Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best helmet for around £100?

Poster: A snowHead
Serriadh wrote:
Remember Rule 4 and you'll be fine Smile

Well worth a read, and then following the ref to rule 22 and the link to Gaper Spirit Animal. Priceless Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Gaper Spirit Animal threat on Teton had me in stitches.

And it's put me off getting a Go Pro, ever. I'm not buying oneof those bad boys unless I become the sort of skier whose balls and skill are unimpeachable. Anything less looks like inviting remorseless ridicule.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Katie Smiler,

A lot of snowboard specific brands, including Special Blend and others at the upper end of the pricing bracket, are of very suspect quality.
Style over substance with a hefty price tag, clever eh? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes yes. Rules 22 and 4. I totally get it.

I don't want to come across 'I can do backflips and s***', but f*** it, I've decided I'm not changing to dress like a stiff just because thats what is 'expected'. I know what looks good and that's how I'm gonna roll; albeit probably wrapped around a tree or in a broken pile at the bottom of a jump.

All boarders dress as they do (generally cool) and they ain't all pro. Most spend most their time on back bottom or face planting. We all gotta get better i guess: not point dressing like a goon whilst on the journey.

Anyway, drifting from the point...I hope that Bern Watts helmet fits nice!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichTraff, precisely, wear what you want and don't worry about it. People sneering from the sidelines because you're not doing x that they expect you too aren't worth the worry. It's fashion FFS!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just bought one of these. Very light and top quality.

http://www.onebelowzero.com/poc-synapsis-2-0-helmets.html?options=cart
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's down to fit - try it on in a shop if you can rather than taking a punt on the size guide. I had a POC Frontal and didn't get on with it at all when I was skiing. I sold it for a massive £20 on ebay (someone got a bargain). I then bought a Smith Variant which I love. Comfy, light well insulated / ventilated depending on the conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OP Atomic Troop… I had 3 big head and shoulder first crashes at greater than 30 mph on to a hard surface, didn’t lose consciousness and only suffered a bleed when a ski edge spun into gap between peak and glasses, I retired it visually undamaged under the one crash rule; if safety is why you are buying then the Atomic Troop has had a road test.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
POC on Sport Pursuit as of today - read the prices and weep, oh POC wearers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought a Giro G10 for about 95 quid off the net last year. Very highly reviewed helmet and very popular in Europe - saw them everywhere the last few years. Very comfortable, very adjustable. Foam ear pads can be upgraded to take headphone speakers in them if that's your thing. Got a very easy to adjust vent system so that your head is warm on the lifts and vented on the slope.

Hi to Harry F <waves> who I recognise from ph.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To all helmet wearers remember to look behind you every now and then.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
all helmets should comply with the CEN 1077 standard

True, but the European standard is actually quite weak. The American ASTM F 2040 standard is much stronger. Your Poc helmet will meet that, but many will not. See
http://www.telemarktips.com/Helmets.html for more info.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harry Flashman wrote:

The Bern makes you sweat? Sorry, I have to ask, but are you a little bit chubby?

Smile

I prefer "densely packed" Evil or Very Mad But I'm nowhere near as dense as I was and as a very 'active' skier rather than a 'potterer' I do generate a lot of heat and the bern I had for a week was like wearing a plastic bucket. Giro 9 fitted better and with better airflow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wadgebeast wrote:
I bought a Giro G10 for about 95 quid off the net last year. Very highly reviewed helmet and very popular in Europe - saw them everywhere the last few years. Very comfortable, very adjustable. Foam ear pads can be upgraded to take headphone speakers in them if that's your thing. Got a very easy to adjust vent system so that your head is warm on the lifts and vented on the slope.

Hi to Harry F <waves> who I recognise from ph.

hello to you too! Currently enjoying Tahoe, today was at Kirkwood which has been hard on, well, everything - including my Bern, which is on head warming and anti-head plant duties. The back country stuff here is...difficult. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How do you find your Bern Helmet? Too hot?
latest report
It's absolutely fine, even when being very active and generating a lot if heat as I was being off piste yesterday. Caveat, though - not everyone us the same, and the Bern is designed as a park helmet: many park folk operate in short bursts and/or don't dress as warmly as those out on the whole mountain for the whole day, so may not need as much venting.

I would suggest that if you generally generate a lot of heat, you may want something with more venting. Also, the Bern's vents don't open and close. Never been an issue for me, but again, if you find that you have a big temperature differential between skiing and being on the lift, I'd consider something with opening/closing vents.

My Bern came with two interior liners: warm eared for cold days, and a simple padded headband for warm days. I wore it with the latter in Saas Fee in July, and it was just fine.
ski holidays
I use a Bern as well. I mostly cycle wearing it. I leave the winter lining in all year round. Only on the hottest days does it get too much. It does a great job on the cold days as well. Had no trouble with it in AdH last winter.

If you get one, make sure you get the goggle clip, as not all shops seem to include this.
snow report
Thanks for the feedback. Great stuff.

I'm sure I'll cope with the temp diffs.

I just hope Father Christmas will bring me the model with the goggle clip!!
snow report
RichTraff, Or swastika motif
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy