Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens- 29 Dec-5 Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Looking for some advice. I have booked a week in Val Thorens to ring in the new year. We are a family of 5 (2 teenagers, and 10 year old and mom and dad) with a combo of snowboarders and skiers, all intermediate. We pretty much stay on piste, except for the 15 year old snowboard...go figure! Very Happy

Anyway, looking for a bit of advice so we can get the most out of our trip since we are paying an arm and leg to ski this week. I have read the reviews of the area and basically decided to get the the 3V pass. I was wondering about some specifics though...

1. I have read that sleeping can be a problem at that altitude. Is there anything we can do to make it a bit easier? Is this even a concern?

2. We are staying at Les Balcon. I read that the ski in/ski out is a bit dicey. Can someone comment on this? Also, has anyone stayed here. I read some reviews that are making me a bit worried.

3. Eating in the area....We got BURNED eating on the slopes on Chamonix paying ridiculous prices. Is it the same here?

4. Realistically, can we make it through the whole 3V and back to VT in one day? We are a FAMILY so take that into consideration. We generally are on the slopes around 10.

5. Weather in VT? I have read that can also be a problem since it so high visibility can be an issue.

6. Crowds this time of year?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance! I love lurking on here and reading everyone's input.

BTW, we took our first trip last weekend into Austria and skied Hintertux. It was surprisingly very nice. A bit icy but the highest slopes were great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gnftr66, Hi, first of all VT is a great choice - I'm sure you will have a great time.

1. Is down to the individual in my experience - it can affect people. A glass or two of vin chaud and a day in the fresh air should sort you out though.

2. Les Balcons is on the top level of VT and there is an offpiste area coming down to it. It can get a bit bumpy but it is like a steepish red run. If you don't fancy it you can always take the free resort bus up to it. The accommodation is fine, some apartments are a bit tired but nothing to worry about in my opinion. Just ask reception if anything is wrong.

3. You can find cheaper places in and around VT - if you are out on the slopes then head to Mottaret for a cheap snack or alternatively to La Tania. VT, La Tania and Mottaret have supermarkets near the lifts if you just want an even cheaper option.

4. You can get and back to Courchevel in a day no problem, allow 1.5 hrs each way and you'll be fine. The lift system in the 3 valleys is fantastic and even though it is a fairly busy week you should be ok!

5. This indeed can be an issue as there are not trees in VT and high winds can close lifts. Mostly you can ski down to Les Menuires though and access the rest of the valley from there. You have to be careful not to get stuck in Meribel or Courchevel though as it is a very expensive taxi ride!

6. It is a busy week but apart from first thing and last thing in the day I'm sure you'll be fine. Especially on New Years day... Smile

7. If you want a treat go to the Paillote for dinner - great food! Also Snesko has a great atmosphere for apres-ski and will be enjoyed by all generations Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Only ever had a problem first night. After that so tired from skiing it's not been a problem. Drink plenty of water though as altitude can cause dehydration.
2. Some of the ski tracks through VT are a bit narrow and busy at times. Youcan usually take a short walk and a lift from most places instead if you don't fancy it.
3. 3V's can be expensive. Try eating in the lower towns. St Martin for example. The Lodge in LaTania if you get over there is good.
4. Yes, it is do-able, just don't faff about too much if going all the way to Courchevel1650. Think 1850 to VT valley can be just 2 lifts (?).
5. VT can be windy and cold and poor vis... just like anywhere else.
6. Yes it'll be busy but bearable if you get away from the resort centres.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
4. You can get and back to Courchevel in a day no problem, allow 1.5 hrs each way and you'll be fine. The lift system in the 3 valleys is fantastic and even though it is a fairly busy week you should be ok!

Two of my pals tried to get from La Tania to that highest point in Val T and back last year. One is a lifelong skier, the other has been boarding since step-in bindings and hard boots were commonplace. They're both pretty good.

Loads of wrong turns, getting on the wrong lifts, getting stuck in 'holes' due to temporary lift closures etc. They only *just* made it back without needing a cab from Meribel.

In particular on the way towards Val T I've found it's possible to kind of get accidentally wedged in the St Martin/Menuires bit which seems like you're 'nearly' in Val T, but is actually still a bit of a slog before you're truly there.

I personally think what you're suggesting might be optimistic for a family with a 10 year old. Definitely do a time check when you're at - say - Saulire. If anyone's starting to get tired or grumpy, have lunch and consider turning back before you press on towards the far end of Courch 1650 or whatever.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Piehole, I didn't suggest you can do every single village in a day as a family but getting over to Courchevel is absolutely fine... I have guided very slow groups there and back no problem. From VT you take Plein Sud and the Bouquetin then ski down Lac de La Chambre take the Plains de Mains, ski to the bottom of Mottaret then take the Pas du lac to the top of Courchevel - done with skiing 3 runs....

On the way back you can ski even less if you are tired as you can take the Pas du Lac down to Mottaret and then the Plattiers and the Cote Brun takes you to the top of VT.... Can't see how that can't be done in a day to be honest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, I can see the textbook route. I'm just saying I've seen competent people cock it up through a mixture of dumb errors and unfortunate lift closures, and it's a long way for a kid if they have a bit of a fit when you're at the point of no return...

That's all.

Mind you, you reckoned 25 minutes from Talloires to La Clusaz so I'd have to declare you 'a bit optimistic' where time/distance is concerned.. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Piehole, http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl 31 minutes according to google... Don't think 25 minutes is that over-optimistic. But that has nothing to do with this thread anyway.

And if you were scared of lift closures and dumb errors you would probably stay on the nursery slope all day anyway... I stand by my advice as I have done a few season in the 3 valleys and believe it is right. The whole point of the forum is to see advice from different people. I'm sure gnftr66 can make up his mind about it...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We got BURNED eating on the slopes on Chamonix paying ridiculous prices. Is it the same here?

Yes. Eat very big breakfasts. Chips and a drink for lunch. Tea back at the apartment - pancakes a favourite tea in my place, or just fresh baguette and jam. Take snack size choc bars so everyone can have a few in a pocket. Or, if you can do the bumpy bit back to your apartment, eat there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gnftr66,
Plan to take first day or two easy, if you have any problems it will pass in 24 hours
Don't know les balcons
You can ski to any of town restaurants for lunch so you can pick your place price-wise
Realistically you probably won't be getting to courchevel if it takes you till 10 to get going and don't want to be panicking trying to get last lifts back (and watch queues for last lifts getting back)
Nothing you can do about weather. At least you're guaranteed snow
Lift system very efficient, have not been there that week but think you'll be fine
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote/ 2. We are staying at Les Balcon. I read that the ski in/ski out is a bit dicey. Can someone comment on this? Also, has anyone stayed here. I read some reviews that are making me a bit worried.

Yes, it's a slightly bumpy red unpisted run back, very short though. It is accessed via the obvious signposted route turning right off the Plein Sud (sp?) piste.

Important. Do not try to ski/board through the covered walkway at the end of it. It involves a 180 deg turn on a sixpence halfway down. It is steep and only about 1.5m wide. Fine for walking down but skiing down will result in a painful double eject followed by belly hitting the banisters causing embarrassing full body jack knife. Then there is a two or three min walk back up to Les Balcons area.

Red Fox pub is in Les Balcons. Good for late 70's early 80's new wave and rock music. Run by a friendly biker type bloke and staffed bu French goths. Free internet for all visitors for first hour. (Well, was last season)

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and make sure that you go up to the top of the Cime Caron lift. Lovely run down and fantastic views from the top.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gnftr66 wrote:
I have booked a week in Val Thorens to ring in the new year.

1. I have read that sleeping can be a problem at that altitude. Is there anything we can do to make it a bit easier? Is this even a concern?
2. We are staying at Les Balcon. I read that the ski in/ski out is a bit dicey. Can someone comment on this? Also, has anyone stayed here. I read some reviews that are making me a bit worried.
3. Eating in the area....We got BURNED eating on the slopes on Chamonix paying ridiculous prices. Is it the same here?
4. Realistically, can we make it through the whole 3V and back to VT in one day? We are a FAMILY so take that into consideration. We generally are on the slopes around 10.
5. Weather in VT? I have read that can also be a problem since it so high visibility can be an issue.
7. Anything else I need to know?

1. It takes about an hour to acclimate. VT is not high. Reduce salt, sugar and alcohol intake to near-zero. Drink water.
2. Even the worst hotels in VT are more convenient than 90% of all hotels in all the Alps. No stress.
3. Everywhere that's good in the Alps is expensive. You get what you pay for.
4. It is easy to ski oneway from VT to Courchevel in 2 or 3 hours. Only go there when it is sunny. Leave at 900am. Return at 100pm.
5. At the time of New Year, on average, about half the week will be cloudy and half sunny. Head for trees lower down.
6. It is peak New Year in the world's most popular ski area. It will be busier than average.
7. VT is better than Hintertux.

Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Piehole wrote:
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:

Two of my pals tried to get from La Tania to that highest point in Val T and back last year. One is a lifelong skier, the other has been boarding since step-in bindings and hard boots were commonplace. They're both pretty good.

Loads of wrong turns, getting on the wrong lifts, getting stuck in 'holes' due to temporary lift closures etc. They only *just* made it back without needing a cab from Meribel.

In particular on the way towards Val T I've found it's possible to kind of get accidentally wedged in the St Martin/Menuires bit which seems like you're 'nearly' in Val T, but is actually still a bit of a slog before you're truly there.

I personally think what you're suggesting might be optimistic for a family with a 10 year old. Definitely do a time check when you're at - say - Saulire. If anyone's starting to get tired or grumpy, have lunch and consider turning back before you press on towards the far end of Courch 1650 or whatever.

I made it from La Tania to the top of VT and back with time for a leisurely two hour lunch in Mottaret last March and it was only my third or fourth day on skis!

No wrong turns or getting on the wrong lifts however. I took an excellent piece of navigational equipment with me called andyrew snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We got BURNED eating on the slopes on Chamonix paying ridiculous prices. Is it the same here?

Bar Skilt in MensWear is quite reasonable for lunch, despite being British run they seem to have managed to keep a good kitchen Skullie

Moules Frites, (dish of the day sunday, if I remember) is always a favourite (and I was so impressed with the idea of putting little slices of chilli in it that I adopted the idea myself). The taritiflette so impressed a mate that he made it himself back home. Max price for mains about 11E down to about 8. A demi pichet of Rose was about 3 or 4 I think. Other places I like for lunch are La ferme de la Tania, middle of the block, lovely crepes de sarazin, again not too pricey. Also the place thats set themselves up in the middle of mottaret (just before you pass the cabinet medical and head down Truite) was quite reasonable if you don't mind eating off paper plates, saucisse frites about 5 or 6 E or so. Another little gem in mottaret is the other (saulire side), can't remember the name but you go around that parade of shops and restaurants and stop just before you get to the big posh looking place at the end. Its just a thin place and looks like a snack bar but they have tables outside and do great reasonably priced food.

In answer to other questions: I can only agree with Dia_FindTransfers its pretty easy to bomb over to Courchevel from VT, even to get into 1650. I'm surprised Mr Piehole's lifelong skier only barely made it back as I took a mate from La Tania to the top of VT and back on his 4th day on skis and we still had time for a long lunch in mottaret, maybe by "lifelong" he means octogenarian? Although as they took "Loads of wrong turns, getting on the wrong lifts," it will help if you can read the piste map. The route is very straightforward, but it is possible to be too eager and pop over the hill and end up in St Martin, coming from Courchevel go as far left as you can get up the meribel valley!

I would have to say in response to "We generally are on the slopes around 10. ", go to bed earlier.... ( I believe the 6 Ps come into play)

In conclusion, I must say I've found the biggest problem in VT is cooking rice. The reduction in pressure and subsequent lower boiling point of the water always seems to make rice go to mush. So I would avoid that. As for Whitegold' s suggestion to "Reduce alcohol intake to near-zero." hahahahahahahahahahaha (you are a one) Razz But I do agree with his "Drink water". IMHO the two are not mutually exclusive
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Another little gem in mottaret is the other (saulire side)

We just dug out a pic on swiftoid's laptop, its called "Le Zig Zag".
snow conditions
[quote="Dia_FindTransfers"]gnftr66,

3. You can find cheaper places in and around VT - if you are out on the slopes then head to Mottaret for a cheap snack or alternatively to La Tania. VT, La Tania and Mottaret have supermarkets near the lifts if you just want an even cheaper option.

^^ This. Despite some of the 'Hoi-Poloi' on this site making out everywhere is expensive in VT (I asked this question prior to my attendance at last seasons' EoSB), I discovered there are plenty of value places to eat and drink Smile
ski holidays
andyrew, Thanks! wink
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
gnftr66 wrote:
I have booked a week in Val Thorens to ring in the new year.

7. Anything else I need to know?

1. It takes about an hour to acclimate. VT is not high. Reduce salt, sugar and alcohol intake to near-zero. Drink water.
2. Even the worst hotels in VT are more convenient than 90% of all hotels in all the Alps. No stress.
3. Everywhere that's good in the Alps is expensive. You get what you pay for.
4. It is easy to ski oneway from VT to Courchevel in 2 or 3 hours. Only go there when it is sunny. Leave at 900am. Return at 100pm.
5. At the time of New Year, on average, about half the week will be cloudy and half sunny. Head for trees lower down.
6. It is peak New Year in the world's most popular ski area. It will be busier than average.
7. VT is better than Hintertux.

Enjoy.

We have an apartment in VT. My take on your questions:

1. I sometimes get a bit of a headache there for a day or so but that could be dehydration. I cycle up the hill in the summer and you can definitely feel the altitude. Just means you get a bit out of breath going up stairs.
2. Ski in / ski out at val thorens is pretty good where ever you are. At worst you can ski any number of ways back into the village then get the free bus, or walk, back to your hotel.
3. Don't eat big meals on the slopes. Coffee, beer, hot chocolate, maybe chips. Deux Lacs has a nice cabine. The restaurants I find pretty reasonable. Current fans include Le Kinabalu - which I think is near you and Saint Peres.
4. I would get the full ski pass just for a day or two. You can easily ski to the other valleys but you can spend most of the time around VT and explore when you have run out of VT runs - or when the weather looks good.
5. Ski down to les menuires possibly if visibility is a problem. Same anywhere though really.
6. Lifts are very good and even in peak periods the queues aren't as bad as most places.
7. Enjoy some fabulous runs, enough for all standards.
ski holidays
1. Yes, the air can be dry. I also often get nosebleeds as a result of the altitude!

2. Pass, though have seen the track down to the building from the lift above.

3. It's quite a bit more expensive than Cham IMHO, esp for 5 of you. There are a number of picnic huts etc on the mountain for packed lunches.

4. Courchevel and back should not be a problem in a day, any lift lines permitting...

5. Can be very cold at that time of year, esp on windy chairlifts, so wrap up warm on bad weather days. White outs in bad weather are common, due to lack of tress - can be disorientating, but good for your skiing!

6. Could be quite busy... We're there at Xmas week this year, which for some reason is usually a lot quieter.

Overall, VT has the best snow in the Alps, in my opinion, mainly due to that fact that it's the highest resort in Europe. Also has a great modern lift system, though too many bubbles for my liking!
snow conditions
stephen buck wrote:
though too many bubbles for my liking!

Isn't that racist?
latest report
Hi

I last went here in 1990 so my knowledge is probably a bit outdated somewhat so apologies! However, even back then an early intermediate could do the whole return circuit in probably three hours or so. I guess it may be appreciably quicker now though better lifts means more traffic on the slopes.

The altitude is 'high' so it requires an 'easyish' day to get yourself 'acclimatised'.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
Thank you all for your replies. You have really helped me plan for our week. We leave Saturday and can't wait!
latest report
gnftr66 wrote:
We are staying at Les Balcon. I read that the ski in/ski out is a bit dicey. Can someone comment on this? Also, has anyone stayed here. I read some reviews that are making me a bit worried.

Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
Les Balcons is on the top level of VT and there is an offpiste area coming down to it. It can get a bit bumpy but it is like a steepish red run. If you don't fancy it you can always take the free resort bus up to it.

glad I re-found this thread - I'd take a couple of photos on Friday 14th 2012, whilst in Meribel for a trip as I recollected this thread.

Here is the Balcons building, as you can see it's close to road access and a lift

and the access piste was not only pisted, but they'd netted round the edges - and it's signed off the Plein Sud piste, accessable by the self-named lift or the 3 vallees one. you can of course stop for a beer or two in the douce before skiing down

note don't try and ski down the covered bit as I reckon it will be hard to make the turn. No idea about the ski out

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy