Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some questions for the Dolomites experts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having enjoyed some child free trips to Selva and Corvara in the last three years, I am returning to Selva this year with a larger group and (lots of) children for the half-term week. Whilst I know my way around the area, well, I am hoping that you may be able to advise me on a few things:

We are flying into Venice (would not have been first choice, but we left booking flights too late and this was the most economic option). I am looking into transfer arrangements - the fall-back option will be to hire a couple of cars and drive up, but I was wondering if anyone has personal experience of a taxi transfer company they could recommend - there are lots on the internet, but hard to know if they are reliable or not, so a personal recommendation would be most helpful. Cost of taxi compared to two cars does not seem vastly different and likely less hassle.

If we do drive, there seems to be a choice of two routes - the motorway via Verona and Bolzano - I have driven this way before, and it is an easy drive, but much longer than the more direct route due North from Venice and then through the mountains (various possibilities, judging by the map) to Selva. This is shorter, but looks rather windy. Assuming the roads are clear, which way would you choose? One piece of good news compared to previous years is that one of the hire companies (Europcar) now offers certain models with winter tyres.

There seem to be three ski schools in Selva. The children range from 2 weeker 6 year olds to really quite competent 10-14 year olds. We are thinking about options (maybe 3 full days private instructor for the older/better ones, and week course for the smaller/less capable ones). Any views on which is the best of the ski schools - again personal recommendations greatly appreciated.

Being a cheapskate, we have opted for a hotel without a pool. I am getting some complaints about this - does anyone know if there is a pool in Selva that can be used by non-residents?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is a pool in Ortisei - but that would mean a short Bus trip. You can buy a special card that allows unlimited use of the 'valley' bus (4 or 5 euro??)

You may find that one of the Hotels allows non-guests the use of their pool.

Driving - I would use the Motorway....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. I'm suprised you didn't book flights to Verona rather than Venice. I find it hard to believe that Venice was a lot cheaper than Verona.

2. ALthough the distance may look shorter going straight up from Venice and across to Cortina, Corvara and then Selva, the road does go across several mountain passes which will increase the journey time. If the weather looked like being dry for your journey then yes I would still go via this route. If any snow was forecast then I would definatey go for the motorway via Verona and Bolzano

3. The ski school opposite the Ciampinoi gondola (across the road to the right and a few metres up the hill) is good. DOn't know if its any better than the others but can't believe it would be any worse. But a) they will store your skis/boots for you in their own rental shop and b) they will transport you by mini bus to the learner slopes in the mornings (a big plus in Selva as the learner slopes would otherwise have to be accessed via a steep long walk from the majority of the village). Link below:

http://www.scuolasciselva.com/en/Default.asp
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies.

I would have chosen Verona (or even better, Innsbruck), but the flight costs were dramatically different - the usual half term price stacking meant that is was going to cost almost twice as much to fly to Verona and about 4 times as much to Innsbruck (£360 pp each way on Easyjet - does anyone pay that?!). There was one exception, which is Meridiana Fly to Verona, which was a little cheaper, but the flight times were awful (late evening going out and really early morning return), so we chose the Venice option - we have taken advantage of this and are adding a sneaky night in Venice at the end of the trip, so there are consolations.

Does anyone have any experience of taxi transfers to/from Selva? Any personal recommendations for a reliable taxi company would be much appreciated. It looks cheaper than hiring two cars and less hassle, if reliable.

Is that the "Prada Ski School"? Only in Italy!

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used Ski 2000 a few years ago, and they were ok, all ski schools are within a few minutes of each other

http://www.val-gardena.com/en/ski-schools-and-ski-guiding/page23.html

We always go with TO, but found a few contact numbers, but can't comment on reliability though

http://www.valgardena.it/it/taxi-e-bus/page162.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The hotels organise buses in the area which run on transfer days only from Venice and Venice/Treviso. No doubt someone will be along soon to give you a URL to go to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rg1, you've done well to avoid Meridiana. I used to fly regularly with them for work. I swear they've managed to find the only grumpy and miserable Italians on the planet and hire them as cabin crew. There was also the time we were redirected from Florence to Bologna because "the plane is broken and can't land at Florence so we've taken it to Bologna for you to travel back to London from there." Hmm, what about landing in London, eh? Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy