Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Super fun skis should i get?

Poster: A snowHead
I am technically, a pretty good skier, came from a race'ish background and have spent lots of time as an instructor perfecting my hand position, pole plant, hip alignment and other pretty useless things.

Therefore my choice of ski has been equally reserved and functional Atomic Charters for touring, Head and Blizzard GS for on piste, Dynastar Slalom, Scott crusade for all mountain (have now been stolen by my girlfriend) and Scott Pures for scary full-gas off-piste.

Then last year i pulled a pair of Nordica Soul riders out of the shop to go on the schnapps run, literally everything i stand against; soft, twin rockered and twin-tipped, but holy poop they were fun!! in powder, bumps and heavy deep slush..... Now, for xmas, i want my own play things...

What do I get?? there's so much out there !!!

Won't make suggestions because I want to stay open to all ideas but how about as a starting point, around 180 long, 90-110mm underfoot, at least a bit twin-tipped, snappy enough for on-piste but soft or rockered in the tail for trees and bad snow (p.s. Nordica lose out by being But-Ugly!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 Sideshow?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm, i see no difference between those and the Atomic Charters! i was leaning toward something like the kung Fujas maybe?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kung Fujas are really soft, almost floppy... maybe something like the Line Prophet 100's?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DPS Wailer 99?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know it may be pushing your parameters a bit but Whitedot Redeemers, Movement Flyswatters and others of a similar ilk put a big tick in the fun box in soft snow conditions. Hard bumps maybe less so but if you're going to turn to the darkside you might as well go all the way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dulcamara,

I generally make a short list and then jump on the overnight train to St Anton. (you are a lot nearer than I am though)

Kästle BMX98, Atomic Acess or Head inferno 104 night fit the bill
http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-1-2012/300171.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, hmm, sound like a plan, don't suppose you know any good shops near Montafon? got the season pass for there this year because it's around half the price!

also have decided..

going to the darkside FORGET THE PISTE; I just want to hack through soft stuff and have fun.. soft and fun all the way
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Armada JJ. Line SFB. JJs in 185 unless you are tiny.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara wrote:
DB, hmm, sound like a plan, don't suppose you know any good shops near Montafon? got the season pass for there this year because it's around half the price!

Sorry I'm at the other end of Austra (Vienna) so am not clued up on shops in your neck of the woods. In my experience St Anton has the biggest selection of fat skis in Austria. Daypass and ski hire for one day will set you back approx €100 though (ouch) although you should be able to test 3 to 4 different pairs of skis in a day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Icelantic Shaman though the graphics for this year aren't as wacky as previous years. Fantastic fun in crud and slush.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara,

Just done a quick google and found this link which might help.
http://www.montafon.at/de/urlaubswelten/echte_pistenfans/skiverleih
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool thanks for that, might just wait until i'm in resort to see what looks good or ask around the locals before i start going through that list.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, best answer I got from jeeves was umm...Nordica soul riders! Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied last season on the Atomic Theory and they are great fun skis. Playful and go anywhere/do anything. Well, anywhere I wanted to go and anything I wanted to... which didn't involve the park, and more off- than on- piste.
snow conditions
no one got anything good to say about Blizzard Bonafide/bushwhacker?
snow report
Huckacliff duckabranch wrote:
no one got anything good to say about Blizzard Bonafide/bushwhacker?

They have bulls on them - this makes anyone who skis on them uncontrollably ski in the direction of the red jackets of the ESF instructors, crash into them and gore them to death.
latest report
Blizzards it is then... cheers gang
snow conditions
dulcamara, Czar no other ski needed, put a Baron on for lifter effect for S/R turns.
latest report
You would have to buy them straight from the manufacturer (in the States), but I strongly recommend the Moment Bibby Pros. I have the 190s, and they've been absolutely brilliant for general Austrian offpiste conditions. Rocker-camber-rocker and a combination of sidecut and reverse sidecut make them very versatile, they're surprisingly agile at short turns on piste, and in perfect snow conditions can make true carved turns - though no matter what anyone says, as soon as it firms up there's gonna be an element of skid in there. Flex is perfect in my mind, medium-stiff, very chargeable, but also playful and easy to ski - brilliant blend. 118mm underfoot surfs pow and slush like a dream, 27 (I think) metre sidecut lets you bosh out the big turns whenever you want to bust through some crud or crust, but the short contact length also makes them really manoeuvrable in trees - they're even good in bumps (apart from very steep bump runs where the bumps can get a bit too close together to easily manage the length). The only days I take my midfats out now are when I'm spending a lot of time on piste, or when everything is very hard-frozen (prefer stiffer and more camber for re-frozen crud).

Hard to find over here, could probably arrange for you to give mine a go at some point. Btw, did you find any good shops for boots? Meant to pm you, but I went to Jennewein last weekend, great service and 20% off - which I think they're doing for another week or so.
ski holidays
Sander Schuhhaus in schrunns is supposed to be excellent full fitting etc, but an appointment takes a month to get and cost ~ 150 extra. I guess if you have the cash it's the way to go

Still no idea about dynafit compatible stuff though
latest report
K2 Kung Fujas.
ski holidays
how do the Czars compare to the new Rocker2's? anybody?

Also lots of good deals on the Kung Fujas, are they really that soft? just lookin for a play thing, but are they going to be as terrible as the K2 hellbents or something on ice?

other deals include:

Rossignol S7
Blizzard Cochise (too stiff?)
Elan Chainsaw
Majesty Dirty Bear
Armada TST
Nordica Girish

Would love the Armada JJs but my god they are expensive

I feel like im getting more lost as i go on!
snow report
My 2p having skied a few demos at Hemel:

Bonafide is money, a lovely ski so I think the Cochise would be even better with extra girth.
Fujas was the worst of anything
Sally Rocker2 in a 90 was just dull (though too be fair the demos were far too short)
K2 Sidestash was good enough though a fair way behind Blizzard.
Movement Flyswatter is just a hoot.

If you want to stay slightly trad I'd go Cochise from that list.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2114676&highlight=demo#2114676
ski holidays
Lots of bad press for the Kung fujas, are they really that soft? i know you're a fair amount bigger than me and it was "on-piste" but were they silly soft?
snow conditions
They were just dead feeling. Might have been the mount but I wouldn't bet on it.
snow conditions
Money no object DPS Wailer 112, also interested in some of the Blizzard flipcores, maybe Cochise although I think they are flat underfoot as oppose to the Bonafide which still has some camber? I also want to try the Bent Chetlers, JJs and TSTs. I have S3s and they are a really fun ski but I want something fatter so the above would be my list. Moment PB&J supposed to be nice as well but probably a bit rarer and haven't heard as much. Blistergearreview has some nice reviews (funnily enough).
snow conditions
ooh and how good a deal on the TSTs (and where if they have more than 1)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can, try the line SFB... Fun all the way.
snow report
Quote:

TSTs

Not skied these yet. I'm not sure what the point is in a thinner more directional JJ given how well the JJs perfom on piste*.

I've rationalised the quiver to 185 JJs with alpine bindings (daily driver) and 179 bro model with dynafits (touring). I don't really see the point in anything else right now - both skis flatter my awful technique. Can see JJs online for about 430 at the moment - same with the SFB.

*When I say well, what I really mean is "really good for something that is more than 100mm underfoot".
snow conditions
Kästle FX94 or FX104?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 23-11-12 11:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Might be worth a punt if the price stays low...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140890183347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
latest report
charlie.wilkinson, I had these for a season. Better that the JJ in my opinion although very similar. 183s are basically pretty small though. I'm 75kg and felt a whole lot better when I went up to the 192s.
ski holidays
Not rockered, but I love my Preachers in everything I've thrown at them so far and they do pretty well on piste as well, so much so that I skied them every day I was out last year including 15 days in Scotland. I'm not a great skier by any means but they're far easier to handle than anything with 112 waist has any right to be and I can only imagine what they're capable of in the hands of a better skier, actually that's not true just have a look at Eva Walkner in the freeride world tour, no imagining necessary!

If as you mention in a later post you've not decided to worry about piste performance then surely the whitedot redeemer is worth a look, seems to get really good reviews. Also worth mentioning that whitedot are, in my experience anyway, really good to deal with. They spent ages on the phone with me going through the different skis pros and cons at the start of last season and when my brother wanted to try the director in Mayrhofen in january and the green room didn't have any one phonecall had some there the next day despite the whitedot guys being at a show in Germany. I've also never had so many random people talk to me in lift queues and I'm pretty sure it's the huge green skis rather than my stunning good looks!
snow conditions
I see telemark-pyrenees are offering DPS skis now.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/dps/c-skis/skidiscipline-alpinetouring/f/
snow report
A little out of my price range i think!

I think i may have decided to go with a pair of Fischer Big stix 110, unless anyone knows anything i don't?? obviously have checked the reviews already....
snow report
Like the graphics of the Big Stix 110, esp. on the ski's base.

http://youtube.com/v/GSbhMwRn3HQ

Just in case you haven't seen this ...
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-fischer-big-stix-110
ski holidays
If you need to cross a few pistes then put a pair of Fischer Watea 106 on your list.
snow report
Aren't the Big Stix essentially a twin tip version of the Watea?
ski holidays
dulcamara,

Check your private messages - found a pair of cheap (used) Armada JJ's in your area.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy