Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help T/O problem Obergurgl/Solden

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows to seek some help...

I have booked for Xmas in Obergurgl Austria, flying out 22nd Dec.
Travel agent has called me to say that the hotel Lohmann wont honor their/my booking Shocked

I have been given a choice of the Hotel Austria, Obergurgl or Hotel Tyrolerhof, Solden which has left me very

My problem is that the Solden hotel looks nicer following a refurbishment but lookign on the net Solden itself seems a bit too err lively shall we say.
Any honest opinions welcome and is Solden really as bad as some ake out or is it just a prudish few tainting my views? Puzzled

I have been offered a full refund but those close to the date I am not sure if I will secure anything better.

Thanks for any insights or pointers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In any "lively" areas there will be quiet spots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've been to Solden and Obergurgl quite a few times. Obergurgl is obviously more secluded and sedate but Solden isn't that bad, we are not party animals and we didn't find it so lively as the apres party seems to be quite spead out. It can be a bit lively on the mountain and there is often a party at the Giggijoch. Also the pistes are far better marked in Solden than Obergurgl! You can always take a day trip over to Obergurgl as I think a day in Obergurgl is included in the ski pass (for a couple of Euros extra, I think).
Hope that helps. J Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know obergurgl and if there is no extra to pay then i think the austria would be a good option. great food a 2 years ago and it is as right on the end of the piste. the lohman is probaly 2-300mts from the lifts and a little further out of the town ctr if you can say obergurgl has a town ctr. also the austria lounge area has a great austrian feel to it whereas the lohman is a little more modern. never been to solden so cant comment on that.
hope that helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WackyDUK, Been to Obergurgl a few times. On one occasion the transfer was very late and we drove through Solden en route as the bars were emptying. It was very "lively" with crowds staggering about drunkenly. Never seen anything quite like it. If you like cheap lager and dive bars then maybe Solden's your place, but Obergurgl has loads more class. You can still have a great apres ski time in Obergurgl - e.g. the Nederhutte.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria a better hotel in a better location and with better facilities than the Lohmann. Go for it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WackyDUK, Stayed in the Lohmann plenty of times and it's good, Austria does look a little more classy (and too pricey for us) so sounds like you may have a deal. Whatever happens, you'll have a great time. Obergurgl at Christmas is wonderful and I think a different experience from Solden.

I'd be really surprised if the Lohmann is letting you down, it's a family business with tons of repeat customers, maybe the TO is not fessing up. In which case name and shame.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The quaint mountain village of Obergurgl wil have a great atmosphere at Christmas, Sölden is more of a lads trip but both are better than Tamworth.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed at Lohmann because it was the only one in our budget for Obergurgl which is an expensive place to go. The hotel was fine but nothing special. I have just googled Hotel Austria and it is a good bit more expensive and looks WAY better with outside pool overlooking mountain etc. Lohmann doesn't even have a pool, just an indoor "wellness" area with no outlook. Personally I would grab the offer with both hands before they change their mind!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in the Austria ..now, it was about seven years ago !! but it was a great Hotel and you can ski in and out which is a great bonus ! We loved it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've done Xmas in Obergurgl twice, for the last two years, if you originally booked to stay in Obergurgl, stick with your plan.

Obergurgl & Solden are very different resorts, Hotel Austria is very well located, ski out/in, not stayed there but looks good quality and usually has good reviews.

Obergurgl for Xmas is first class, great skiing & fabulous Nederhutte for great mountain food & entertainment, you won't be disappointed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied both resorts. Much preferred Obergurgl, go for it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WackyDUK, will check tomorrow, but I think a mate stayed at
Hotel Austria last year and was very impressed. FWIW i think the brochures
have Austria at a higher price than the Lohmann
Will get back to you . . .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks like the Austria it is Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obergurgl.
snow report
Called the T/O back and swapped to the Austria in Obergurgl follwoing all the feedback.
Was unsure when offered a choice but we did originally book following all the positive recommendations for Obergurgl.

The help is mich appreciated.

Must say even though I was royally peed off as it coundlt have come at a worse time they were very good. I was already on a discount and they offered the swap with minor compo or a full refund if I decided that was my choice.

geoff your right its quite a big difference which I havent paid snowHead

Bring on the 22nd!
snow conditions
WackyDUK, I've no experience with either resort but considering what you want, I think you've made the right choice.

Now that I'm in my 30's, I rarely go on nights-out whilst in a ski resort, I just enjoy relaxing in the hotel/chalet after a long days skiing!

Discovering the joys of afternoon tea in catered chalets has done this! Cool
snow report
WackyDUK, great news. We enjoyed Obergurgl when we went there a few years back (apart from the bit where I ruptured my ACL don't recommend that bit Happy)
snow report
IMO,

Obergurgl will provide a much better Christmas feel but the skiing is far better in Solden.
snow conditions
Obergurgl is reporting 60cm fresh snow in the last 24 hrs whereas Sölden is only reporting 30 cm.

http://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
latest report
I'd like to know whats happening to other customers who have also booked the Lohmann. Is the hotel not going to honour any other bookings now? Would be strange if it was only WackyDUK's booking that was not honoured. I expect the Lohmann is one of the most popular hotels in Obergugrl with Brit customers as its one of the cheapest and offers free drinks with evening meals. Does this all mean the tour op will drop the hotel for future bookings?
snow report
jimmybog, it's not that uncommon for an overbooking to occur. I think you might be reading a little too much into the situation.
latest report
Wife of WackyDUK here (female - although the username suggests otherwise) .... Thanks for all the feedback and advice. The Lohmann is no longer listed on our T/O website so who knows. To be fair they were very apologetic but I'll be doing some detective work whilst we are there to make sure we haven't just been overbooked. Considering we booked this months ago I won't be happy if this is the case and they have only told us 4 weeks from departure. The free beer/wine was an added bonus too. Anyway, hope it all works out for the best, the snow is falling so I'm happy. Thanks again everyone!
ski holidays
Hi,

I hope you had/having a good Xmas at Obergurgl.

We booked The Lohmann last winter and were told that we had been overbooked and had to move.

I thought it was a one-off and have booked again. I'm worried now that we are going to have problems!
Sad

(ps. Hotel Austria looked good - went in there for a drink)
ski holidays
WackyDUK,
would love to know how you got on.
latest report
Hi Inycon,

We did have a great Xmas in Obergurgl thanks.

I am still not clear on why we had to move as the rep said they had guests in the Lohmann the week before.
That said the Austria was so nice that I assume we came out well.

Suspect it was just overbooking in the hotel, perhaps confirm with your T/O if your worried?

Pauljames we were very than happy with the Austria, thanks to you & everyone else who commented to help us make the choice between Obergurgl & Solden.
snow report
Great news.
latest report
WackyDUK, Excellent result Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WackyDUK,

Hi, Glad everything turned out ok and you enjoyed your holiday. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Hey,

Thought I would add to this thread rather than start a new one.

Just booked a stupidly cheap trip to Solden next week and was wandering if anyone could give me any tips on the best/cheapest way to get lift passes, ski hire and lessons, have skied a bit before and would say I'm an advanced beginner. Also any recommendations of places to lunch and apres of an evening would be awesome, I'm going by myself so somewhere social(if not to hardcore) would be sweet

Also if anyone is about let me know!!!
Very Happy
snow report
angrybeard wrote:
Hey,

Thought I would add to this thread rather than start a new one.

Just booked a stupidly cheap trip to Solden next week and was wandering if anyone could give me any tips on the best/cheapest way to get lift passes, ski hire and lessons, have skied a bit before and would say I'm an advanced beginner. Also any recommendations of places to lunch and apres of an evening would be awesome, I'm going by myself so somewhere social(if not to hardcore) would be sweet

Also if anyone is about let me know!!!
Very Happy

Was working in Solden until last week (broke foot, sent home, back in 4 weeks hopefully) where are you staying?

Sport 4 You by the Giggijoch would be my advice for hire, they can do lift pass/hire/lessons as a package and are just really nice too. Vacancia (the red ski school are also really good)

Lunch is much of a muchnes really, apres my advice would be Schirm Bar in the centre of town, Alm Rausch next to schirm for when it closes, mogul across the road can be good, Katapult is better than fire and ice and Kushtall is open to 6am if you're still going then.

More relaxed evening would be Weinfassl (our local) really nice friendly locals, load of danes and some brits, just over the bridge from fire and ice

Hope that helps
Nick
latest report
Hey Nick,

Thanks for the tips, Really sorry to hear of your plight, hope your back out again soon

Staying at chalet paul gruner? Cheap last second deal

Will check sport 4 you out, hoping that going down the group route may find me some company

That is some hardcore drinking time, lol, even with the occasional flying hirsch I think I'll get no where near 2, let alone 6...

Whats the conditions like out there, seems to look pretty reasonable?

Thanks again
Mark
ski holidays
Mark,

Guessing you're going with skiworld then, as I was chef in Paul Gruner till last weekend, Anna or Claire will help you out with all this on the bus to resort so will save you some walking around.

Company should be easy as the dining room is pretty social and theres plenty of interaction with the chalet next door (Karl Riml, about 50 guests from the two skiworld chalets) through the welcome meeting, meet the team and bar orientation (you'll get taken to all the bars I mentioned).

Conditions up the mountain are great, it may not look that great when in town but above the treeline its all good.

Have a great time
Nick
latest report
Nick,

You're right about skiworld, so do you think it is worth just going with the packages the reps offer? they seem a little pricier. Vacancia seems to have some ok prices.

What a coincidence that you've been working at the exact same chalet, I hear they get a lot of Dutch visitors? Always friendly!

Thanks for the tips so far, great getting some local knowledge!

have a Speedy recovery
Mark
snow report
Mark,

Honestly have no idea about what the prices are for any of it, the packs the reps sell are aimed to get you out skiing Sunday afternoon, pass is active from 3 and the hire shop is a minutes walk from the gondola.

Nick
latest report
springbok45,
Are you back in Solden?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy