Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Avoid February half-term skiing"

Poster: A snowHead
Peter Hardy's ski report for the Telegraph this week looks at the annual pressure on ski accommodation and facilities at February half-term, suggesting avoidance strategies. There are tips on when to ski with the kids, and where to go.

Here's the article.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The man certainly can do his research. How on earth do you find out the dates of school holidays in Finland and Slovenia??!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He probably gives somebody a Bell.

Sorry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm getting fed up of articles like this. Probably the best snow in the alps is in February, but hey, we don't want to go then because it might be busy. So, let's go January - but, best not go then because the snow might not be good early in the season. If you read 'Where to Ski & Board', you wouldn't actually go anywhere other than the 3V, Zermatt or St.Anton because all the other resorts are either: too low, too full of Brits, too full of Germans, too boring, only for experts, not enough to keep an intermediate happy....
Where the blazes should we go?
Erica (having a very bad day)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally, we're not going in Feb this year , but only because the 2 weeks rent we can get for half-term will pay for the apartment cost for a couple of months. Normally we go as hubby can't get Christmas holidays, but the boss has allowed him to take tham this year due to our new apartment being ready then. Even in places mentioned as having serious queues it hasn't been too bad. Worst queues ever were in La Plagne at Bellecote gondola in March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen,

Just checked your site - how big / many rooms has your place?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NorthWestFace, 1 bedroom, sleeps 4 adults (will sleep 5 if a child).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, although the disadvantages of skiing at other times of year might be over-emphasised in some articles, I would say that with regard to skiing in the big French ski stations at half-term Peter Hardy is absolutely correct. Like Helen I'm also avoiding February this year, so Jane and I will ski at Christmas and possibly Easter but give February a miss.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, for me this is very simple. Mrs Ski is a teacher, so we have a choice. Feb half term, at home rolling eyes , or Feb half term on skis snowHead . Which one is best ? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, do you also ski at Christmas and Easter? For us (Jane is also a teacher) we have the choice of ski at half-term OR ski at Easter because she doesn't want to spend every one of her winter holidays skiiing. Given that choice, our preference is Easter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, Xmas, Feb, Easter, August Bank Holiday....Jane is obviously in need of some serious help Laughing

If we only went once, it would be Easter....... wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs H has returned to teaching - I must admit that I'm rather taken with Easter ski-ing. Although we've only done Val Thorens so far, we also did Saas Fee over New Year which was good - I find the snow reliability a bit anxiety generating at that time of year though.

I feel I should try somewhere else at Easter but Val Thorens has snow down to resort level and access to a huge ski area.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're actually going in Feb this year, which we never usually do. And going to Big White in Canada which is on Peter Hardy's list of places to go in half-term. Hope not too many people take his advice!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell wrote:
The man certainly can do his research. How on earth do you find out the dates of school holidays in Finland and Slovenia??!!

I imagine he uses Google like most journalists.

Finnish School Holidays 2005 - 2006

Autumn holiday 24.10. - 28.10.2005
Independence Day 6.12.2005
Christmas holiday 23.12.2005 - 8.1.2006
Winter holiday 27.2. - 3.3.2006
Easter holiday 14.4. - 17.4.2006
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:

Goggle is also good when the facts are a fog
latest report
This link is handy for European half term dates.
snow report
I went once in Half term, because of of our group was involved in 'Education' and had to set an example Shocked (It was several years ago). I can easily say never again.
latest report
La Rosiere first week in Feb last year was very easy. No waiting for anything, heavy fall of snow on the seconed day. Took the boy out of school and went with a load of fanatics at the last minute and got a great deal with ski olympic. First time lucky maybe?
ski holidays
sean, welcome to snowHeads! The first week of Feb is a good time to go as it is before most schools start their mid-term break (so resorts shouldn't be too busy), but you should have a good chance of decent weather & snow. Last week of January or the first week of March is my favourite time to go.
ski holidays
We went to Breckenridge during US spring break two years ago and saw very little difference in crowds or queues. However this may have to do with the fact that the lift system is incredibly efficient and there are dozens of slopes.

The only difference I saw really, was the increase in people being stretchered off the slopes. But that probably has to do with having overconfident teenagers on the slopes trying blacks when they should be trying blues.

But hey we've all been there as teenagers haven't we? Very Happy
latest report
Civilserpent, sean, welcome one and all to snowHeads snowHead

I've never skied at half term, but I have it in my head that everything would packed with people. I went through Geneva once over Christmas / New Year and that was pretty heaving.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:

Goggle is also good when the facts are a fog

I can merit this pun with a small, 'goggle' tee hee Twisted Evil
snow report
sean, welcome to snowheads, another good plug for La Rosiere.
snow report
Trying not to cut my own throat, but we did La Rosiere last Easter when, allegedley, every bed in resort was let. No queues. My theory is that most short break or day trippers will go to La Plagne, Les Arcs, Tignes, or Val D'Isere, and not bother with such a little tin pot place. We did have a greqt deal in La plagne as an option but ended up in La Rosiere for this half term due to our "quiet" Easter experience.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, We also have to take our holiday at Half Term and after reading previous comments about skiing at half term have booked to go to La Rosiere.
latest report
kevinrhead, We are there 19th Feb, How about you?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Unfortunately our Half Term is week before.
snow conditions
kevinrhead, Crying or Very sad snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy