Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying winter tyres in France - price?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm due to drive to France very (very) shortly. Can anyone give an indication of tyre prices, ie, will it be much more expensive to get a set fitted over there? My preference would be to drive over on some normal tyres, and then get winters fitted when I'm there, but if the prices are going to be significantly more, then I'll just get some on before I go.

Please advise.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i would get them in the UK, buying snow tyres in france can be a pain in the back bottom, i've made the mistake before and got caught having to drive about 100miles in the snow without them.

They will be cheaper in the UK as well Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine were about 250 EUR fitted I think (all four, el-cheapo budget ones) at Norauto (sort of the French version of Halfords).

It was extremely easy to arrange (necessary to speak a tiny bit of French of course). Just popped in, left the car, went shopping for a couple of hours, and went back to pay and collect the same day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
vik, Buy them here and buy them soon! Last year some sizes ran out in the UK!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is easier to get them here. Is there a particular reason why you want to drive over and then get them fitted, and have the hassle of storing the non winters?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought mine online and they came and fitted them outside my house - easy peasy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vik, it's worth having winter tyres for the drive down; weather can get nasty (in fact, one hopes it will get nasty). And ian999's point is a good one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm leaving today, weather looks alright so far, I'd have preferred to drive down on normal tyres, and it'd save me some time at this end if it was simple at the other, but I guess I'll get some before I leave, there's a good tyre near me so fingers crossed should be fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vik, good luck. My local tyre places were hopeless; had to buy online.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Next time try oponeo.fr and get them fitted by a local garage - allow 70€ or so for that depending on your car (they usually charge more for 4x4 and alloy wheels, for example).

I've bought six or so pairs from them, the online tracking sucks (doesn't exist) but they turn up fairly fast and even with fitting it's been cheaper than the chain garages. Beware a few chains are now refusing to fit internet-bought tyres because of all the sales they are losing, but the independent garages should be fine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for this - reminded me to buy some winter tyres! snowHead

I got mine from Pneu online - Avon ice touring 225 40 18 for £110 each - delivered to a local fitters who charge around £10 per tyre to fit etc - I thought a pretty good price for what seems to be a good mid range winter tyre - maybe worth trying? Was noticeably cheaper than anything equivalent at the chains - kwik fit etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can try http://www.allopneus.com/ who will deliver them to a garage for fitting (list of garages on the site when you order).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got them done in England in the end. 4 very slightly used michelins fitted for under £200 with a bit of haggling. Glad I did as my arrival in the alps has prompted a bit of snow!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albinomountainbadger,
I have recently bought tyres and rims from Oponeo and they came very speedily, one lot from Germany and the other from Poland, fitted to the rims and then to my car at local garage for around £70, and since then son, son in law and husband have all bought their winters from Oponeo - rims from Suzuki and Audi dealers though as a better price.
A few years ago we bought winters for a Freelander from our local garage in Les Gets very reasonable price - apparently.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
You should probably get steel rims for the winter tyres too, so if you get them in France it will be a pain having to carry the 4 summer wheels in the car once you have the winters fitted...

I'd get them fitted in the UK
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy