Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thule Snow Chains...worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Look easy to fit, but at just shy of £400 they seem a bit steep, anyone got some?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I have. If you need them you need them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£400. Shocked I reckon it is worth trading up a bit from the dead basic ones. I have some Konig ones, which from memory were around 80 euros. Easy to fit and they last (I can't remember how much they were because it was so long ago). Coincidentally, having just had my snow tyres fitted I did my annual snow chain practice this afternoon, given it had stopped raining for 30 minutes. Easy enough to fit, can't imagine why anyone would pay £400.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
for £400 notes i d want them to fit themselves!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, you pay the money not for easy fitting but because they do not go around the back of the wheel and keep clear of the suspension etc. This is because many modern cars have very large wheels that give almost no clearance between the wheel and the suspension. If your car manual says you cannot fit snow chains, even narrow ones, then these are what you have to buy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can get good Thule quick release ones for around £ 100, unless you have wheel arch clearance issues.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They're more like £300 anyway, Standee, you need to shop around a bit Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah wrote:
They're more like £300 anyway, Standee, you need to shop around a bit Cool

That was on EBay, need to be big enough for my car. 255/65/17 's
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE, well thankfully my car is fine with traditional chains. My chains have been in use for 9 seasons, probably put on only twice or three times, as the snow tyres are so effective. But they've done a fair few miles now, and show no sign of wear. Fingers crossed.

Thule chains are not all the same, are they? Looking at the video for one lot of Thule chains, they DO go round the back of the wheel - so it's important to check. http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Thule+CU9+Easy-fit/

I'd strongly recommend the website of the Roofbox Company - they have a comprehensive list of cars, showing you exactly what chains are suitable. And if you need advice they are great.

If the £400 chains are the only ones that fit your car, then I guess there's no choice. But for the rest of us.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I think we're talking about the K Summit chains, we have them. Standee, no not on ebay, I just looked on Snowchains.co.uk as I think that's where ours came from but didn't look at the sizes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah wrote:
pam w, I think we're talking about the K Summit chains, we have them. Standee, no not on ebay, I just looked on Snowchains.co.uk as I think that's where ours came from but didn't look at the sizes.

I just checked, £389 for the right one's for my car, I am getting General Grabber tyres so I probably wont need them, just seem a convenient fitting compared to affing around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Standee, they're convenient, as these things go, we've had to use them in anger twice. It's quite funny watching the oncoming French point at you and try to attract your attention as they think you haven't fitted them properly as they don't go behind the wheel Laughing

We did have a problem with one of them once, it still worked ok but something had bent I think, Thule just sent out a complete full replacement chain absolutely no quibble at all.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suppose it's a bit like insurance, buying something that I hope I wont actually need, just how much easier are they to fit? I don't fancy messing around with a 2 tonne truck at the side of the road with snow tyres on, if it gets to needing chains on that then we're all in trouble!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

just how much easier are they to fit?

I've just had a look at this video
http://youtube.com/v/2syJKLQWLsw

I'd say that takes around the same time as it takes me to fit my snow chains. Mine are self-tensioning, too, so no need to stop after 100 metres or so to tighten them, as is the case with the very basic ones. That really is a pain, as having stopped somewhere safe to put the chains on, you then have stop somewhere unsafe to check they're tight enough.

I wouldn't spend that much if my car had enough clearance behind the wheel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

just how much easier are they to fit?

I've just had a look at this video
http://youtube.com/v/2syJKLQWLsw

I'd say that takes around the same time as it takes me to fit my snow chains. Mine are self-tensioning, too, so no need to stop after 100 metres or so to tighten them, as is the case with the very basic ones. That really is a pain, as having stopped somewhere safe to put the chains on, you then have stop somewhere unsafe to check they're tight enough.

I wouldn't spend that much if my car had enough clearance behind the wheel.

You can fit normal chains, that quick really?
ski holidays
Standee,

The Austrian AA tested many traction devices for cars that becuase of such things as wheel clearance can't take normal chains. The RUD Comfort Centrax came out much better than the Thule K-Summit. The Thule K-Summit worked really well on ice but wasn't very durable and failed the wear & tear test. The RUD was better on snow, passed the wear tests really well and were eaiser to mount.

Tests in german (lower marks are better)

http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C1373755%2C%2C%2CY2Q9Mw%3D%3D

http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C1373749%2C%2C%2CY2Q9OQ%3D%3D

German Translator
http://dict.leo.org/

Video in English here ..........
http://www.autow.com/snow-chains/rud-comfort-centrax/

They can be found for around €250 in central Europe.
http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/in-Autozubehoer/Schneekette/RUD-comfort-CENTRAX.html
snow conditions
Standee, the other half says they are easy to fit and easier than normal chains as you don't have to get the chain round the back. He says the important thing is to have a dry run first to work out which of the supplied wheel nut clamp things is the right one for your car so that when you come to do it for real you know straightaway.
ski holidays
Bought two sets last year for our two cars. They are very easy to fit and do work well, but would not recommend. They fall off far too easy as the clamp is not long enough, flexible enough. Also be extreamly careful when taking off as the bolts that tighten the chain can cause damage to your tyres. Also Thule's customer service left a lot to be desired.
ski holidays
@Standee, those tyres aren't snow tyres are they? If they're not snow tyres, their performance on snow/ice will be just as poor as any other "summer" tyres.

Proper winter tyres make an enormous difference. In 10 years of living in and around the alps, I've never ever felt the need for chains, and our 4x4 is not a proper 4x4.

Back on topic, a chum has a set of a similar looking rig to the Thule but the hub element is left on the car. So to fit them you just unfold. bolt them on and drive off. Really, really quick. Much quicker than on the Thule vidoe iirc. An Italian brand and for his RR Sport £250 I think. Can't recall the brand however.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-11-15 10:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
No, they were normal ones.
snow conditions
I need chains for my Disco this winter.Land Rover recommend the k summit (which cost £400)which they sell re branded as Land Rover for £700 .I popped into the Thuile shop in Windsor to get some advice as to whether I can use something cheaper but they say the same as Land Rover which is that normal chains can cause damage or interfere with electronics.I am sure the manual said that only approved snow chains should be used therefore I assume warranty would be invalid if anything went wrong.
snow report
These are the ones I have,

http://youtube.com/v/KpA_gzv-pOI

Once you set them up for your wheel they are very easy to put on and take off on my LR2.
snow conditions
These are the ones I have,

http://youtube.com/v/KpA_gzv-pOI

Once you set them up for your wheel they are very easy to put on and take off.
snow conditions
@harrim51, the very ones I was talking about. I was quite impressed.

If I needed snow chains, that's what I'd get.
ski holidays
We have some of those for our X-trail.
ski holidays
As mentioned above, shop around dude, they can be got for closer to the £300.00 mark but like ours, they are the only chains recommended for the car we have as the wrap round ones foul the suspension arms and will either wreck them or snap the chains, probably both... Crying or Very sad
latest report
While working for a film last winter in Austria, I was challenged with several sets of these chains for Landrover Freelander´s and Range Rover Evoque´s.
The first problem was decifering the instruction manual, only pictures and no explanation. The chains were the expensive Landrover ones.
I then realised I had to spend 10-15 mins per set (after the 15 mins studying the manual) making them the correct size for the appropriate vehicle. This involved removing different amounts of screws from the chains depending on the tyre size. Almost impossible with the provided cheap Allen key and Spanner. Made a little easier with my own quality tools.
Once sussed out they were simple and fast to fit, though you really need to practice in dry conditions a couple of times. (Good advice for any chains) wink
You need to mount the upper half and then drive the car a meter to get the other half on.
We had several sets fall off the cars, probably due to driving too fast.
To get them on they have to be able to stretch, so with centrifugal force (when the wheels are turning) they also stretch and become looser around the tyre. The faster you go the looser they get. Too fast and they fall off which could easily cause a lot of damage. (To be fair this can also happen with lots of other chains).
For one off use to get to where you´re going in a snow storm then they are okay, but don´t get tempted to pick up speed. I´d recommend staying under 25 mph.
If you´re going to need them regularly then try and find something more substantial. (The old fashioned/standard ones work best).
Of course if you have the problem of big/wide alloy wheels to make your car look nice, then your options are limited as you can´t use standard chains. Unless you treat yourself to a set of narrower wheels and tyres for winter of course wink
snow report
Quote:

I then realised I had to spend 10-15 mins per set (after the 15 mins studying the manual) making them the correct size for the appropriate vehicle. This involved removing different amounts of screws from the chains depending on the tyre size. Almost impossible with the provided cheap Allen key and Spanner. Made a little easier with my own quality tools.

Shocked sounds like a bit of a nightmare by the side of the road..... and a bit of a nightmare even once you've got them on. And archi-expensive! Reminds me to go and do my "start of season" chain practice sometime in the next week or so. Same (cheap) car, same (cheapish) chains as last year, but it's an annual ritual now.

My chains are theoretically self-tightening - but I find I do need to stop and fasten them tighter, even so. Can be tricky, finding somewhere safe to do that, when there's a real big lot of snow. They've never fallen off yet.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this thread was nominally about chains for an LR but has morphed into wider ranging discussion. I purchased a pair of the easy fit Thule chains last winter and they were fantastic, fitted in a couple of minutes at the side of the road.

Amazon seems to have some good prices currently http://goo.gl/NoEmb3
snow report
Quote:

fitted in a couple of minutes at the side of the road.

it doesn't have to take many minutes to fit normal kind of chains costing much less if people have the wit to practice first in easy conditions. Though the very cheap supermarket ones aren't much cop. The main argument for the super expensive ones seems to be the wheel arch clearance problem. If buying £400 chains saves two minutes a side, and you only fit them once, you're fixing the opportunity cost of your time at £100 a minute. Shocked
latest report
It is actually nice to see a thread discussing the relative merits of different snow chains instead of "Help, I have a car with stupid wheels that do not fit chains" or "Do I need chains to drive to the Med in summer". I was actually just about to start my own thread along similar lines (not wanting to revive a 3 year old one).

I am currently looking for chains for a 2010 A3. I really like the idea of the Thule K-Summit but after reading the ADAC review decided against. I also like the Thule CU-9 but they are so large when stored. So I am currently looking at the following.

RUD Hybrid
http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/rud-matic-hybrid+2500+1373748 or http://www.amazon.co.uk/RUD-4717312-RUDmatic-Intuitive-Mounting/dp/B00923IKG2/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1448401109&sr=1-2&keywords=rud+snow+chains&tag=amz07b-21

or the same as what @Markymark29 is after.
Weissenfels Clack&Go protech
http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/weissenfels-clack-go-attiwa+2500+1373746?env=Y3Q9MTQmbW9kZT1uZXh0JnBhZ2luZz15ZXNfXzEwJmJhY2s9MQ or https://snowchains.co.uk/snow-chains-fit-guide/products/?tyreSize=195/50x16&m=tg&id=303

I currently really like the look of the RUD ones as they seem very easy to use, (despite having to get out twice). Anyone one used either/both, or other recommendations? I now live in Basel and will be heading to the hills every weekend, so there is a good chance they will be needed at least one this season.
snow conditions
@scski, have you looked at the Roof Box Co website? They will tell you which chains are suitable for your car. I have found them very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly when I've asked for advice (about roof bars, rather than chains). I have these Maggi ones. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=snowchains&query=1845&vptype=&brand=Maggi&prodid=26115&TID=158

They are described as self-tensioning and they are to a degree but I inevitably end up re-hooking them up after half a mile or so, to be on the safe side. £65, and easy enough to put on. It's a knack but not the black art some people imply - just need to practice! When you see people at the side of the road unfolding the instructions you do wonder. Laughing
snow report
@scski, we use Weissenfels Clack and Go chains on my wife's A3 and they are very good. I bought them from Roof Box Co about 7-8 years ago. Easy to fit and reasonably easy to get off when wet and dirty although usually have to roll the car off of them to get them free. Her car has Michelin Alpina snow tyres on too so only rarely need to use them. Usually drive to Switzerland and generally when arriving in the village the roads are clear enough to not need chains but often find that when leaving very early and if it's snowed overnight I feel safer to slip them on in the garage where it's dry and well lit rather than chancing it on the descent. The valley road is pretty hairy in a couple of places and skid in the wrong place would be disastrous. We have found that the only limiting factor to driving around on snowy resort roads is if the depth of snow causes the car to "bottom out" only then would a 4WD or similar with higher road clearance be more useful. The Swiss are so good at snow clearing that this is never really an issue on public roads just sometimes on the driveway up from the garage. But I am told these days the super rich have heated driveways installed to avoid even this problem.
ski holidays
We have just got these Maggi Trak chains, so he says, from the Roofbox company, which were a chunk of money, but fitted very easily on our dummy run in Sussex last week. They are for a Mitsubishi Outlander which is a 4x4, has winter tyres, and is now sitting outside in the SNOW at the top of the drive. I hope I don't have to report back later on how well they work.
snow report
SPIKES SPIDERS! SOOOOO much better than faffing around with chains. Spent seven seasons in the Alps so bought these about 5 years ago. Only had to install them 3-4 times but worth every penny of the £300 plus I paid for them. They can be fitted literally in 1 or 2 minutes and removed in under a minute! Someone else mentioned The Roof Box Company. They are very good and stock these I think. Oh and they look much better than the other "quick fit" systems.
snow report
@Pamski, I'm surprised you think you need them with winter tyres and 4x4.

In 10 years (our car suggests that you can't use chains - not because of clearance I believe but because of its weird transmission) we've never needed chains and our mountain house is up a very, very steep hill above Chamonix... Puzzled
ski holidays
@under a new name, we didn't ever use them on the recent Suzuki, and only once in three years in the 2WD Berlingo before that, both cars having winter tyres. Similarly in the Freelander with winter tyres and 4WD we never used chains.

But before that we had a Subaru 4WD Outback, no winter tyres and we quite often had the chains on and off up our road and drive.

We have them now and hope not to have to use, rather like our insurance. Belt and braces.
ski holidays
@Pamski, 4WD with summer tyres just means 4 tyres slipping not two... Twisted Evil

A perfect example of the gap that's only filled by fitting winter tyres wink
ski holidays
I do wonder why people spend all the extra dosh on buying and feeding a big 4WD vehicle and then take it to the mountains on summer tyres. It just doesn't add up. I wish I'd thought to check whether the Porsche Cayenne I pulled out of a snowdrift with my Fiat Multipla had summer tyres on. Evil or Very Mad

It's interesting that winter tyres are becoming more mainstream - frequent ads for winter tyres on Classic FM at the moment. Middle England is catching on - you don't need to be driving round the mountains to justify fitting them.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Pamski, I'm surprised you think you need them with winter tyres and 4x4.

In 10 years (our car suggests that you can't use chains - not because of clearance I believe but because of its weird transmission) we've never needed chains and our mountain house is up a very, very steep hill above Chamonix... Puzzled

same here, as long as you think before you park and are mindful of where you drive I've never needed to put chains on with winter tyres.

I've struggled getting up the brevent hill once or twice so just go the long way round now if its heavy with snow!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy