Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is nobody excited about the snow in Puy/Ecrins?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Puy St Vincent at Christmas.
I've been watching the webcams for the last weeks and been very happy with the dump they had two weeks ago and pleasantly surprised how long it lasted. Over the last days a big fat dump of snow is showing on snow-forecast and today as predicted the webcams are pretty much snowing a sea of grey/white. Which is all good. However looking at the snow reports, there seems to be a complete absence of the usual suspects giving a blow by blow account of the snowfall in France in general. Is this because:
Nobody skis in Puy St Vincent so nobody cares?
The webcams I have been watching are actually a recording from the middle of last winter.
It always snows loads in winter so it's not really that important.

To be honest I don't really have anything useful to say... just that I'm dead excited that there is about 60cm forecast over the next few days..whooppee
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TheGeneralist, In answer to your question - Because it's November.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am excited, and have been checking webcams since about august. Have you been to puy before? we are going in february - our 4th time - and think it's a brilliant resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps because it is not snowing as much as expected across the Alps?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a nice trip, never been, don't know where it is, have seen people go there as they have children.

You should keep it a secret if it's that good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine, it's snowing lower down and more than expected in Chamonix.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 27-11-12 15:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think it must have bypassed Val Thorens.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a fair bit in Alpe D'Huez and L2A too I think. The more southerly alps must be doing best atm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Why is nobody excited about the snow in Puy/Ecrins?

I am excited about the snow in Puy St Vincent, having skied there about 25 years ago with the founder of Nevica (Paul Goldstein). If the snow is exciting enough I might go back there one day, but this would depend on a number of factors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheGeneralist, I have already posted a Snow Report for nearby Serre Chevalier. There was a regular poster from Puy, but he hasn't posted for a long time now. I did try to go skiing there for the day, we couldn't park anywhere so headed back to Briancon instead. The whole trip was a very long tale.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup, saw some reports from Serre Che which seems to be the nearest big resort.

Not really formed an opinion on whether Puy is good or not. Only been there once, the snow was very old and the resort was very crowded and the skiing pretty limited. However the ski school converted my kids from haters to enjoyers so that factor outweighed everything else 10 times over. So we're going back again. I'd imagine that it'll be a lot quieter this time round, which would be nice and if there is any fresh snow then I'm sure there are some excellent bits of fun to be had off piste. So I'm hopeful.

To be honest though I love that area loads anyway having done many trips there to bike, climb, kayak, ramble etc over the last 20 years. It's up there with Glen Coe and Grange as a place that I just love to be.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are off to Puy in the New Year, part of a two week trip with first week in Ste Foy, so hoping both northern and southern alps are blessed with good snow over the coming month. Puy is a fun area to ski and the kids love it, we always have to include a week there in our annual skiing allowance. The last couple of years snow hasn't been fantastic but for a few years before that we always had great snow in Jan so hopefully it's Puy's turn again this year.
Still feels a bit early to get over-excited about any current snow but I guess we are getting to the point where rain is less likely so what's on the ground may stay. Fingers crossed>
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

it is not snowing as much as expected across the Alps?

it's November. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm excited as I'm going to Puy in Feb also.

I've been 8 or 9 times over New Year and latterly the first couple of weeks of Feb and always had good conditions and my fair share of powder days also.

Great little resort and if you time it right and have some local knowledge it can give you some great varied and challenging skiing.

Last Easter was the exception when it was to be frank bl***dy awful as most of the Southern Alps had a poor year.

This week should see falls down to 1400 and if it stays cold should set up the season nicely.

wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So any good tips for some off piste if the snow continues?
snow report
There is plenty of lift served off piste usually easily scoped from the lifts.

Tree skiing is abundant and the bowl above 2000 provides some more open off piste opportunities.

Skiers left of the rocher noir chair and duck under the ropes is a good spot between the lift line and the reservoir (you can do laps of this)

The ridge you can see on the webcam horizon is a good one to traverse across and drop in down to the bowl below.

The Narryoux Valley (off the backside) and the Col du Bal are doable with a fresh dump but if you haven't done these before hire a guide/ instructor.

In and around the trees 'bois du coqs' is a good area.

Best thing about PSV is there is rarely any serious winds( due to the slope orientation and it being protected by the surrounding peaks) so even when it snows heavily you can usually ski in relatively safe conditions and visibility.

There really are many opportunities for experienced skiers to have fun in PSV whilst still being mindful of family commitments wink

Have fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy