchevel and matched the price of the Meribel one we were looking at (which was £120 per person cheaper!).

This Chalet is directly opposite a lift too! Just hope this lift is open......

Looks like there may be a lot of snow and general coldness over the next 16 days, too. Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowSquirrell, which lift in Courchevel is it opposite??/
ski holidays
kitenski, Ha! I don't know if I want to say! Partly because I don't know! It's Chalet Sonjon in 1300 whilch is apparently opposite a bubble that goes directly to 1850, so i presume its Praz?

Only reds of blacks to get home; my Girlfriend will love it (if there is snow cover that low)! Laughing
snow report
SnowSquirrell, I'd find out if I were you as praz lifts dont open til 15th Dec iirc
snow conditions
kitenski, According to http://www.courchnet.com/lifts/dates.html then Le Praz is open from the 15 as you say. Fortunately we're heading out on the 16th, so hopefully it will be okay.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy