Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
A group of us are heading to St.Anton, flying to Zurich. Could anyone confirm if there is a winter tyre rule in Switzerland?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is - you must have them from 1 Nov to 15 April.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great, thanks.

I don't understand why the hire companies don't state that or force you to have them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I don't understand why the hire companies don't state that or force you to have them.

In Geneva (Swiss side) you are "forced to have them" but also sometimes have to pay extra. People get very excited about that.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By forced - the cars are all fitted with them anyway. As Pam says, some operators charge a premium, but you can't rent a car without them. I normally find that those companies charging a premium are British resellers rather than the car hire companies themselves
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Getchya.

So, if I hired a car without adding the Winter tyres option do you think I'd avoid having to pay for them?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Likely - or just use a different website. Try auto-europe.com or elocationdevoitures (french version of a UK site, but in EUR so often cheaper)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Expedia.

Do not tick the winter tyre box.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick-o, maybe.

But the cost might just be added in, invisibly, as it were.

But you take the risk that as you aren't obliged to have them by law, you might not actually get them (i think this is pretty unlikely, but, still...).

The risk run by the rental company there being that if you have an accident and there is snow/ice around, and the other car has snow tyres, it's your liability unless you can make a pretty good case otherwise..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Switzerland, cars with current registration have to be fitted with winter tyres. If you don't tick the box, you'll pay elsewhere, but you *will* have them - chains in the boot too. Expedia just sell for the rental companies, often cheaper to go direct.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stumbler, I have found this is not the case, and always check and the last 6 trips 5 were cheaper with expedia.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick-o,

There fitted to rental cars in the winter. In any case why question the legality in Switzerland your going to need them by law in Austria!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stumbler, maybe for rentals but not for all cars, registered or not, Government site, here http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/eur/vnor/embosl/nortou.html,

"It is not mandatory but highly recommended to equip your car with winter tires between November and April. Your liability might increase should you be involved in a snow induced accident with a car not equipped with winter tires."

stanton, indeed. It's a long and cold walk from the border.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

chains in the boot too

not always - always check.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just booked a car with Avis on the Swiss side of Geneva airport. Snow tires and snow chains are included in the price (and an ice scraper!). You hire on the French side and you have to pay extra. Also a tip - I called to book it (as I wanted to check on the tyres/chains) and it was £10 a day cheaper to book the car i wanted over the telephone.
ski holidays
Quote:

£10 a day cheaper to book the car i wanted over the telephone.

Wow! That's a big saving - well worth trying.

You do sometimes have to pay "extra" on the Swiss side too - some people have complained about that on snowheads, having had to pay the extra on arrival.
snow report
Nick-o, ...the risk of failing to tick and paying for the winter package is that you get charged much higher local rates when you arrive - and this is perfectly legal, it's in the contract. It's also sensible - having winter tyres lessens the chances of an accident or incident, which is good for everyone.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Stumbler, maybe for rentals but not for all cars, registered or not, Government site, here http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/eur/vnor/embosl/nortou.html,

"It is not mandatory but highly recommended to equip your car with winter tires between November and April. Your liability might increase should you be involved in a snow induced accident with a car not equipped with winter tires."

No might about it Wink Winter tyres are not mandatory in CH but if you have an accident and don't have them, chances are your insurance company will automatically deem you to be at fault.
latest report
Coincidentally I had to call Hertz Geneva today , I have a car booked from Swiss side

According to Hertz GVA :

Winterisation means Snow tyres and Chains, Snow chains are guaranteed to be in car per hertz
snow conditions
I decided to go with the Winter tyres, split between 5 people the cost isn't so much really. Incidentally, I found an additional discount code, read about it here.
snow conditions
Stumbler wrote:
Likely - or just use a different website. Try auto-europe.com or elocationdevoitures (french version of a UK site, but in EUR so often cheaper)
+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy